I thought this was illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Incredible moment a curious sperm whale swims right up to US tourists snorkeling in the Dominican Republic
Peter Allison and his family from Maryland were in the Dominican Republic when they were snorkeling off the coast
He said: 'It was an awesome experience. I felt so lucky to be able to capture this, it was a very special moment'
Mr Allison's son Marc managed to dive down along with the giant sperm whale who was joined by a pod member
The sperm whale is the largest toothed animal in the world and can dive to more than 3,280 feet while chasing squid

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rkeling-Dominican-Republic.html#ixzz3s0yMMPsw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Several years ago a woman I thought in California was grabbed by whale who took her for a dive. If I recall correctly that was illegal. Nice pics though

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sperm whales around here? First I have heard of this. More likely a humpback...at least that is what visits us each year.

On another note, they were extremely lucky the whales were not nervous; a year or so ago some folks up in the Turks and Caicos were
diving with some whales that were apparently napping, and one of them woke up and her flukes killed one person and really screwed up another.

But that video is awesome...also good (I think) publicity for the area...

HB

NOTE TO SELF: Don't be so quick to judge you hillbilly!.. After looking through those photos, that is certainly a sperm whale!
! What a freakishly awesome experience....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it would be hard to explain the whale that it was breaking the law, i recon. :cheeky: i wonder where they were. there are areas, like banco de la plata, where diving/snorkeling in season is permitted and legal, although the species observed are humpback whales. but it is an open water, any marine visitor can drop by.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It would have to be a beach with a Super steep Drop off. unless they turned that one picture and its really a Lateral pic, that whale is coming up from the deep vertically. Thats some deep deep water. Couple hundred feet at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.