How much is a roasted pig going for in Sto Dgo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Greetings,

Does any know how much is a roasted pig costing this year, everything included including the pig? I just want to pick up the phone order it and pick it on the 24th. I was quoted USD$300. Is this right?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Price varies greatly by something called "weight". So that would need to be known.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mmh, couldnt say, but even for SD 300$ is expensive..... unless its a 300lb pig :)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Sounds pricey unless it is some massive sow.

Last pig I bought already roasted cost $90 at Algarrobo which is next to the San Fransico de Macoris turn on Autopista Duarte as attached google map This was about 5 years ago though.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0!6m1!1e1

There are a large number of vendors of roast pig at this location which is south of El Pino and La Vega and at holiday time they have lots of pig being roasted away from the road to order.

Long way off but worth mentioning.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Greetings,

Does any know how much is a roasted pig costing this year, everything included including the pig? I just want to pick up the phone order it and pick it on the 24th. I was quoted USD$300. Is this right?

I do not have the exact price, but that is the "Gringo" price for sure, I am thinking RD5,000 Pesos is about the cost of an average roast suckling, the fact that you are being quoted in USD is a pink flag.

Ask Whirlybird, she used to farm them, cook, 'em and sell them, OINK OINK!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Greetings,

What do you mean by "everything included, even including the pig"? Are you getting a whole dinner provided?

I do not have the exact price, but that is the "Gringo" price for sure, I am thinking RD5,000 Pesos is about the cost of an average roast suckling, the fact that you are being quoted in USD is a pink flag.

Ask Whirlybird, she used to farm them, cook, 'em and sell them, OINK OINK!

Everything is more expensive in SD, it's like comparing an apartment in Manhattan with one in Queens.

There are spots all over SD where vendors are literally lined up with whole piggies, you pull up, have them cut what you want [if not the whole pig], it's weighed and you pay by the pound. If memory serves me correctly, there were a bunch of them at the corner of Anacoanda and Luperon. It wasn't cheap, again the memory might be wrong, but I think it was 200 pesos a pound.

PS Edit: These people are there Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, not every day!! I wasn't clear, sorry

Last edited:

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Thank you all for the quick response It is a large pig that I'm looking for. If I'm reading correctly, quotes in UD$, are gringo prices. FYI - My mom does a luncheon for the poor kids in the campo, around 100 kids/20 adults, and I just wanted to get an idea of what is going to cost the pig this year. My sisters provide the gifts, my mom provides the food except the pig, I do the pig.

Merry Christmas, happy kwanza, etc. etc.

PS - welcome back ccccccc.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as I recall, last year, my pig was 4,000 pesos for the prepping and roasting.... in Cabrera, by my neighbor.
I had a Dominican negotiate that price.

The pig was extra.... I forget the price per pound, sorry
That price will vary year to year and goes up around the 15th of Dec...... buy early

I bought early and fed it my kitchen scraps for 3 weeks....
New Year's day roast...........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the price is not only per weight. a smaller, juicer piggy will cost more per pound than a bigger one.

my advice is to buy two smaller piggies. nicer meal, more crispy skin dominicans love so much (me too!) and better deal in general. each piggy should be about 100-125 dollars each.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i cant talk about stdgo prices.
here in bavaro(not talking a out our neighbour prices on the Finca) you get at Omat in Veron, a whole pig for 80-90,- pesos ?er libra, thats 1,- greenbuck per pound of pig.
you want a 100,-lbs pig,thats 100,- bucks.
add 50-60 dollars for the place who roasts it including the seasonings etc they use,
thats around $150,- for a 100lbs pig ready to pick it up and eat.
and thats in Bavaro

Enviado desde mi SM-G800M mediante Tapatalk

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
In Sto Dgo you can expect to pay 125 to 150 pesos per pound. My father paid 10,000 pesos for a whole roasted pig last year. Which is a little over 220 dollars.

Last edited:

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
By the looks of it, by way of MikeFisher and windeguy calls, USD$300 for a 100lbs pig is not too bad (100lbs X RD$85 (USD$2) X RD$65 (RD$1.5)). RD$85/lb for the pig PLUS RD$65/lb for seasoning = RD$15,000 / RD$45 (exchange rates) = USD$333. I'm in LI, NY and they are in Sto Dgo so I'm sure that have something to do with the cost as well. Thx again buds. Wish I was there with a real lemonade in my hands noise dust, not lust felllows, and sweat dripping down my forehead. Peace

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
the price is not only per weight. a smaller, juicer piggy will cost more per pound than a bigger one.

my advice is to buy two smaller piggies. nicer meal, more crispy skin dominicans love so much (me too!) and better deal in general. each piggy should be about 100-125 dollars each.

Agreed.The crispy skin is the best part of lechon asado.;)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

40/50lb piggy////sounds like a good dealio

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Happy to report that the final price for a ~45lbs roasted pig (pig, season and roasting included) in Sto Dgo (manoguayabo - Av los basebolitas) came out to RD$7,000. Not bad. Thank all again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup, good price.... they're all good at it and prices seem competitive from your research.

$2/lb = pig=$100 and then the cooking.....$50-60....

have a good meal!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Happy to report that the final price for a ~45lbs roasted pig (pig, season and roasting included) in Sto Dgo (manoguayabo - Av los basebolitas) came out to RD$7,000. Not bad. Thank all again.

I'm sure they'll enjoy it! Looking forward to some myself :)

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.