A site similar to craigslist for native Dominicans? (apartment search...)

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Hello all,

So I worked this past year teaching English through the MESCyT in the small city of Hato Mayor (60,000 population). Through the luck of another teacher in the program, I was able to find a homestay for 8,000 pesos per month. However, it won't be available to me next year despite me planning to continue teaching here next year. I was wondering if there are any sites that native Dominicans use to search for or rent properties in non-touristy (bumbleF*#k) smaller towns to other Dominicans? It seems like internet posting is beyond the sophistication/technological means of the average lower or middle class Dominican only able to pay 3,000-8,000 per month, and that everything is done by word of mouth, but I figured I'd take a stab in the dark just in case...

Thanks.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
It seems that there are hundreds if not thousands of illiterate dominicanas looking for a man to support her on the Internet, so it would seem like there should be what you are looking for.

Hahahahaha very true!

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
They do have a Dominican Craigslist: http://santodomingo.craigslist.org/

I think most rentals of that type are word of mouth/walking or driving around looking for signs. Stop and ask at a colmado in the area where you're looking

Yeah, only for the touristy areas though and the capital (as witnessed by all postings being in English). Pretty much confirmed what I figured was inevitable. I've been asking around but with little luck.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It seems that there are hundreds if not thousands of illiterate dominicanas looking for a man to support her on the Internet, so it would seem like there should be what you are looking for.

It seems you didn't actually read post #1.

Sep 4, 2012
Find a "buscon" for your area, Hato Mayor is a **** hole thus the service which goes along, nothing personal or againts you or what you do --- its just the city, frankly a hell hole in the East.

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Find a "buscon" for your area, Hato Mayor is a **** hole thus the service which goes along, nothing personal or againts you or what you do --- its just the city, frankly a hell hole in the East.

Wyw, what is a "buscon"? Never heard of this term. Nor any offense taken about Hato Mayor; it is indeed far from ideal in many respects and hence where quality teachers are most needed...

Sep 4, 2012
"Buscon o Corredor" is the lowest scale of real estate management (if you would want to label it as such) possible in the DR. These individuals work with tenants and landlords to faciliate the search and rent of places. Ask any of your co-workers (Dominicans), they would know the term and might get you in contact with one.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
family references....talk on the ground search of course these are mostly room rentals

SrSuerte

May 31, 2009
Wishing you well;1646929[[B said:
B]]"Buscon o Corredor[/B]" [/B]is the lowest scale of real estate management (if you would want to label it as such) possible in the DR. These individuals work with tenants and landlords to faciliate the search and rent of places. Ask any of your co-workers (Dominicans), they would know the term and might get you in contact with one.

Sahil Martinez does list apartments on facebook.
I don't know anyone on the south and east side of the island.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

make that hundreds of thousands.