A night at Barcelo AI, Punta Cana.

May 29, 2006
The GF wanted to spend two nights at an AI, and after telling me it would be $100 for two nights, I said sure, why not. So Friday, we take the guagua to PC only to find out that the reservations weren't processed by the AI...

So being Friday in high season, we can either go back to Hig?ey, or take a room at Barcelo Premium.. RD$8000 for one night..what the hell, we'll go for it.. So after waiting another hour at the Barcelo gate, the new reservation gets processed and we check in around 2PM and hit the buffet for the last hour. My GF.. a Dominican from the barrio's first time at an all you can eat buffet.. More on that soon.. This will take several postings..

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The GF wanted to spend two nights at an AI, and after telling me it would be $100 for two nights, I said sure, why not. So Friday, we take the guagua to PC only to find out that the reservations weren't processed by the AI...

So being Friday in high season, we can either go back to Hig?ey, or take a room at Barcelo Premium.. RD$8000 for one night..what the hell, we'll go for it.. So after waiting another hour at the Barcelo gate, the new reservation gets processed and we check in around 2PM and hit the buffet for the last hour. My GF.. a Dominican from the barrio's first time at an all you can eat buffet.. More on that soon.. This will take several postings..

Did she ask for Salami? ;)

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Portions or postings?????

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Like a kid in a candy store...........

May 29, 2006
always take a copy of your reservations.

You would expect that to help, but our room was occupied..You can't discuss right and wrong with the guys at the gate, and they won't let you get to the front desk. No name on the list and you are a non person.

Feb 7, 2007
That's why you don't do LOCAL reservations or reserve directly. Do it via a travel agent or better yet via a foreign tour operator. Worst case scenario, book on Expedia or Travelocity. Somehow I have a feeling those reservations do not get lost so easily ....
Only a newbie would actually book AI directly with the resort ... and you are not one, so it's beyond me why you did.
Also it's a bit unclear what exactly happened. Because you say the reservation was not processed but then you say there were people I your room. Your reservation was not processed because you most likely booked over the phone or via dubious source. Reservations booked on Barcelo.com get confirmation number within 24 hours on the website. Also it's best to always call up and speak to reservations to reconfirm your reservation and get their internal booking number. Also you do not get rooms until check in so I cannot understand how can there be people in your room if you do not have a room yet. It's possible the hotel overbooked but that does not seem to be the case because you did get the room after all.

So what most likely happened is that either the person handling the reservation didn't do it, or your reservation was not processed for some reason, maybe your Payment was declined etc. It was your error though that you did not follow the matter through before arriving to the hotel. Even when I make booking.com reservation I always call in advance to make sure my reservation is there and get the internal booking number. There are many occasions when he internal booking number helped save the day, for example the reservation did not appear in check in software but it existed and looking it up with internal reservation number brought the reservation yo the screen. Even a reservation in a small Colombian city I called 10 days before arrival to reconfirm with the property as it was local long weekend. Live and learn.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
RD8K for two people for a night is $87.91PP, cheaper than advertised on their site, what are you complaining about, other than you had no reservations?

The advertised rate for double occupancy is $385/night.

What happened she lined her pockets with ziplocks and filled up with a few lbs of camarones?

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I'm already laughing. Reminds me of this video.
Dominicanos en un resort
[video=youtube_share;JwBMdkfLg10]https://youtu.be/JwBMdkfLg10[/video]

Jan 9, 2004
That's why you don't do LOCAL reservations or reserve directly. Do it via a travel agent or better yet via a foreign tour operator. Worst case scenario, book on Expedia or Travelocity. Somehow I have a feeling those reservations do not get lost so easily ....

I agree with you....except for one exception...Barcelo.

The Barcelo hotel website has yielded a better price utilizing their offers/promotions than booking through the Expedia/Orbitz/Travelocity/CheapCaribbean type websites.

