US Passports to be revoked by IRS

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Makes sense to me. If you owe taxes, pay them. I find it hard to believe that someone living outside the US would not know that they owe $50,000 or more in taxes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Makes sense to me. If you owe taxes, pay them. I find it hard to believe that someone living outside the US would not know that they owe $50,000 or more in taxes.

If they lived in a place where the IRS cannot send them mail, why would it be hard to believe? From that very article it points out how useless the IRS contact system is:

Charles Bruce, a lawyer who advises the expatriate group American Citizens Abroad, highlighted a report from the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration that found that the IRS sent 855,000 notices to U.S. citizens living abroad in 2014, but the tax agency's "data systems aren't designed to accommodate the different styles of international addresses, which can cause notices to be undeliverable." The report added that "current IRS processes for addressing international mail issues are ineffective or nonexistent

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If they lived in a place where the IRS cannot send them mail, why would it be hard to believe? From that very article it points out how useless the IRS contact system is:

Charles Bruce, a lawyer who advises the expatriate group American Citizens Abroad, highlighted a report from the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration that found that the IRS sent 855,000 notices to U.S. citizens living abroad in 2014, but the tax agency's "data systems aren't designed to accommodate the different styles of international addresses, which can cause notices to be undeliverable." The report added that "current IRS processes for addressing international mail issues are ineffective or nonexistent

Wouldn't you notice that your bank account has grown by quite a bit. Unless you have been in a coma for a year or more how could you not know. Its not like taxation is a new invention.
I'm pretty sure the idea of being taxed on money made has been around for awhile.
If people took responsibility for themselves instead of crying victim all the time things like this wouldn't be a problem

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wouldn't you notice that your bank account has grown by quite a bit. Unless you have been in a coma for a year or more how could you not know. Its not like taxation is a new invention.
I'm pretty sure the idea of being taxed on money made has been around for awhile.
If people took responsibility for themselves instead of crying victim all the time things like this wouldn't be a problem

I am a huge proponent of personal responsibility. And I actually have no problem with the USG revoking passports of those who don't pay taxes.. But I am also a huge proponent of due process. The current scheme forgoes due process and puts the IRS directly in charge of revoking passports. You might like that approach.

That said, the USG is the only government outside of some tiny African country that keeps their tax hooks on their citizens no matter where they live. Money to fight ridiculous wars is badly needed.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I agree with most of your points. It just seems to me that chances are really good that most Americans living here in the DR that owe taxes know it. So if the IRS can't get in contact with them, there should be an incentive for these people to contact the IRS and own up to their responsibilities.
Pulling a passport is a strong incentive. I prefer a strong direct approach rather than a warm and fuzzy we will get around to it approach.
But that's just me

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Please remember the DR content component to your posts. While the topic may apply to other countries, in this forum specifically mentioning the Dominican Republic in your posts keeps you and me out of trouble.

Bring the thread back into line with the posting rules or it will be closed.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks. Thought I had said DR but after a re-read I didn't. It has been edited

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please remember the DR content component to your posts. While the topic may apply to other countries, in this forum specifically mentioning the Dominican Republic in your posts keeps you and me out of trouble.

Bring the thread back into line with the posting rules or it will be closed.

If you live in the DR and the IRS sends you a letter your chances of getting it are slim and none.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What if a person is a legal resident currently living here, his/her passport expires, can it be renewed with this IRS thing hanging over their heads.
And, can that person even return to the states with an expired passport that cannot be renewed.....
Could they even purchase a plane ticket to leave with an expired passport.......

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
What if a person is a legal resident currently living here, his/her passport expires, can it be renewed with this IRS thing hanging over their heads.
And, can that person even return to the states with an expired passport that cannot be renewed.....
Could they even purchase a plane ticket to leave with an expired passport.......
This and other scenarios such as identity theft here in the DR and elsewhere is exactly why these are all valid concerns.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I don't see anything wrong with this and in fact if living outside of the country, like the DR as many are here escaping taxes and other things they "owe", maybe a 60 day grace period for you to go home and take care of things before your passport become invalid.

Bob K

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you let your tax bill accumulate to over $50,000 I don't see how another 60 days can help you. They only way they know about foreign income is if you report it. If you have gone that far check with them from time to time to see how much you owe.
It's guite simple. If you make money pay your tax. If you have no intention of ever paying it or returning to the US then there's no problem. Sit back and enjoy.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If you let your tax bill accumulate to over $50,000 I don't see how another 60 days can help you. They only way they know about foreign income is if you report it. If you have gone that far check with them from time to time to see how much you owe.
It's guite simple. If you make money pay your tax. If you have no intention of ever paying it or returning to the US then there's no problem. Sit back and enjoy.

If you don't have a valid passport, you cannot renew your Cedula or Residence card.....

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you don't have a valid passport, you cannot renew your Cedula or Residence card.....

Another reason to play by the rules. I don't think they buy that " I'm a citizen of the world" crap here.