Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will this settle the "there isn't a color issue" here?

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Do you guys think this movie will give an accurate portrait of his life. I'm sure some creative license will take place. I hope it starts discussions about how to fix race issue and political issues in this country.

Can some of the DR1 members that lived through that time give their opinions of why he didn't win?

Talking to just a few people, he seemed to be the favorite and most of them said he didn't win because of his color and heritage. The powers that be did whatever it took to make sure he lost.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You already have your answer.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I'm and outsider who have disused this with a handful of people. Not enough to for an answer.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    No, I'm and outsider who have disused this with a handful of people. Not enough to for an answer.
    The handful have provided the correct answer as you described it already.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

His Haitian father may have contributed to his inability to win, ya' think?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    His Haitian father may have contributed to his inability to win, ya' think?
    Could be but wasn't Trujillo's mother part Haitian?

7. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You are correct, Altagracia Julia Molina Chevalier was a mix, including Haitan blood.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Peña Gómez seemed to have been judged more for his appearance than for his beliefs and abilities, in some ways like Obama. Racial atidudes are different in the DR than in the US, but they do exist.
    Of course, it is also true that there are other factors as well. James Madison was a 5'2" pipsqueak that could never be elected president today. Nor could FDR because his paralysis would not be as easily concealed.

10. Likes 4*4*4, miguel james liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    Talking to just a few people, he seemed to be the favorite and most of them said he didn't win because of his color and heritage. The powers that be did whatever it took to make sure he lost.
    Your last sentence nails it. Color was just a convenient weapon to use against him. Had he been white they would have used some other excuse like "He was actually born in Kenya", and if that still did not work they would have sent in the army (and maybe US Marines) again like in 1964.

No telling what would have happened had he been elected. My guess is any attempts at democratization would have been undermined by the power-brokers. Or, to survive and get things done, he might have totally compromized his original ideals. We see that pattern all over Latin America and Africa with populist leaders. The word "populist" is the key. They have no deep class-rooted ideology so blow with the prevailing winds.

His party has moved from being center-left in his day to right-wing beggars for crumbs thrown by the PLD (itself a party that has largely betrayed the ideals of its founder, Juan Bosch).

If you want to see how an election gets stolen, just look at Haiti at present. Many of the same ploys of the 1964 DR election are being used there.

One interesting difference in the DR should be mentioned. Those who are crushed by the establishment and branded "enemigos de la patria" are later honored by the same establishment, once a safe length of time has passed. So Peña Gómez has his airport and Caamaño Deñó has his statue and streets. (I do not think there are any street or airports named after Trotsky in Russia). And of course they mostly come from establishment families or intermarry with them, so the "unpleasantness" can largely be kept within the family, like in the Mafia.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny while writing this I'm listening to the sounds of music and car horns at the kick off of the Political season. PLD in full swing. I don't have a dog in the fight but it's still interesting to observe.

13. Likes 4*4*4 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast