Installing electricity meter

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I live in the upstairs apartment of a duplex. We only have one meter though. Got the first bill today, $2700DP. The bill was for October 8 - November 8. I just moved in on October 23. The landlord says I need to pay $2100DP. Which I will not. I will pay for 1/4 of the bill though. My question is, Is it possible to get a meter just for my apartment? Is that a costly venture?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It's possible, but will the landlord allow it?

EdeNorte charges about $1,400 pesos for a new account.

Plus the cost of separating the lines so the electric company has somewhere that they can connect the meter.

That would be your expense to get someone to do the line separation.

And that may not be possible depending on how the apartment was wired when it was built. Dominican electricians take the easiest route to wiring a house/apartment. You may need to install a separate electrical panel if you do not already have one. The wiring may be intertwined, connected with other units/rooms, etc.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I live in the upstairs apartment of a duplex. We only have one meter though. Got the first bill today, $2700DP. The bill was for October 8 - November 8. I just moved in on October 23. The landlord says I need to pay $2100DP. Which I will not. I will pay for 1/4 of the bill though. My question is, Is it possible to get a meter just for my apartment? Is that a costly venture?

That price is very cheap but it sounds like the landlord is trying to take advantage of you. Write down the pro-rated amount you will pay with a breakdown of how you reached that amount and give it to him with your payment. If he can't figure that out than you will have a continuous problem with the electricity payments.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I am forever looking for another apartment. Dominicans are really sketchy to rent from. Considering buying my own place but I know that is another headache as well.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
That price is very cheap but it sounds like the landlord is trying to take advantage of you. Write down the pro-rated amount you will pay with a breakdown of how you reached that amount and give it to him with your payment. If he can't figure that out than you will have a continuous problem with the electricity payments.

The first apartment I rented was a 3 bedroom with air conditioning in one bedroom. One month electricity was $1000DP. This apartment is 2 bedrooms with air conditioning in one bedroom so I figured the cost would be about the same. Boy was I wrong.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I figured this one was old. I am bringing a copy of it to my lawyer today, who is reviewing the rental contract.

If you moved in the last week of Oct. and the bill was until Nov 8th than you owe approximately 50% of that bill which would be around 1350 pesos or 30-35 dollars. That really is cheap.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
If you moved in the last week of Oct. and the bill was until Nov 8th than you owe approximately 50% of that bill which would be around 1350 pesos or 30-35 dollars. That really is cheap.

And I should only owe half of 1350 pesos because this bill is for my apartment and the apartment below me.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
That depends upon what your lease says.

My lease, which was not signed yet because lawyer has not given the ok yet, says that I pay for my electricity. Kind of hard to discern what part of the bill is mine and what part of the bill the other tenant is responsible for.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My lease, which was not signed yet because lawyer has not given the ok yet, says that I pay for my electricity. Kind of hard to discern what part of the bill is mine and what part of the bill the other tenant is responsible for.

Have the lease amended to be clear on that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Look for another apartment with a separate meter and move........

i agree.

not to be critical, andrea, but if daily life here is so much hassle maybe it's worth to rethink some of your choices. it's difficult to rent from dominicans? try dealing with foreigners (although you may find it's not much of an improvement). cannot afford better apartment? downsize and pick up something smaller but decent. remember that your happiness also has a price. it's unnecessary stress to run to a lawyer every time you encounter an issue with landlord. gotta keep the peace of mind here.

in any case, good luck. i kinda feel you're in a need of that.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
i agree.

not to be critical, andrea, but if daily life here is so much hassle maybe it's worth to rethink some of your choices. it's difficult to rent from dominicans? try dealing with foreigners (although you may find it's not much of an improvement). cannot afford better apartment? downsize and pick up something smaller but decent. remember that your happiness also has a price. it's unnecessary stress to run to a lawyer every time you encounter an issue with landlord. gotta keep the peace of mind here.

in any case, good luck. i kinda feel you're in a need of that.

I am happy with this apartment and until today I was happy with the landlord. I have retained this lawyer to make a contract that is fair for both parties involved. Dealing with the electricity aspect is part of the negotiations.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
And I should only owe half of 1350 pesos because this bill is for my apartment and the apartment below me.

Again, it depend on your usage compared to the other apartments usage.
Your running a/c, is the other apartment the same, or maybe they're running 2 a/c units
Before you can understand fully what % is your responsibility, you will need this information.
One problem, he will tell you he never runs his.....