errede

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
disclaimer: for those who have not seen me, i am as white as a bleached anus of an arctic fox burrowing in a pile of fleshly fallen snow in the forests of siberia.

today i was doing an annual checkup in union medica. after a long waiting time i sat down to have blood sample taken. the nurse took a look at my name (unmistakably eastern european) and my pale face and then started small talk.

nurse: are you from brasil?
me: no, i am from poland.
nurse: oh, an asian country.
nurse helper (peeking inside to listen to our conversation): i told you she looked asian!
nurse: so, you must take 3 or 4 planes to get home.
me: only two.
nurse: it is a long journey through the equator.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Ah So!
Now you are trying to tell us that Porand is not in Asia?

I understand the conundrum.
Everything, except for Dominican babies,vegetables and pork chops, that we get over here is made in China.
You are not, apparently, a Dominican baby, nor any of the other comestibles,

Thus,
You are from China,
And therefore Asian...

Need many pranes get homee..Ah shame.Equator many thick..

QED

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a week ago a friend was trying to transfer money to poland.
bank clerk: in what country is it?
friend: poland is a country.
bank clerk: such country does not exist, i don't have it on the list.
(true enough, it's republica de polonia but they were doubtful it is the same place)

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
A few weeks ago I tried to send a document to Latvia. I could do it with Fedex or DHL, but I decided to try less expensive options like USPS mail with EPS or Mailboxes ETC.

My first attempt with EPS was totally unsuccessful, they had no idea what is Latvia, where is it and it was not on their list of countries. Anyway, I successfully sent it from Mailboxes ETC for less than 500 pesos.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Kelly Pickler thinks Budapest is in France... and Europe is a COUNTRY..

so there is that.
and lets not even think about the famous " why we cant locate America on MAPS" video of miss teen 2007 South Carolina..

such as South Africa and Iraq, and the Asian Countries,, such as..

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I was asked in BanReservas the other day for my nationality when I needed to buy some Dollars.
"It's on my Cedula" I told her.
"But Gran Britania is not in my system"
"Try Inglaterra?"
"No"
"Try Reino Unido?"
"No"
"Try UK"
"Ah si! Eso"
"Wow, you must have many passports, don't you?"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is so true (about lack of teaching basic geography)!!!!!!!!!!!

Next semester, I will be teaching a graduate course in Critical Geography (Geograf?a Cr?tica) to teachers and administrators.
I am really worried about just where to begin...This is A? This is B? I think I will have to greet them with a basic worksheet to find
out just what they do and don't know and start from there. Statistics? Hummm...

Data management? Critical analysis of migrations? Urban geography? We'll see where that goes.

God bless.

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is so true (about lack of teaching basic geography)!!!!!!!!!!!

Next semester, I will be teaching a graduate course in Critical Geography (Geograf?a Cr?tica) to teachers and administrators.
I am really worried about just where to begin...This is A? This is B? I think I will have to greet them with a basic worksheet to find
out just what they do and don't know and start from there. Statistics? Hummm...

Data management? Critical analysis of migrations? Urban geography? We'll see where that goes.

God bless.

HB

i love it, HB. a graduate course in geography to people to people who probably have no idea where to find the Turks and Caicos on a map of the world, even though it is about an hour away by plane. i can understand a grown man having difficulty with the location of Myanmar, but when i am asked if Trinidad is in Jamaica, i really shudder to believe what i was just asked.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've encountered BanReservas staff who had to ask me in which countries Washington DC and Nairobi were located, and a Western Union clerk who did not know which part of the world Paraguay was in.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've encountered BanReservas staff who had to ask me in which countries Washington DC and Nairobi were located, and a Western Union clerk who did not know which part of the world Paraguay was in.

i am not familiar with the high school syllabus in this country, but my experiences with people here tells me that geography is not one of the required courses. i have not met a dozen people in all my time here who have a clue about anything further than Samana.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Never mind high school, how can you live on this earth for 20, 30 or 40 years and not absorb that information?

Jul 28, 2014
The novia knows all about the Blue Jays, and all the Dominicans that play on the team, but has no clue WHERE EXACTLY Canada is, let alone Toronto in it...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Many people in Santo Domingo Este truly believe they live on the east of the DR and will argue to the death over it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember the first time I met Mr. AE's paternal grandmother. She heard me speak English and asked if I was American [in a puzzled voice], he said yes. She said "But I thought she looked Italian", and he said I was. She asked me something in Italian, that I understood but couldn't reply to, and she was even more confused. She herself had Italian ancestry [Vesco, that became Besco, then totally Dominicanized to Beco - they "lose" the letter "S"], but still thought we were lying about something, haha.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
People around the World are unbelievable unaware of the status of the World geography and the placement of countries. Don't think is taught well in schools anywhere, anymore. When I was a kid, we spent at 3-4 hours a week in grammar school on geography (I loved it) and my World Globe at home was my best form of entertainment as, even in the 50's, TV sucked!

It is probably not as it is used to be, but some place in the world are worse than others. Americans are particularly bad (from a Dominican with a third world education is more understable imo).

If you knew how many times I was asked if Paris was in the UK.

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
i am not familiar with the high school syllabus in this country, but my experiences with people here tells me that geography is not one of the required courses. i have not met a dozen people in all my time here who have a clue about anything further than Samana.

I finally broke down and bought a globe that I use whenever I talk about the world with various friends and etc. I have thought about tackling the solar system but then I think again.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I've told this here before, but it's still funny: once a girl working at a customer asks me: where does this paper come from? I reply: from Europe. She asks: Ah ok, where in Europe, Canada?

Sep 4, 2012

I really wonder whom your acquaintances are?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I've told this here before, but it's still funny: once a girl working at a customer asks me: where does this paper come from? I reply: from Europe. She asks: Ah ok, where in Europe, Canada?

I never say Europa in DR, I have seen the blanks stare.

Francia...Blank stare (I think because I am morena).

So, I say Americana...just faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.