Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dengue....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sick today. Started last night actually. Sleep an hour wake up, fall back to sleep wake up an hour later. Head a little foggy, no fever, very weak and I have zero ability to concentrate on anything more complicated than putting one foot in front of the other.

A little bit of joint/muscle pain. Frequent urination. First time with an illness for me since arriving. Probably most resembles the flu.

I'm thankful it's not WW's trial and tribulation.

Post Thanks / Like

Get well soon......

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Gringo,
    you reported you were out & about Dec 1...... 9-10 days later you don't feel well.

If, if this is your first Dengue attack it will be mild.
    I hope it isn't Dengue.

They can't test for it until after several days.
    The fever may not come until day 2 - if at all w/ Dengue #1

Mine was a non-event.... just general malaise for a week or so

Fluids, Ensure...Powerade/Gatorade if you can't get Pedialyte.

No Advil

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

This is how I understand the Dengue issue -

The four strains are all similar in structure,
    Like 4 long sentences except the last few words are different.

1st attack, the body spots the problem and starts to fight fast..... minimizing the anguish

Subsequent attacks are different-
    The sentence starts, the body says 'we got this one already' and does little

When the final words of the sentence present themselves , the damage is done
    The fox is in the hen house

Anguish is much worse in the other 3.

This is why they say that a person is more susceptible to subsequent strains and that subsequent are more severe.

Layman's terms, but that's the gist of it.... as I read it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel better today. Still no significant fever. Head a little heavy, slight headache. Leg, arm and neck muscles not as sore. Definitely have more energy and concentration. Slept lots off and on yesterday during the day. Was in bed really early last night. Sleep, awake, sleep awake repeated.

Drinking lots of jugo, aqua, and had an envelope of re-hydration salts. Stomach growling but I don't feel much like eating. I still get tired easily and perspire quite a bit about the head when I exert myself. I don't feel bad enough or believe I am getting any worse so probably won't make a trip to the clinic just yet.

Definitely seems viral in nature and I have been told there is a "flu like" illness circulating. Going to try and force myself to eat some toast a bit later. Yesterday, I felt like 10 lbs of sh--t in a 5 lbs bag. Today, just like 5 lbs. We'll see how the day progresses
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 12-11-2015 at 07:58 AM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I struggled with my 1st one..... bed rest but we had visitors......

thought it was gripe or a type of a mild flu.....but you're not really incapacitated

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just getting over my first bout (a month) with Dengue. No fever to speak of, dizzy, fatigued, really bad pain in the muscles in my arms and joints.
    Hurt like hell the first 2 weeks and yesterday was the first day I started to feel a little normal again.
    I can only imagine what it's like the 2nd and 3rd time around.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Shorter Barry, is all I can say......

more intense but less duration.

I found supplementing with electrolytes and ENSURE helped significantly
    took me until my 3rd time to figure that out ...duh !!

Post Thanks / Like

Gatorade is loaded with sodium and glucose. Do you know of anything that has considerably less that is for sale here.
    Never drank Ensure, is it palatable.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Dissolve 6 teaspoons of white sugar + 1/2 teaspoon of salt into 1 liter of water.

Consume the mixture throughout the day. Eat a banana for potassium.

It is the sodium and the glucose that you are trying to replace if you are suffering from ongoing diarrhea or are not eating enough solid foods to keep some salt and sugars in your system.

Ensure is a ready to drink meal replacement with lots of vitamins and minerals added. The same can be found at most grocery stores in a powdered form, add to a glass of milk and consume. Usually comes in at around 250 calories per can/glass. If you can't keep food down, you might have the same problem with the meal replacements. Water/sugar/salt may be better tolerated until the tummy settles down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast