CNN Today DR Beaches

kamili

Nov 17, 2015
I notice Barahona included among the ten best beaches in DR, isn't there a commercial port(?) there? The beach must be poluted and unhealthy.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
If you click where it says, 'Click here for more stories, tips and photos,' you'd see the one unpardonable mistake that each altagraciano is dutifully obligated to point out: Bayahibe is not en La Romana; it's in the province of La Altagracia.

It's a solemn promise we made to our three Founding Fathers: Juan, Pablo, y Duarte

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And my personal favorite, Playa Palenque

DSC00291.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
They must not have gone to Macao beach. When you pass the marine hut and go down the hill its truly a beautiful beach. With the high surf, cliffs below Roco Ki and the turquoise water its tough to beat

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Puerto Plata made the List ?..
where, show me ONE nice beach there.. I rather go to Nagua, and Nagua has some beach streches filled with plastic bottles and Garbage..

LOL

Rincon obviously.. but the missed a lot of other good ones.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
They must not have gone to Macao beach. When you pass the marine hut and go down the hill its truly a beautiful beach. With the high surf, cliffs below Roco Ki and the turquoise water its tough to beat

It's hard to believe Macao Beach is not on a DR list. It is the first place we bring all visitors.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's hard to believe Macao Beach is not on a DR list. It is the first place we bring all visitors.

I suppose a lot depends on where you're based in DR. In 40 years, we've never been to Macao, but it is on our bucket list.

There are 'unnamed' beaches on the south coast - I'm sure it's the same on the north and east??? Last year we drove to Nizao with our electrician to buy something, we don't live very far from there. The Nizao River empties into the Caribbean there, and along the river are many frituras, etc., and people crowd the river.

What we never knew until that day is that there is an oceanfront beach too. When the electrician mentioned it, we were confused, and asked him to show us. He directed us to a non-descript corner and had us turn - he warned us that we'd have to ask permission to proceed, and sure enough there were some relaxed guards on folding chairs down a bit. This dirt road goes through someone's private property. It's a long road, a couple of miles of bumpy dirt, and it's like you've reached shangri-la when you reach the ocean. There were several other cars there, people just chilling and walking. No one selling anything, no facilities of any kind, just serene beauty. I snapped a couple of photos. Sorry they're all sideways :)

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
AE, those are beautiful. We have visited some non-touristy beaches with my wife's cousins on the south coast. It is always a pleasure. When my wife was a little girl. Her great-uncle used to take them camping on the beach. That site is now called Cap Cana.

Macao is far from deserted like the beaches you described. It is breathtaking and well worth the trip. They have cooks to grill fish for you, but it has been discovered by dune buggies and many others long ago.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

I will agree that physically speaking, Macao is a spectacular beach. That is, until the weekend rolls around, and every dominican with a boombox turns up.
Oh, and lets not leave out Papichulo, who pulls up next to your table, opens the rear hatch of his Tahoe, and decides its a good idea to crank out dembow at 105dbm.