Dominican Cardinal Calls Gay US Official (Wally Brewster) a 'Wife' in Spat

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dominican Cardinal Calls Gay US Official a 'Wife' in Spat

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS DEC. 2, 2015, 2:07 P.M. E.S.T.
Continue reading the main story Share This Page

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — A Dominican cardinal upset over comments that the U.S. ambassador made about corruption in his country has said the openly gay diplomat should focus on homemaking.

Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez spoke out against U.S. ambassador James "Wally" Brewster in a meeting with reporters late Tuesday following a Mass.

"That man needs to go back to his embassy," he said. "Let him focus on housework, since he's the wife to a man."

Lopez also accused Brewster of promoting a gay rights agenda on Dominican soil.

The U.S. Embassy declined comment, but said Brewster would appear on a local TV news program on Thursday. Brewster became the seventh U.S. ambassador in history to be openly gay when appointed two years ago.

Lopez's comments come about a week after Brewster criticized corruption in the Dominican Republic and accused police officers of threatening and assaulting several U.S. investors who were attending conference organized by the local government.

"Imagine the horror I felt when I got a call from one of them, telling me they had been stopped by a uniformed police officer, that they had a weapon pointed at them and that they were forced to turn over their wallets," Brewster said last week.

Lopez also criticized Brewster for saying that those who feel the U.S. embassy is too involved in Dominican affairs should return their U.S. visa. He said he would be honored and satisfied to do so.

"I couldn't care less," Lopez said. "I'm not interested in traveling."

Jul 28, 2014
I always find it funny the hypocrisy of the church, now I realize one person does not represent all, but as a leader/person to set the example, it seems funny how they pick and choose what mantra to follow/deliver.

I do understand generally how they do not condone homosexuality, but isn't what they should REALLY be preaching be, Love thy brother and neighbour, strive to be a better person, tolerance, live and let live, and a whole bunch of other things they cannot do themselves...

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
He's known for these types of comments. For instance, he once said that women get raped because of the way we dress.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
He is just jealous he has to get HJ's from conde shoe shine boys in the closet, and can't come out.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
He should be supporting anyone in authority who speaks out against the evil of corruption, instead using it as an excuse to spout his own intolerant agenda. Hypocrisy when set against the real bad goings on in his own church.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"He who lives in a glass house should not cast the first stone" :D

He has been relatively quiet lately, probably sulking because he resents the dramatic contrast between him and the tolerance and compassion of the current pope.

Maybe he even had the grace to keep a low profile in the wake of the Weslowoski and Gil scandals.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
pederasty and conspiracy to obstruct justice are very serious crimes. neither of which refer to this OP. misogyny is perfectly legal in the DR and the US. it is also an endless source of entertainment here on DR1.

This man is pathological. he is overwhelmed by the mental slavery of the madonna/whore complex. he has never had a healthy expression of sexuality in his life. ever. I get a little bit of Roy Cohn from him, if you know what I mean. so sure of himself.

and miss wally brewster is too cute by half with her crack about the visas. I'll bet the boss wasn't too pleased with that remark.

has anyone here on DR1 been to an event at the embassy? or a party? he doesn't say much. and guy wearing a dress doesn't shut up.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
He's known for these types of comments. For instance, he once said that women get raped because of the way we dress.

yes he is. It shows what he really thinks of women. he really believes it is better for a woman to be at home and the man to go out and work. this, from a schmuck who has never been responsible for any mouth other than his own. he should fill it with some humble pie. as should i.

a woman is gonna get smacked today in DR and she knows this cardinal isn't going to lift a finger to help.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I quite liked what Wally said until he made the stupid comment that people should return their USA visas if they did not agree with him . I did not like a word of what the Cardinal said and I really think it is time that he retired . Prejudices against gays , blacks, women and infirmed people have no place in any church where the two basic commandments are Love thy God and Love thy neighbour

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Lets send a gay man to be the ambassador to the only (predominantly Catholic) country
in the world with a picture of the bible on their national flag. Very insulting.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This US Ambassador is nothing but a complete asshole. He butts into all kinds of things that do not concern him. Let him do his job and not try to change the Country. He needs to go to Siberia.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
idk, but i just cant get upset about this one. the prince knows the ambassador's term is about one year left. the prince isn't going anywhere. he knows where all the skeletons are buried. roy cohn and frank sinatra wouldn't mess with this mofo. googling him today I learned he holds a special designate as primate because SD was the first diocese. apparently, within the church he punches above his weight.

these two should just kiss and make up.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Lets send a gay man to be the ambassador to the only (predominantly Catholic) country
in the world with a picture of the bible on their national flag. Very insulting.

so, cristorey, is wally really the first? the only? sure the first with a legal spouse but never a swede, nor brit? (as if anyone could tell.) ever? no confirmed bachelor friends hanging around with porfirio ruberosa? hmmm. hmmm.

haha haha haha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the cardinal is a piece of manure but i am tired of this political correctness obsession. he is entitled to express his opinions.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
the cardinal is a piece of manure but i am tired of this political correctness obsession. he is entitled to express his opinions.

You can add Brewster to the list of Manure also.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
This US Ambassador is nothing but a complete asshole. He butts into all kinds of things that do not concern him. Let him do his job and not try to change the Country. He needs to go to Siberia.

I think he should be sent to Saudi Arabia, or Egypt or The UAE.....maybe Iraq or Iran....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
so, cristorey, is wally really the first? the only? sure the first with a legal spouse but never a swede, nor brit? (as if anyone could tell.) ever? no confirmed bachelor friends hanging around with porfirio ruberosa? hmmm. hmmm.

haha haha haha

I think CristoRey's point is not that he was or wasn't the first. He was the first openly gay ambassador sent from the states and I agree it was disrespectful. Why didn't Obama send him to Saudi Arabia? Why not insult our "so called" friends?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The cardinal said what most Dominicans think of that situation. That's why his popularity remains unscathed or has risen.

The US Ambassor should had never said that anyone that criticizes what he said in the dinner should give up their US visas. After that the cardinal responded saying that he doesn't care for the US visa and that the Ambassador, as the wife of his husband, ahould go to the embassy and take care of the chores.

Point is that anyone that gives unsolicited advice will be criticized for that. Tell someone how to rear their children without they asking you for advice to see how well that will go.