I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
After 7 years I'm done with this place. There is no need for me to rant on about what's wrong with this place because we all seen those threads before. I'm leaving for the same reasons others left.

With that in mind I need to hear from the people that lived in other Latin Countries. I'm trying to decide between Colombia(central), Honduras, or Panama. Of those 3 countries which have a better business climate, friendliest people, and best infrastructure?

I loved this place a few years ago, but when my house was robbed recently I finally had enough. The worse part about getting robbed is I have a rottweiler. So I asked my lady(we were together for 4 years) how did they get past the dog? The dummy had the dog locked away. Which makes me think that A-She had something to do with the robbery or B-She really is that stupid.

Everyday is something new here and am ready to move on. Any advice about the other countries will be appreciated. Thanks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
After 7 years I'm done with this place. There is no need for me to rant on about what's wrong with this place because we all seen those threads before. I'm leaving for the same reasons others left.

With that in mind I need to hear from the people that lived in other Latin Countries. I'm trying to decide between Colombia(central), Honduras, or Panama. Of those 3 countries which have a better business climate, friendliest people, and best infrastructure?

I loved this place a few years ago, but when my house was robbed recently I finally had enough. The worse part about getting robbed is I have a rottweiler. So I asked my lady(we were together for 4 years) how did they get past the dog? The dummy had the dog locked away. Which makes me think that A-She had something to do with the robbery or B-She really is that stupid.

Everyday is something new here and am ready to move on. Any advice about the other countries will be appreciated. Thanks.

your lady is no dummy. the dog did not lock himself away. she did it, so her chulo could rob you. it?s that simple.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have friends that live near David, Panama and they claim the area ( northern Panama) is safe, gringo friendly, good climate, medical....etc. They've been there since 2012 and apparently have no issues. Honduras is a very dangerous country, for everyone. What kind of business climate are you seeking.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

And you live where in the DR?

Trust me, parts of Colombia are no better. I know, I have been living and visiting the past 7 years.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I will agree with Bob. Panam? is probably a better choice. There is a major ex-pat community in northern Panam?, their currency
is stable and their government is committed to creating a business/service oriented economy.

Colombia has perhaps a nicer climate than most of Panam? in the Cali/Medell?n area and really beautiful people--especially the women--according to reliable sources.

Look close in order to find out who robbed your house...

HB

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
your lady is no dummy. the dog did not lock himself away. she did it, so her chulo could rob you. it?s that simple.

Her excuse was people are poisoning rottweilers. Even though it does happen I'm not buying it. But I' also mad at the neighbors. Granted it was 2am, but how can they not notice someone kicking down a door? Or a strange vehicle parked outside? Calmado is across the street. There is also an engineering business across the street with security cameras. Conveniently the vehicle parked in a blind spot.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
I have friends that live near David, Panama and they claim the area ( northern Panama) is safe, gringo friendly, good climate, medical....etc. They've been there since 2012 and apparently have no issues. Honduras is a very dangerous country, for everyone. What kind of business climate are you seeking.

Most likely IT and I'm about to get my export license soon. Taxes and custom duties are very high in the dr. Panama is cheaper to do business?

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
I think I will agree with Bob. Panam? is probably a better choice. There is a major ex-pat community in northern Panam?, their currency
is stable and their government is committed to creating a business/service oriented economy.

Colombia has perhaps a nicer climate than most of Panam? in the Cali/Medell?n area and really beautiful people--especially the women--according to reliable sources.

Look close in order to find out who robbed your house...

HB

I should of stayed in Santiago.. You gave me advice, but I was hard headed. Lesson learned...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A good friend of mine has lived in Panama for 10 years and is very happy and safe.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

David is very very very HOT!!!!!!!!!

Beenaway

May 27, 2013

David is cool - seems that there are quite a lot of home invasions in Boquette these days but you make your own luck with that kind of thing.
Bit of a trek from Panama City where you would probably fly into but the road widening will be finished in 2016 apparently....

I just came back from 4 months in Panama - great place - you can drink the water, 24/7 electricity, internet easily as good as Europe.... a proper OECD country. I must say though that the most incredible place I went was Costa Rica - utterly amazing country.

Panama is like a grown-up version of DR where it all kind of works like advertised but still has the 'island life' vibe.... puts DR to shame...

$1.20 per gallon for diesel, cheap electricity, cheap gas, cheap street food. Import / export not as problematic as D.R. Less corruption but still can pay your way round some time consuming stuff.

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
David is very very very HOT!!!!!!!!!

Think this is why a lot of ex-pats live up in Boquette which is 30kms (?) from David but up at a higher altitude and a lot cooler.
They seems to have a long rainy season in Panama - but in this El Nino year there was less - good clean, fresh air out there...

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
David is cool - seems that there are quite a lot of home invasions in Boquette these days but you make your own luck with that kind of thing.
Bit of a trek from Panama City where you would probably fly into but the road widening will be finished in 2016 apparently....

I just came back from 4 months in Panama - great place - you can drink the water, 24/7 electricity, internet easily as good as Europe.... a proper OECD country. I must say though that the most incredible place I went was Costa Rica - utterly amazing country.

Panama is like a grown-up version of DR where it all kind of works like advertised but still has the 'island life' vibe.... puts DR to shame...

$1.20 per gallon for diesel, cheap electricity, cheap gas, cheap street food. Import / export not as problematic as D.R. Less corruption but still can pay your way round some time consuming stuff.

Costa Rica is the only place that makes me happy. For some reason I sleep like a baby in Costa Rica. The cool night air is amazing.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
From what I have been told from a close friend with family in Honduras.

Honduras is a BIG NO !!!!!!!

She is from there, her brother has been kidnapped a few times, the family has a store there.
When they go to pick up supplies, they go in a caravan, FULLY armed.

Not a safe place to be.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I would check out Panama. I spent a month in the Santa Clara area. Similar climate to here but it seems to be a much more developed country. Whatever you decide good luck and get rid of your girlfriend. She is literally in bed with the thief.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

be very secretive about your plans. do not let your lady on to what you are about to do. now that her mobile ATM is about to leave the nest, she could get real ugly with you.

i hope you are not planning to take her with you.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I have lived in Panama 12 years and know the country inside and out and I can recommend it for living and doing business.
Boquette is for the retired people so if you wanna do biz I wouldn't recommend it.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
I have lived in Panama 12 years and know the country inside and out and I can recommend it for living and doing business.
Boquette is for the retired people so if you wanna do biz I wouldn't recommend it.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me

I can vouch for this - it was Frank who set me up with contacts for my Panamanian / Costa Rican odyssey this year and it all worked out great. Thanks, Frank!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.