Drought and the tobacco crop

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Has the drought affected the tobacco crop? My favorite Dominican cigar is LaCaya, and they are all sold out, can't find them anywhere.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The drought seems to be over. Is the manufacturer still in business. If not there is a really good place in Otra Banda called Don Fonso. Great cigars and reasonable prices. If your on the east coast.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
The drought seems to be over. Is the manufacturer still in business. If not there is a really good place in Otra Banda called Don Fonso. Great cigars and reasonable prices. If your on the east coast.

Thanks, I will give them a try.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
dont be sure if you find em buy all you can evan at double price remember you saving

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
La Caya is no longer in business...I think I have maybe a box around here somewhere. If you are interested in coming to Santiago, you can have them.

The better cigars (there are no "best") are made in the Santiago area.(Ooops! I almost made a boo boo. There are super mega excellent cigars made in La Romana by the Garcial/Altadis factory as well as by a guy whose name I can't remember but should. Sorry, since he is a really good blender and was manager of Altadis for over 25 or 30 years!!) Anything outside the area is made with tobacco brought from the area and only rolled elsewhere.
Which is not to say they might not be good and smokeable. Everything is in the curing and blending of the different leaves.

There are some long-standing boutique factories that are well-known amongst aficionados.

Cordially,

HB

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
La Caya is no longer in business...I think I have maybe a box around here somewhere. If you are interested in coming to Santiago, you can have them.

The better cigars (there are no "best") are made in the Santiago area.(Ooops! I almost made a boo boo. There are super mega excellent cigars made in La Romana by the Garcial/Altadis factory as well as by a guy whose name I can't remember but should. Sorry, since he is a really good blender and was manager of Altadis for over 25 or 30 years!!) Anything outside the area is made with tobacco brought from the area and only rolled elsewhere.
Which is not to say they might not be good and smokeable. Everything is in the curing and blending of the different leaves.

There are some long-standing boutique factories that are well-known amongst aficionados.

Cordially,

HB

Thanks for the great info. Most of my time is spent in Samana but my wife visits Santiago and Bonao. Maybe I will ask her to get them and I would be happy to pay you for them. My favorite was LaCaya Brasil Gordo.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

Cordially,

HB

I recently got an email from cubancrafters.com and apparently they are making the La Caya's again.  Just ordered a box of gordos.  Hopefully they will be as good as before.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I recently got an email from cubancrafters.com and apparently they are making the La Caya's again.  Just ordered a box of gordos.  Hopefully they will be as good as before.

I just looked and they're only $79/box. That's very reasonable. How do they compare with with a similar sized R&J or Montecristo? Maybe a fairer comparison would be with an Aurora(?).

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the great info. Most of my time is spent in Samana but my wife visits Santiago and Bonao. Maybe I will ask her to get them and I would be happy to pay you for them. My favorite was LaCaya Brasil Gordo.

Great cigar shop in Las Terrenas, Mundo Puro. Wide selection including their own house brand which is very good.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Great cigar shop in Las Terrenas, Mundo Puro. Wide selection including their own house brand which is very good.

Near the "Y" in the road? I think I was there. If it is the same place, yes they were good!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I just looked and they're only $79/box. That's very reasonable. How do they compare with with a similar sized R&J or Montecristo? Maybe a fairer comparison would be with an Aurora(?).

Yes it is a very good price. I bought one in the DR, loved it, but could never find it for sale again in the DR. I do not know what to compare it to, I never had the two that you mentioned. Very strong and unique in my opinion.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes it is a very good price. I bought one in the DR, loved it, but could never find it for sale again in the DR. I do not know what to compare it to, I never had the two that you mentioned. Very strong and unique in my opinion.

I checked and La Caya, along with many other tobacaleras are located in Tamboril, but except for Romeo y Julieta, Montecristo, Aurora, and a few others, I have never seen any of these smaller brand name cigars for sale here in the DR. Really strange. When I moved here I really expected to find many of these smaller local cigars for sale everywhere, but they're nowhere to be found(?).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I checked and La Caya, along with many other tobacaleras are located in Tamboril, but except for Romeo y Julieta, Montecristo, Aurora, and a few others, I have never seen any of these smaller brand name cigars for sale here in the DR. Really strange. When I moved here I really expected to find many of these smaller local cigars for sale everywhere, but they're nowhere to be found(?).

There are those here that can point you in the right direction. Hillbilly for one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off, I am not sure if La Caya is still in business.There are tons of smaller factories in Tamboril, Santiago, Villa Gonzales, Navarrete that you can visit and buy cigars.

Do come and try it out. It might be fun..

HB

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
First off, I am not sure if La Caya is still in business.There are tons of smaller factories in Tamboril, Santiago, Villa Gonzales, Navarrete that you can visit and buy cigars.

Do come and try it out. It might be fun..

HB

Any idea why many of these smaller tabacaleras don't sell their cigars locally?