Casher check

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
anyone brought one of these down and deposited lately, I would be using BHD.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
No, However the bank will hold the funds from paper drawn on a foreign bank
for 30 days while waiting for the check/cheque to negotiate the clearinghouse.
All paper is the same. Toilet paper is more useful in the short term.

In Canada they will hold the funds for 14 days.

I would guess that BHD is better equipped than another bank, however
I would guess that they will withhold funds for 30 days anyway.

B8

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When I deposit regular personal checks at BHD, they clear in about 10 days. I somehow doubt they'd understand the significance of a cashier's check, so it would probably take just as long before they released the funds to you.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not worried about the release date, they can hold for a month no problem, main question other than that is there a hassel. Just dont want to carry the cash, and don't want to pay wire fees as I can bring it with me this way. will be under 10k also.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not worried about the release date, they can hold for a month no problem, main question other than that is there a hassel. Just dont want to carry the cash, and don't want to pay wire fees as I can bring it with me this way. will be under 10k also.

As long as the check is made out EXACTLY the same as the name on your account, you won't have trouble.

For example, middle name or initial must match account if you use/have one.

We don't carry cash into DR any more, we just deposit checks from our US personal checking account into BHD monthly. We've never had the slightest problem.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If the amount of the monetary instrument is over $9,999.99 you are supposed to declare it both when you leave home and upon entry into the DR. One possible outcome of not doing so, is that it is seized either by at home or upon arrival here.

<let the games begin>

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If the amount of the monetary instrument is over $9,999.99 you are supposed to declare it both when you leave home and upon entry into the DR. One possible outcome of not doing so, is that it is seized either by at home or upon arrival here.

<let the games begin>

He said it will be under $10,000.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
We don't carry cash into DR any more, we just deposit checks from our US personal checking account into BHD monthly. We've never had the slightest problem.

<let the games begin>

Blank checks namely, unsigned checks that has payee omitted are NOT "negotiable monetary instruments" for currency reporting requirements.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
As long as the check is made out EXACTLY the same as the name on your account, you won't have trouble.

For example, middle name or initial must match account if you use/have one.

i go to the currency trader and give him my checkkkkkk////i always wondered what would happen if i bounced a check there...???

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

<let the games begin>

if i made a check out to myself for 15k and brought it with me on the plane...am i in trouble////?????:ermm::ermm::ermm:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
anyone brought one of these down and deposited lately, I would be using BHD.

why would you want a (cashiers) check ....this seems to be a foolish ploy...i dont get it...9500$out of your acct into a check /gone....in your wallet,,,you fly to d.r. get robbed /have a serious mishap ....wheres that money???/
it certainely isnt in your acct back home...not in any acct here......
certainely not an act that i will recco to anyone...