Gout and Availability of Medicines in Santiago

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Myself and other dr1 posters that I have communicated with, to put it mildly, suffer from Gout.
Anyone that suffers from Gout understands the severity of this malady.
Once a Gout attack starts, it can cripple you for days or even weeks at a time.
The last time I was in the States, I returned with a large supply of Allopurinal 300MG pills, which are now close to being depleted
Allopurinal daily with large amounts of water gave me the best results to date. I have tried different concoctions to no avail.
I have to stock up again, but, some of my Dominican friends have informed me that a substantial amount of RX drugs sold here could be counterfeit.

1. From your personal experiences, what Drugstores in Santiago, preferably area of (Calle Del Sol or El Monumento) have you had dealings with and never had problems with your purchases.
2. If you suffer from Gout, what different medications have you tried and have had success with.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A lot of studies recommend a double dose of Colchicine @ onset, then one more single dose, in combination with Allopurinol therapy. I take Allopurinol 100 mg BID, only had one sore toe in my life, but have issues with Uric Acid building up.

Cherries are supposed to help, but I believe this is a myth, I enjoy cherry concentrate & seltzer, a healthy drink. You may be able to find cherry concentrate @ a GNC type of store. It can't hurt, and you can add Vodka to it!

Last edited:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
100 mg is a small dose, it sounds like you have a mild case, you're lucky, watch watch watch your diet.
Have done the cherry juice route from GNC in the states, on a regular basis, extremely expensive.
A gallon or more of water a day helps a lot with my 300 mg daily.
I cannot afford to end up with counterfeit Allopurinol here, it would be disastrous......

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
100 mg is a small dose, it sounds like you have a mild case, you're lucky, watch watch watch your diet.
Have done the cherry juice route from GNC in the states, on a regular basis, extremely expensive.
A gallon or more of water a day helps a lot with my 300 mg daily.
I cannot afford to end up with counterfeit Allopurinol here, it would be disastrous......

I take 2 a day (BID), yes mild case, but had bad Uric Acid stones, so I take this crap to keep Uric Acid level below 5.0.
I also take Urocit 15 MEQ TID for pH regulation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the medicine that is most likely to be counterfeit in DR is the one that is most popular and most frequently sold. the top of the list is always occupied by various erectile dysfunction pills, then acetaminophen, diclofenac and hypertension meds. allopurinol is widely available but is not sold so frequently to appear on the counterfeiters' radar.

generally speaking a large pharmacy is more trustworthy. they buy larger quantities of medicine so they get better prices/offers and may be not be tempted to purchase something under the table. alternatively you can ask your doctor to put you in touch with a rep selling allopurinol. some of them will sell several boxes to individual clients.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was about to suggest it too although i personally only go to clinica union but i never purchased anything in their pharmacy. but here in POP a pharmacy in bournigal is one of the best in town.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can "trust" Farmax (on Calle del Sol--it was Farmacia Normal--THE pharmacy of Santiago years ago and the mother store of the chain)
Also Farmacia Carol.
The pharmacies at Corominal and Centro Medico Cibao are fine.

HB

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You can "trust" Farmax (on Calle del Sol--it was Farmacia Normal--THE pharmacy of Santiago years ago and the mother store of the chain)
Also Farmacia Carol.
The pharmacies at Corominal and Centro Medico Cibao are fine.

HB

Thank you, I have to refill today for the first time here.
I've been informed that a prescription for Allopurinol is not needed here, even though one is needed in the States.
That saves me a day not waiting for one in a clinic.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Side note:

The "People's" (Not actual name) farmacias like the one at the main public hospital in Santiago (Near EPS) has much better prices, only problem is that they have limited medications available. My mother-in-law needed a special injection shot while confined to a clinic and they told us it was cheaper for us to go to the people's farmacia, purchase the "shot" and bring it back for them to administer. We saved a few thousand pesos.

Farmax only gives a 6-7% discount and not the normal 10% btw.

Last edited:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
My Dr gave me Naproxen 500 mg to treat it. I keep a supply on hand and it does the trick pretty quick when the pain comes on. I take one when it starts and maybe three or four more thru out a couple days and it's usually gone. Sometimes will get a another flare up in a day or two but usually that's it.

It's not something I would want to take for any extended period of time though. Bad for stomach and I've heard it causes weight gain. It's the only med I've ever taken that I have to take food with. Otherwise I'm practically throwing up after I take it (without food).

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
One of them is at the Main Hospital in Santiago, across from the park on Sabana Lago (The one way street where you turn right to get to EPS when coming from the city). Only do not turn off Sabana Lago, go to the next intersection (Before the traffic light at 27th), which is a "T" intersection, turn left to enter the turn about at the hospital, the famacia is just to the right before entering the hospital.

"Y" should know where it is, she goes by there to get to EPS.

Another one is the hospital on Ensanchez Libertad across from where I took you to get your cell phone once, but that is across town, too far away for you.

Don

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Tell us a bit about what gout is, please. My father complained about it in his final years, and I think maybe that is what hurts in my toe, but not sure.
Thanks
Der Fish

When your big toe (Hallux toe) starts to hurt, this is normally on your right foot, go for a simple blood workup at a clinic close to you.
Just 1 test is necessary, you want to know what is the level of uric acid in your bloodstream.
You will then know if you have an onset of the Gout.
The reference range of uric acid is typically 3.4-7.2 mg/dL (200-430 ?mol/L) for men (1 mg/dL=59.48 ?mol/L), and 2.4-6.1 mg/dL for women (140-360 ?mol/L).

If you have a Gout attack, YOU WILL KNOW IT!!!!!!!
It feels like someone is cutting off your foot..........

National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases:

Gout is one of the most painful forms of arthritis. It occurs when too much uric acid builds up in the body.
The buildup of uric acid can lead to: Sharp uric acid crystal deposits in joints, often in the big toe.
Deposits of uric acid (called tophi) that look like lumps under the skin.