While I have only done it twice....and it hardly qualifies as an etched in stone rule....using the Barcelo hotel website has yielded better pricing and options (upgrades).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Good Luck!
Somehow whenever I go to any of Barcelo AI, I have worst AI experiences.
I hope yours is different.

Feb 7, 2007
I agree with you....except for one exception...Barcelo.

The Barcelo hotel website has yielded a better price utilizing their offers/promotions than booking through the Expedia/Orbitz/Travelocity/CheapCaribbean type websites.

I agree. Barcelo E-commerce competes heavily with the very tour operators (who don't like it at all).
But you get an internal confirmation number on Barcelo reservation made through the website and that reservation can be looked up by Barcelo E-commerce (which would not consider losing a reservation by the resort as something acceptable).

I still would like to know how the OP made the initial reservation, the key to the trouble is there.

Jan 9, 2004
Good Luck!
Somehow whenever I go to any of Barcelo AI, I have worst AI experiences.
I hope yours is different.

I view Barcelo as more of a hotel with perks.....not an AI.....even though it is.

My experience has mostly been with company functions (short 1-2 day stays)....although I have stayed twice for a week at a time.

Knowing what I know, I have very low expectations for the hotel....and they do not disappoint. Puerto Plata is the absolute worst of any Barcelo in the DR....keep your expectations low if you go there....and remember....the good time revolves around the individual....not the facility.

As I believe you are in Santiago, the best mainstream AI on the northcoast IMO is the Iberostar.

In Bavaro, the best mainstream AI IMO is the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I view Barcelo as more of a hotel with perks.....not an AI.....even though it is.

My experience has mostly been with company functions (short 1-2 day stays)....although I have stayed twice for a week at a time.

Knowing what I know, I have very low expectations for the hotel....and they do not disappoint. Puerto Plata is the absolute worst of any Barcelo in the DR....keep your expectations low if you go there....and remember....the good time revolves around the individual....not the facility.

As I believe you are in Santiago, the best mainstream AI on the northcoast IMO is the Iberostar.

In Bavaro, the best mainstream AI IMO is the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I agree with you on Iberostar in PP. Iberostar is clearly one of the best in PP, but now with help of cruise coming to Maimon. The AI included in cruise excursion list is changing to be better, so I would definitely add them to the list of the AI to go in PP.

The thing about Barcelo is the places are too room concentrated without any breathing room on many of their offerings. "Can I sit comfortably for several minutes without workers and visitors looking at us to leave?" is the feeling I get from two of the Barcelos. I feel they want too be next door neighbor when clearly they don't have personnel or spaces for it.

I might do a trip to east with my wife possibly Barcelo for golf sometime next year and lets see how they compares to others.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree with you on Iberostar in PP. Iberostar is clearly one of the best in PP, but now with help of cruise coming to Maimon. The AI included in cruise excursion list is changing to be better, so I would definitely add them to the list of the AI to go in PP.

The thing about Barcelo is the places are too room concentrated without any breathing room on many of their offerings. "Can I sit comfortably for several minutes without workers and visitors looking at us to leave?" is the feeling I get from two of the Barcelos. I feel they want too be next door neighbor when clearly they don't have personnel or spaces for it.

I might do a trip to east with my wife possibly Barcelo for golf sometime next year and lets see how they compares to others.

i do not see the connection between cruise ships and AI hotels.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
i do not see the connection between cruise ships and AI hotels.

I had noticed big renovations had gone though on some of AI's. This might be the coincidence but Riu clearly took a baby step up on their rooms, food, drink and less day pass locals. Before I was like "meh" on Riu but last visit has changed to "ok". Next time if I decide to go up north, I am going to try to stay others that are listed on the excursions.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Been to Barcel? Punta Cana Premium. While not the best offering it is not the worst either. Many locals come on the weekend. The beach at the resort is very nice while the resort itself is a bit "outdated". A few of the buildings were renovated but still seemed "outdated". Not a huge resort so easy to get around. Pricewise for a short vacation to Punta Cana it is ok.