Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question About Online Purchase & Aduanas

I am looking to buy a cellphone that will have a total invoice of exactly $199 shipped through to EPS in Miami.

The online retailer is also including a gift of a cellphone battery charger-which will show a zero value on the invoice as a gift.

Will my package make it through Aduanas without any problem even with the gift-so long as the total on the invoice is $199?

Thanks.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    I am looking to buy a cellphone that will have a total invoice of exactly $199 shipped through to EPS in Miami.

The online retailer is also including a gift of a cellphone battery charger-which will show a zero value on the invoice as a gift.

Will my package make it through Aduanas without any problem even with the gift-so long as the total on the invoice is $199?

Thanks.
    Yes, it should, but they might ask for a copy of the payment of US$ 199 when they are in doubt about the value.
    And even then they might just try to screw you (they are the experts) by telling you the cell-phone you bought is worth much more than US$ 199.....
    Living here is an adventure...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    Yes, it should, but they might ask for a copy of the payment of US$ 199 when they are in doubt about the value.
    And even then they might just try to screw you (they are the experts) by telling you the cell-phone you bought is worth much more than US$ 199.....
    Living here is an adventure...
    I've already brought in two of these phones with invoices at exactly $199-so that is not a problem. The phone has a retail at $199-although the last one I brought in was a retail at $249 with $50 discount and it still sailed through Aduanas. My concern now is that they may try to claim that the gift at zero value can not pass through aduanas without some retail value and then the entire package would be over $200 resulting in a 21% tax on its entire value.

4. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

EPS seems to have a hook there. Things fly right through. Even things with no receipt. If it says 199 you are good.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    EPS seems to have a hook there. Things fly right through. Even things with no receipt. If it says 199 you are good.
    Indeed-I've had only good luck with EPS-As long as the invoice is $199.99 or lower-never a problem-but don't go $200.00 or higher.

7. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Would not be a problem with Encargopaq. I was also told that shipping by air has much less scrutiny than shipping by sea.

What the means is that sometimes even items that would be taxed if brought in by sea, they might not be taxed if brought in by air.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Would not be a problem with Encargopaq. I was also told that shipping by air has much less scrutiny than shipping by sea.

What the means is that sometimes even items that would be taxed if brought in by sea, they might not be taxed if brought in by air.
    Well I looked at the preliminary invoice and it states $218.99 Subtotal and -$19.99 "Discount for Gift 1" and then Grand Total: $199.00.

Somehow I imagine this is going to be a problem going though Aduanas-Once they see anything on the invoice above exactly $200.00-the problems begin en mass.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

you might get the 'Christmas Special'..... no charges

Still, $199 is your total..... should work
    Nothing is certain, however.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    you might get the 'Christmas Special'..... no charges

Still, $199 is your total..... should work
    Nothing is certain, however.
    'Christmas Special" is only for Dominicans who haven't been in DR for 6 months, need to show passport as proof.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we have heard stories here about leniency at Christmas...... as I recall, but my recall.........????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast