Best Place to Buy Smart Phone w/o Plan?

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hey Guys,

A friend of mine needs to purchase a new smart phone without a monthly plan.

Any suggestions on how to begin this process.

She would prefer a Samsung Galaxy phone because we heard you do not need a monthly plan, but she is open to other brands.

She regularly travels to Puerto Plata, Sosua and Caberette so any stores in these locations would be great.
But I am certain she would have no objection to go to Santiago.

Any help or insight provided is appreciated.

Thanks.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
amazon has a huge selection of unlocked phones available - many under us$200 so you dont have to pay 47% local tax & duty

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
amazon has a huge selection of unlocked phones available - many under us$200 so you dont have to pay 47% local tax & duty

Thank you for the quick reply.

I don't understand.

How will she not have to pay 47% local tax and duty?
Won't the government add on a fee when it is shipped to her?

I am ignorant when it comes to this subject so any clarification is appreciated.

Thanks

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Amazon is the place. Get a Moto G, or a Moto E if you're on a tight budget. No tax on those.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How will she not have to pay 47% local tax and duty?
Won't the government add on a fee when it is shipped to her?

purchase of items under 200 dollars is duty free. in order to buy from amazon one needs an account with shipper such as EPS, BM cargo and so on. the purchases made over the intern et are then shipped to the po box in miami and from there to DR where they can be picked up in courier's office (some deliver to your door). they charge per shipping weight.

i suggest looking online this weekend as there would be lots of offers. moto g is a nice phone (i had it before) and is under 200 bucks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ebay is very good also. Especially the prices for buy now phones. If you see a phone you like on Amazon check the price on Ebay also. Usually Ebay is less.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ebay or Amazon. Under $200 US. No duty when shipped to the DR. Just make sure it is an unlocked phone or one you are sure that can be unlocked.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there are smart phones on sale on every block in the DR. you can go to the kiosk in Jose Luis and buy a good used smartphone. i see no reason why anyone needs to go through hoops to get one here. they are everywhere. there are as many cellphone shops as there are churches, bancas, and hairdresser shops.