Obtaining Medical Certificate for Residency in Miami/South Florida

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Does anyone know who the DR consulate authorizes to issue a certificate in South Florida?

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
If this is for your residency visa, your local doctor can issue a certificate (letter) of general good health and free of communicable diseases. Next you will need to get it notarized, then the notary authenticated with the county clerk, and finally an apostille on that signature by the state.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Hi Irie. That was the process I was going to do.. But someone said that it had to be an approved doctor with the consulate. I sent a email to the consulate but they haven't answered.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Unless something has changed, the medical exams are done in the DR only.

Unless I have incorrect information (this is what I read and was told to do by the consulate a good while ago), there are actually two medical exams. One from your country of residence, which has to be translated/legalized and sent to the immigration in SDQ. Then, once you are in the DR, you have to go the immigration, and take the second medical exam, only that this is much more comprehensive than the first one. In my case, the foreign embassy approved a simple letter from a general doctor in EU, stating that I have no known diseases and I?m in good health. The real tests would be done then in SDQ by the immigration.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Unless I have incorrect information (this is what I read and was told to do by the consulate a good while ago), there are actually two medical exams. One from your country of residence, which has to be translated/legalized and sent to the immigration in SDQ. Then, once you are in the DR, you have to go the immigration, and take the second medical exam, only that this is much more comprehensive than the first one. In my case, the foreign embassy approved a simple letter from a general doctor in EU, stating that I have no known diseases and I?m in good health. The real tests would be done then in SDQ by the immigration.

Same here only a few months ago, July.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Thank you very much for that information Josh.. I did obtain the local Doctor and am having it apostilled now.

But the more I read, the more it seamed like this was something that had to be done in DR. On the Embassy website it talks about extra steps once you reach DR. Guess this is one of those.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Where are those blood tests and Xrays done? Can you get it in Puerto Plata or do you have to go to Santo Domingo? Figure I ask now instead of waiting until January. I am moving to Cabarete.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Where are those blood tests and Xrays done? Can you get it in Puerto Plata or do you have to go to Santo Domingo? Figure I ask now instead of waiting until January. I am moving to Cabarete.

Migracion will make an appointment for you at their affiliated clinic in Santo Domingo when you get to that stage of the process. Sorry, has to be done by them*.

*Unless something changes-which has been know to happen from time to time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Migracion will make an appointment for you at their affiliated clinic in Santo Domingo when you get to that stage of the process. Sorry, has to be done by them*.

*Unless something changes-which has been know to happen from time to time.

Correct, which is why I was surprised to see you also now need a medical exam in your home country. Redundant.

I even had to go to Santo Domingo twice for residency renewal, because of the wait time to get the results of the medical exam at Migracion's dedicated location for such tests.

(Unless something changes.)

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Correct, which is why I was surprised to see you also now need a medical exam in your home country. Redundant.

I even had to go to Santo Domingo twice for residency renewal, because of the wait time to get the results of the medical exam at Migracion's dedicated location for such tests.

(Unless something changes.)

I believe the medical exam he is getting is for the residency visa (60 day) which is the first step in the process. Unfortunately that visa is required to be obtained in a persons home country under the new rules, so hence a certificate from one's own doctor.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe the medical exam he is getting is for the residency visa (60 day) which is the first step in the process. Unfortunately that visa is required to be obtained in a persons home country under the new rules, so hence a certificate from one's own doctor.

Understood. Rules is rules and that is one of them now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Correct, the medical letter at home is primarily a requirement for the passport visa. I believe all you need is a letter from a doctor that states that you have none of the serious communicable diseases and are not likely to keel over in the imminent future.