Sometimes you just have to shake your head

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've seen people attempt a lot of ill conceived things at home. I have seen people do a lot of dumb things here in the DR. In the former, these pretty much boil down to momentary lapses in judgment. In the case of the later, it seems to me to to be a more fundamental and ongoing failing.

Last week, three cows died in the finca next to my community. Had this happened anywhere but here in the DR, I probably would never have known. However, the carcasses where left to ripen in the sun for 3 or 4 days so it became difficult not to notice something rather large was set on "rapid decompose". It became necessary to inquire with the farmer as to his intentions. Turns out he was saving up for and looking for a suitable container to purchase a couple gallons of gasoline with the intention of cremating the recently departed where they fell.

After explaining the futility of the proposed course of action based on the mass to be rendered to ashes and the limited application of combustion sustaining fuel, the farmer scratched his head and asked if we would be interested in paying for a truck to come and cart off the source of this unpleasant olfactory assault? So there they lie, and the search for a non leaking plastic bottle continues...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If I was that farmer, I would have been more concerned why 3 cows happened to die at the same time.
Maybe he thought they died of heatstroke......

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm sure it is a combination of a lack of food, lack of water, lack of antibiotics and probably massive blood loss from a tick infestation.

The farmer only seems interested in letting time and the buzzards completely take care of the situation or intervening only after this becomes as unpleasant as possible.