Where to find Roundup.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Can anyone tell me where to find ROUNDUP in Sosua or if not there in Cabarete area. Thanks

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The last time I was there it was sold at the vivero in LaUnion near the airport.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
all sorts of good weed killers available..... 'productos'...

The local agrovet has them ... any jardinero will point you straight

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Cheaper to hire a Haitian to pull the weeds.

Roundup is a nonselective weed killer, so, haitian cant do the work. its use is mostly for replace an old grass for a new one or pre-emergent. its ingredient glyphosate will kill everything.
If you need just to control some specific weeds, then you need a selective weed control herbicide that contain 2-4D as Weedmaster or similar. if Coquillo is your problema, them, you need Sempras 75 or Junco.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Last time I purchased roundup/glyphosate in Ochoa. Then also saw it at Veterinaria Dr. De la Cruz in Sosua - carretera Sosua-Cabarete. White bottles 1 Quart 41% concentrate - around 800 Pesos.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Purchased this product in Santiago but it should be sold everywhere in the DR.
Have used Roundup 1 gal. Super Concentrate Weed and Grass Killer (over $100. U.S. in the States) and this product is far superior.

Dark green 1 Liter plastic container/white label with a red top, 400 pesos more or less........
This is a concentrate, goes a long way, kills ALL vegetation and quickly.....

HERBAMAX 20SL
HERBICIDA BIPIRIDILO
PARAQUAT

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Last time I purchased roundup/glyphosate in Ochoa. Then also saw it at Veterinaria Dr. De la Cruz in Sosua - carretera Sosua-Cabarete. White bottles 1 Quart 41% concentrate - around 800 Pesos.

I use CLISATE 35.6SI, Herbcida-Fosfonico Glifosato(glyphosate) from the agricultural/feed store.
Costs I believe around $200 pesos, comes in a liter bottle sealed in plastic, white plastic bottle with a red top.

Contains: N-Fosfonometil-glicina 35.60 %P/V

CAUTION: No tiene antidoto (Does not have an antidote).

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Purchased this product in Santiago but it should be sold everywhere in the DR.
Have used Roundup 1 gal. Super Concentrate Weed and Grass Killer (over $100. U.S. in the States) and this product is far superior.

Dark green 1 Liter plastic container/white label with a red top, 400 pesos more or less........
This is a concentrate, goes a long way, kills ALL vegetation and quickly.....

HERBAMAX 20SL
HERBICIDA BIPIRIDILO
PARAQUAT

BE CAREFUL PARAQUAT WILL ALSO KILL HUMANS VERY QUICKLY!! When you could get it in the US it was Labeled with DANGER and SKULL and CROSS BONES. I bought Granular Roundup with Diquat and shipped it down. Came in little packets and each packet makes 1.5 gallon. But like most say you can get Glyphospate at most Agro Vets.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One consideration to keep in mind is that Roundup (Glyphospate) is absorbed into the plant via the leaves and not the roots. Roundup does not linger in the soil and therefore does not build up in the environment to later contaminate ground water or the soil itself. Roundup will kill everything that gets sprayed.

Other herbicides cannot make the same claims and do linger and may contaminate the soil and potentially ground water sources. I'm not saying that the discriminant use of a different defoliant to kill off some weeds/grass would pose a significant problem. However, if you are killing off an entire plot or a significant portion of a yard, it might. Also, if you have pets and/or children, playing in areas sprayed with less selective herbicides may not be desirable. Dogs eat grass. Dogs should not eat grass sprayed with lingering toxins.

So if roundup is available to you and you want to spray, that product may be a better choice to use than a cheaper equally effective product with much different toxicological properties.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Thank you everone.
Veterinaria Dr. De la Cruz in Sosua -No longer carries this BUT they told me to travel up the EL Choco Road approx 1 + miles and on the left is an AgroVeternaria supply. They have the Monsanto Roundup One Liter size plastic bottle for RD$200.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
und up in powder is the probably the most effective of all the Glyphosate. It is relatively safe to use. You can also use Rayo which is the same thing. 2-4-D is another Herbiside that only attacks wide leafs and is good for cleaning weeds in grass. Gramazon and Paraquat are the most dangerous especially when you are mixing. They are like gasoline and burn the leaves on contact. Paraquat is banned in most countries and I personally never use it.
If you are in Santo Domingo La Rinconada sells Roundup which is on the road behind Ikea

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
BE CAREFUL PARAQUAT WILL ALSO KILL HUMANS VERY QUICKLY!! When you could get it in the US it was Labeled with DANGER and SKULL and CROSS BONES. I bought Granular Roundup with Diquat and shipped it down. Came in little packets and each packet makes 1.5 gallon. But like most say you can get Glyphospate at most Agro Vets.

I had no idea this product ( PARAQUAT) was that dangerous, the salesman at Ochoa highly recommended it.............
Live and learn, anything like this should be researched before purchase, If I had, I would not have purchased.

In the United States, Paraquat is classified as "restricted commercial use," and people must obtain a license to use the product.
Breathing in Paraquat may cause lung damage and can lead to a disease called Paraquat lung. Paraquat causes damage to the body when it touches the lining of the mouth, stomach, or intestines. You can get sick if Paraquat touches a cut on your skin. Paraquat may also damage the kidneys, liver, and esophagus.
If Paraquat is swallowed, death can rapidly occur. Death may occur from a hole in the esophagus, or from acute inflammation of the mediastinum, the area that surrounds the major blood vessels and airways in the middle of the chest.
Chronic exposure to Paraquat may cause pulmonary fibrosis, a stiffening of the lung tissue.

Symptoms

Burns in throat
Coma
Difficulty breathing
Nosebleed
Seizures
Shock
Shortness of breath
Sore throat
Stomach pain
Vomiting, including vomiting blood

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The DR is the wild west as many have mentioned before. You have to be really careful when purchasing chemicals. May locals have no clue how to safely use some of these pesticides/herbicides. Many have never seen protective equipment or clothing and some probably can't read the warning labels. Many product users don't bother to read the warnings and are just looking for the mixing instructions. Sure, the sales claims of effectiveness may be accurate, but at what risk/cost?

At home, we tend to over regulate "out of an abundance of caution". In this country, if it kills things, it is sold by the pound and displayed right next to the medicines.

I would not be surprised to find an old bottle of DDT on a shelf here somewhere. :)

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The DR is the wild west as many have mentioned before. You have to be really careful when purchasing chemicals. May locals have no clue how to safely use some of these pesticides/herbicides. Many have never seen protective equipment or clothing and some probably can't read the warning labels. Many product users don't bother to read the warnings and are just looking for the mixing instructions. Sure, the sales claims of effectiveness may be accurate, but at what risk/cost?

At home, we tend to over regulate "out of an abundance of caution". In this country, if it kills things, it is sold by the pound and displayed right next to the medicines.

I would not be surprised to find an old bottle of DDT on a shelf here somewhere. :)

http://www.chem.unep.ch/ddt/DDTProfiles/Dominican Republic.html

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
James,

Were you successful at the agro place on El Choco? I need some and before I head there I figured I'd ask if they had it in stock.

Thx.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Cdn_Gringo, yes I obtained it there and it was RD$250. a litre bottle. They had more.