Cost of basic smart phone- in Santiago

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi
has anyone got any idea of the price of a basic smart phone (copy is ok so long as it works reliably)

if you have any reviews recommendations etc...preferably in the $40-$80 range

And where to buy in Santiago

thanks

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Paid 600 pesos for a cheap phone and I make sure I show it to as many people as possible.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
It will take about 10,000 pesos to get a phone that will support WhatsApp for your future ex-novia. Buy am iPhone 4s on ebay and bring it to her. Less headaches.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If it is for a girlfriend, just give her the money and let her make a pre-pay deal with Orange or Claro...if she can.

If it is for you, go to one of these two places and see for yourself...they have plans coming out every day. A very close friend got a
nice Huawei smart phone with wi-fi, Whatsapp, Faibu, and all the other stuff for--and I am not joking--RD$3.00 (Three pesos)...

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Squat is right. There are tons of good phones on Amazon and especially Ebay. Buy a new "old" cell and bring it here. Just make sure it is Quad Band so it will work here and unlocked also.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
My wife just bought her first used android smart phone from Claro in La Sirena. She knocked them down to 4000pesos. She uses whatsapp. We had to configure the battery as it had been a bit abused and now it lasts a few days.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The LG L70 from Metro if you can find one here.
Last year I bought the LG 70 in that States for about $70 U.S. and got it unblocked.

I have seen them in Santiago at a Claro shop on "Ensanchez Libertad" across the street from the hospital and down the street from the police station.

My wife has one surgically attached to her hand using "Whatsapp".

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Due to becoming a year older yesterday, it took me awhile to remember the name of the Claro shop - "Vargas", I used them also to unblock the LG L70 I bought in the States.

Aug 6, 2006
Here in Miami I paid some clowns $20 to unlock a phone. They showed me what they called "proof" that it was unlocked, but when I got here, it was still blocked. I suggest that you buy a used smartphone in the US and have it unblocked in the DR when you buy the chip for it.
I have bought a number of pre-smart GSM phones here for $3.00 or less. If it has a chip hiding under the battery, it will work.If not, it won't. Don't buy a phone without the charger, as you cannot count on finding a proper charger.

It is bizarre how people sell these things. I have bought a couple of phones for $2.00 and when I was checking out the charging and chip, they both had photos of some dude's schlong.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Here in Miami I paid some clowns $20 to unlock a phone. They showed me what they called "proof" that it was unlocked, but when I got here, it was still blocked. I suggest that you buy a used smartphone in the US and have it unblocked in the DR when you buy the chip for it.
I have bought a number of pre-smart GSM phones here for $3.00 or less. If it has a chip hiding under the battery, it will work.If not, it won't. Don't buy a phone without the charger, as you cannot count on finding a proper charger.

It is bizarre how people sell these things. I have bought a couple of phones for $2.00 and when I was checking out the charging and chip, they both had photos of some dude's schlong.

third time is the charm. buy one more, and it might have pictures of some girls?poon...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had alcatel one few years ago. decent phone for a low end user (that is for an average dummy who utilizes basic functions only).

Goodwrench708

Nov 1, 2015
Find a second hand Verizon Samsung Galaxy 4 or 5
Even a Verizon IPhone 5
All are factory unlocked from Verizon
Will work great in RD

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
The LG L70 from Metro if you can find one here.
Last year I bought the LG 70 in that States for about $70 U.S. and got it unblocked.

I have seen them in Santiago at a Claro shop on "Ensanchez Libertad" across the street from the hospital and down the street from the police station.

My wife has one surgically attached to her hand using "Whatsapp".

I have the same phone. I happened to buy a spare which I didn't end up using, so if anyone wants it I'll sell it for what I paid for it in the US. It's never been used.

I will say beware of buying used phones in the DR. Phones here are like cars, people typically don't sell them unless they have a problem. Most have had a shattered screen that was replaced by some 3rd party screen and the touch feedback is never the same. Used phones here all have problems with freezing and such, from circuits that have been broken when they've been dropped.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have the same phone. I happened to buy a spare which I didn't end up using, so if anyone wants it I'll sell it for what I paid for it in the US. It's never been used.

I will say beware of buying used phones in the DR. Phones here are like cars, people typically don't sell them unless they have a problem. Most have had a shattered screen that was replaced by some 3rd party screen and the touch feedback is never the same. Used phones here all have problems with freezing and such, from circuits that have been broken when they've been dropped.

i can suggest that you never buy a battery in this country. i bought 8 different batteries for my LG, and not one could hold a charge for a day. and these guys can get real cute. they give you one, with a 48 hour warranty. it dies in 24 hours, and you take it back. now the second one has only the warranty remaining, which is 24 hours. i just ordered a new one by Amazon. i am tired of Dominican games.