Sosua Xmas dinners?

Jul 28, 2014
There may be a thread in place already, so feel free to move this Mods should there be one... The question is, what places in Sosua are doing some sort of Xmas dinner, whether it be the 24th or 25th? I'm not necessarily looking for a turkey dinner, but just something that's not a typical nights fare.

I know the Jolly typically has a bash, and believe the Britannia does a dinner, although with the Brit having new owners, I am not sure what the new guys plan is. So, if anyone happens to know some additional places, it would be great to get your feedback.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Frank does a nice meal at Jose O'Shays. I ate that last year.
Anyone know if Fraggil Rock is doing something?

jwk1

May 30, 2009
www.ezpcusa.com
Rocky's do a Christmas meal, toy's for the kids as well!

We (at Rocky's) do NOT do a Christmas dinner.

In the past we have done a new years eve dinner and after that is when we give out all of the gifts to the needy children. Those gifts are purchased with the profit from thanksgiving dinner and any donations that people offer. However, thanksgiving had two large group reservations of 8 people each that did not even bother to show up. Also a couple of smaller reservations did not show either. This caused us to run at a loss because of the extra food we had purchased and prepared cost money and of course we did not have the income from the dinners for the reservations that screwed us.

Its really sad honestly. I was really looking forward to keeping the tradition alive. However, I had to pay the loss for thanksgiving, so I am really not wanting to dig into my own pocket further and be the only person buying gifts even if it is for a good cause. So...... unless something changes and we get a some donations or something, I will likely have to cancel the gifting tradition this year as well. Makes me quite sad...... and perhaps a bit sick to the stomach. People can really let you down hard.....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

HOE HOE HOE, is that you Rick, are they feeding you OK?

That is truly a shame about the tradition, I am sure a mini version could be arranged.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Frank does a nice meal at Jose O'Shays. I ate that last year.
Anyone know if Fraggil Rock is doing something?

Fraggle Rock intends to do a Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. There will also be something (not certain what) on the day following Christmas Day.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
In the past we have done a new years eve dinner and after that is when we give out all of the gifts to the needy children. Those gifts are purchased with the profit from thanksgiving dinner and any donations that people offer. However, thanksgiving had two

Its really sad honestly. I was really looking forward to keeping the tradition alive. However, I had to pay the loss for thanksgiving, so I am really not wanting to dig into my own pocket further and be the only person buying gifts even if it is for a good cause. So...... unless something changes and we get a some donations or something, I will likely have to cancel the gifting tradition this year as well. Makes me quite sad...... and perhaps a bit sick to the stomach. People can really let you down hard.....

I have a fair number of soft toys I can let you have. I buy them through the year from Jacqueline who walks the streets of Sosua selling them, and then at Christmas I give them to organisations who can ensure they go to children who won't get much else. Let me know if you decide to go ahead with your normal tradition.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I am not a lover of Christmas Dinners but if you can tell me how to make a donation to permit you to distribute gifts to poor children then I will most gladly contribute

Thanks

In the past we have done a new years eve dinner and after that is when we give out all of the gifts to the needy children. Those gifts are purchased with the profit from thanksgiving dinner and any donations that people offer. However, thanksgiving had two large group reservations of 8 people each that did not even bother to show up. Also a couple of smaller reservations did not show either. This caused us to run at a loss because of the extra food we had purchased and prepared cost money and of course we did not have the income from the dinners for the reservations that screwed us.

jwk1

May 30, 2009
www.ezpcusa.com
WOW! what a pleasant surprise! We will gladly accept donations of children's toys or money. I personally guarantee that ALL of it will be hand delivered to kids in need..... and I even welcome you to come along with me to participate in the deliver which will occur at 9pm on New Year's eve night. The amount of gifts to be distributed with directly depend on the amount of donations received. However, if I see this generosity from other, I will do so as well to grow the pile.

Please feel free to come talk to me directly with any questions or donations.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Only DR 1 can make this so complicated,,
I shall make a tour of the establishments tomorrow or Tuesday and report back.
Are we talking 24th Dec Euro evening feast from 19;00 til oblivion or British at 12noon 25th Dec till oblivion?

jwk1

May 30, 2009
www.ezpcusa.com
Ok..... I must be clear....

there is NO christmas dinner/meal at Rocky's. We are accepting toy and money donation for the needy kids, and those gifts will be distributes on new year's eve (december 31) which is when we have always done it. There is going to be a big dinner special including all-you-can-drink as well that night. All are welcome, regardless of if you are having the special, to go with us to distribute gifts that evening.

My name is Jesse, I am at Rocky's most of the time except for a few days including Christmas when I will be in the US with my family. Other than that, anyone is welcome to come by any time to donate toys or funds for toys, ask questions, or whatever.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
jesse I would also be willing to make a donation for the toys ....I am in new York...can you recommend a way of getting the donation to you?
please advise of the best way for you to receive it
thanks

jwk1

May 30, 2009
www.ezpcusa.com
jesse I would also be willing to make a donation for the toys ....I am in new York...can you recommend a way of getting the donation to you?
please advise of the best way for you to receive it
thanks

Unless you are coming into the country, the best way would be money that we can use to purchase items here. You could send toys, but then we both have to pay shipping (you to miami - then me from miami to sosua) and import taxes and such. So yeah... in this case money is better. You can use Paypal, credit card, western union, xoom, or even mail a check. If you would like to do this, please PM me and I will give you details on how to send with whatever method you prefer. You could also call me at 809-330-0594 if you prefer.
Thanks everyone!