RIU Mambo?

Becky

Jan 23, 2002
Well it looks like I will be booking the RIU Mambo for February. I am told it is next door to the RIU Merengue and that you can visit,eat drink etc at either site.

Can anyone tell me anything about the place? Any suggestions on what to do or what is a "can't miss" thing to do while in the DR?

Also anything to be carefull of like the water etc etc. It's my first time to the DR any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

DHiltz

Jan 10, 2002
Riu Mambo

Hi Becky

The wife and I, along with three other couples, went to the Riu Mambo last Feb and had a good time. The Mambo is right next door to the Merengue, with both hotels being about 10km west of Puerto Plata (most hotels in PP are to the east, in the Playa Dorada area) on their own stretch of beach.

The resort is made up of a number of two storey 16 room buildings...none are ocean front so it doesn't really matter which one you end up in. The rooms were nice but average sized, full bar and mini-fridge with soda, beer, water ,etc.

Beach is nice, a little rocky in some areas, lots of little palms for shade. Watersports are on a separate beach, a 15min walk but a nice view from the top of the cliff. Pool is nothing special, no swim-up bar.

Food was pretty good, but not great. My main complaint was the lack of a good theme a la carte restaurant, but I hear they have opened a new one for the Mambo/Merengue, so that issue may be resolved.

If you are adventureous, go on the Damajuana waterfall excursion...you climb the falls, then slide down them. It is physically demanding and a little scary, but definitely an experience to remember. Take a taxi to Sosua if you want to bargin with vendors, and decent snorkelling right off the beach.

You will have a good time at the Mambo, and for the price, it is especially good value, in my opinion.

Dave

Merengue-lover

Jan 28, 2002
Hi,

I was three times in the Riu Merengue and every time, I had the time of my live. Mambo or Merengue both hotels are almost the same. I would say to you go for it.

I can recommend you the Catamaran-trip and the Dominicana jeef safari.

You have also to try one of the local disco's.

Regards Merengue-lover