2 prominent reporters from SIN group fired!

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
Marino Zapete and Edith Febles 2 prominent reporters on channel 9 colorvision were fired recently. Their morning show El Despertador in which they appeared for nearly 7 years, was mainly an oposing voice to the actual government. The Duo were not specific as to why they were being let go, since the program has a large following, especially outside of D.R. where things can be seen outside of the Matrix. The only thing the reported said was: The powers that be, beat us. This statement has left many wondering If station and group president were pressured to shut the reporters down, due to the nature of their reporting which was always opposite to the government. If this is true, then it is a sad day for Dominican reporting since it seems that most news outlets simply go along with what the government wants them to report. These 2 reporters were very honest with their reporting and always backed up their reporting with proof and facts.

Would love to hear your opinions on the story. I guess with elections just around the corner, the government can't have these reporters poking holes in The President's agenda.:chinese:
Here is the story link
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...g-of-prominent-journalists-draws-quick-rebuke

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Bad guess. They can have the right to express their opinion ,but when they have not the slightest idea of courtesy and decent manners,listeners will turn off.The station had many complaints. Free speech comes with responsibility .

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
In some opionions they also looks like was not impartials in their comments, a lot people stoped watching their program, so the ratins wasnt like years before. My mother stoped watching them and I know much more people that did the same.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
nothing newsworthy or unexpected here. just another day in the life of a country which is yet to flirt with the concept of democracy.

Feb 7, 2007
but when they have not the slightest idea of courtesy and decent manners,listeners will turn off.

I don't think so! Just listen to Consuelo Despradel ... no manners, no courtesy, language borderline offensive ... yet people listen and actually like her. I cannot even count how many times she said the "k" word on the air.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la zeta generally is very human, so to speak. they swear, joke, mock the callers. i love 'em. and poor consuelo does not even have the voice for the radio, she sounds like vulture running its talons on a blackboard.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I will miss the program. Over the years it had become part of my morning ritual.

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
From my understanding they had many loyal followers, and most of the complaints were from folks who they were outing in their wrong doings, which is very common if you do not wish to have the light shined upon you. They always backed up their reporting with facts......so in my opinion they did what good reporters do. Report on what they discover. The owner's wife is also a reporter with a show called El Informe that pretty much does the same thing, which is uncover acts of corruption and misapropiations.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From today's DR1 News:
El Despertador and El Equipo shutdown
Two popular talk shows will no longer be. Both El Despertador morning show and El Equipo afternoon show are being discontinued.
Grupo SIN has announced the shutdown of the El Despertador TV morning talk show on Color Vision Channel 9 with journalists Marino Zapete and Edith Febles. On their morning talk show yesterday, Monday, 7 December 2015 the journalists announced that they had been given one week's notice. Zapete told his Twitter followers: "The powers that be have ousted us."
Zapete said that their style does not fit in with Grupo SIN's business model.
The program was originally aired on Antena Latina Channel 7 and moved to Channel 9 when Grupo SIN made the change.
The news became a trending topic yesterday, Monday 7 December 2015.
Earlier, El Equipo por CDN 5-7pm talk show had announced their contract would not be renewed as of January 2016. Producers Diana Lora, Franklin Guerrero and Altagracia Salazar are also known for their independent commentaries.

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/12/...-periodista-marino-zapete-dice-nos-saco-poder

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/12/...-investigar-despido-zapete-febles-despertador

http://www.cdn.com.do/programas/el-equipo/

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
Very Happy to hear they will be back on TV.......Two strong voices should never be silenced! If there is true democracy, then their thoughts and opinions should be heard, especially when the disenfranchised does not get a chance to tell their side in a country where money controls what is presented to the world. Good news indeed.

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
Rumor has it that both journalist were seen meeting with CDN.....so perhaps they will taking over that slot in the near future.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't think so! Just listen to Consuelo Despradel ... no manners, no courtesy, language borderline offensive ... yet people listen and actually like her. I cannot even count how many times she said the "k" word on the air.
Consuelo is very pro-Dominican, Zapete not so much.

Case closed.

Maybe Zapete will get a new show.... in Port-au-Prince.

Just saying...

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
It is very hard for many to be pro-dominican when the people are not getting what they need from the government....there is large income inequality and even though we are living in the new millenium, half the folks do not have clean drinking water and quality electricity or healthcare....where are the pros behind that? As far as the school system goes....The Republic is lagging way behind when compared to other areas in Latin America and the Caribbean.....should I go on? I think when things are being done correctly then there is much to be proud of, but until then we need voices that will denounce irregularities in hopes of having them fixed.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
nothing newsworthy or unexpected here. just another day in the life of a country which is yet to flirt with the concept of democracy.

The owners expressed their democratic right ..there is not a single shred of evidence that anyone these two attacked forced the owner to not renew their contracts. ..and really who likes the k word said on the radio unless you are really crude .

DannyWings

Nov 17, 2015
Pride is something you earn. It's not stamped on your head when you are born. I always ask the question of why someone is proud of being from somewhere. When then cannot give a definitive answer, then they didn't earn it. People wave their flags and have no clue. here in NY if you ask a young proud Boriqua if they are proud of "El Grito de Lares", they have no idea of it's meaning and how important it was for the independence and fight of all PR's. Very sad. this goes for everyone who was born in another country or have a bloodline to a particular one.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Consuelo is very pro-Dominican, Zapete not so much.

Case closed.

Maybe Zapete will get a new show.... in Port-au-Prince.

Just saying...

NALS, there is a difference between being anti Dominican and being anti malfeasance. not because the guy rails against the criminal enterprise that runs so many aspects of Dominican life means he is anti Dominican.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The owners expressed their democratic right ..there is not a single shred of evidence that anyone these two attacked forced the owner to not renew their contracts. ..and really who likes the k word said on the radio unless you are really crude .

there are certain things that can be read between the lines. you do not need to be privy to certain machinations to figure them out yourself. the DR ranks pretty low in freedom of the press tables, and we all know that you have to be extremely careful about what you say against the government here.

as to swear words...well, i know that this is not the USA, but a 2 Fox News TV personnel used the s word on a live program, and only got a 2 week suspension.