Inexpensive advertising in Santiago

FrankieA

Dec 1, 2015
What's the most inexpensive way to advertise women's accessories in Santiago? My wife wants to sell some purses and she wants to advertise but without spending too much. She has an online catalog. Her goal is to do something simple and take advantage of the Christmas season.

So these are the ideas that we had:
* attach printed ads in the different businesses she usually goes to (hair salons, manicure/pedicure stores, etc)
* places like Chito, square one and body shop use the small box with buttons that you press to call for a waiter. These small boxes usually have advertising space for a printed ad. Use them.

What else can we do to advertise? The goal is to not spend too much.

Thanks

FrankieA

Dec 1, 2015
I'll probably post an ad here at some point.

But I was hoping for suggestions along the lines of printed media, similar to what i posted.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Frankie, if you are bankrolling this endeavor only supply her with the amount of money you are comfortable parting with. The only way I have seen this work is start in her barrio and hope for word of mouth. She would really need something special and unique. Her name wouldn't be Raquel by the way??

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Waste of time spending money on DR1, we are not the target market.

If she is from a poorer barrio, then word of mouth, cheap flyers in the places she frequents, commission to those places that sell for her etc etc etc. 100's if not 1,000's of girls are selling accessories in Santiago.
Unless she has a special line or ridiculously cheap pricing, she will just be another person selling accessories and scratching out a few pesos every now and then.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Social media. Everyone is on Facebook these days. You can pay a little extra to get ads promoted through there to a specific public.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Waste of time spending money on DR1, we are not the target market.

If she is from a poorer barrio, then word of mouth, cheap flyers in the places she frequents, commission to those places that sell for her etc etc etc. 100's if not 1,000's of girls are selling accessories in Santiago.
Unless she has a special line or ridiculously cheap pricing, she will just be another person selling accessories and scratching out a few pesos every now and then.

What an honest owner. Impressive.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
What KateP already said above, social media. Facebook first.

My wife used to have a business selling clothing and accessories, and 95 % of her clients came via FB. Impressive results. Recently she sold a bunch of rarely to be found lip sticks (is that how you call them?). Sold 5+ daily without any investment.

From FB, the friends of her friends found them etc. She has little knowledge of paid advertising, and so do I, but there has never been any need for that. She knows how to shoot photos of the products and knows how to attend the prospective clients.

Other popular forum (so I have heard) is Instagram and Whatsapp for any communication.

In the same way, she once sold an old fridge of hours and a bunch of other stuff.

I would personally not put much emphasis on printed advertisement...

EDIT: And Robert is right, you can have a lucrative business if you find products that your target market wants, otherwise it?s difficult.

Last edited:

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I would guess that via colmados would be good. She would probably need to speak with the owners, as some are not very literate, offer some sort of shared commission, and plan on selling on credit or "layaway" as they call it.