85% of legally employed make under 15k pesos a month

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/12/10/mayoria-gana-menos-15-mil

a short recap:
between 80% and 85% of legally employed dominicans make less than 15,000 pesos a month.

the official unemployment statistics stands at 16,3%.

according to experts in the article there is a discrepancy between reported steady economic growth of dominican economy and the employment situation, in particular the fact that DR does not generate high quality employment opportunities.

of the unemployed the largest number is women between 20 and 29 (duh).

the average male makes 15,000 while female makes 12,000.

the percentage of those with informal employment is about 55%, that is more than half of all job openings in DR is in grey zone.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Can somebody explain to me who are those people who do shopping in IKEA making long lines at the cashiers? Every time I go there, it's really full of customers, and everybody is buying something, not lust looking. Who are those people? For sure they are not the ones with the RD$15,000 salary.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Can somebody explain to me who are those people who do shopping in IKEA making long lines at the cashiers? Every time I go there, it's really full of customers, and everybody is buying something, not lust looking. Who are those people? For sure they are not the ones with the RD$15,000 salary.

Thats me...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That was a legitimate question.
Sort of makes you marvel at the salaries posted earlier this week on Diario Libre about the apparatchiks of the PLD that have been at the feeding trough for so many years.

HB

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
That was a legitimate question.
Sort of makes you marvel at the salaries posted earlier this week on Diario Libre about the apparatchiks of the PLD that have been at the feeding trough for so many years.

HB

Sorry for off–topic, but I love the word that you used to describe them.

---------------------

On a serious note, stores like IKEA and some malls are full of people spending money. And for sure they all can't be the hotel chain owners or PLD functionaries.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
double booking. lots of people make more money than they report. official salary vs real salary. think of ma and pa employing their useless moron snowflake offspring in a family business, for example.
and of course, SD is where the money goes. salaries are higher, job openings are better and folks from outside of the city go there too. plus over half of dominicans are employed in so called informal section, that is no one knows how much they really make.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the statistics only examine the legally employed people, who constitute 40% of the population, if that much. the rest of the people are self employed, and do not fall into that discussion. the guys you see at IKEA are the ones who are self employed, who probably make much more money per month than the formally employed. a loanshark can make 15 large in a day.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I wonder how much remittances are worth? How many Dominican families receive dollars or euros from whoever overseas.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
so 80$us aweek???kinda ,,around....and to think i pay and think in dollares for domestics....how much is a girl these days/ or nights???

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

5% Well paid or self employed Dominicans means 500,000 people, and they all live in Santo Domingo, probably somewhere between Maximo Gomez , Luperon, Kennedy and Malecon. You'll run into these people all the time at the malls, IKEA and in their yeepetas when you drive around in the city. All the rest is poor.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
so 80$us aweek???kinda ,,around....and to think i pay and think in dollares for domestics....how much is a girl these days/ or nights???

from RD$1200 per hour in Boca Chica and up to US$180 per hour in Conejitas club in Punta Cana. Some elite whores want even more.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
5% Well paid or self employed Dominicans means 500,000 people, and they all live in Santo Domingo, probably somewhere between Maximo Gomez , Luperon, Kennedy and Malecon. You'll run into these people all the time at the malls, IKEA and in their yeepetas when you drive around in the city. All the rest is poor.

Plenty of other Dominicans make salaries in the 20-35, 000 pesos per month as well. Many Dominicans also use the CC and pay off what they buy monthly. Many of those shopping in IKEA are from other cities. Plenty of rich in Santiago, San Francisco de Marcoris, Jarabacoa, La Vega......etc.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2015/12/10/mayoria-gana-menos-15-mil

a short recap:
between 80% and 85% of legally employed dominicans make less than 15,000 pesos a month.

the official unemployment statistics stands at 16,3%.

according to experts in the article there is a discrepancy between reported steady economic growth of dominican economy and the employment situation, in particular the fact that DR does not generate high quality employment opportunities.

of the unemployed the largest number is women between 20 and 29 (duh).

the average male makes 15,000 while female makes 12,000.

the percentage of those with informal employment is about 55%, that is more than half of all job openings in DR is in grey zone.

Sadly that is a very low amount in terms of what NA's are used to but in the DR many do not have the education to get a job that is equivelent to their skills. Most are unskilled laborers. It is equal to people in the US that work at fast food restaurants. Their education levels and skills are just not there. You can't expect high wages at a job design to pay minimum wage. That is also true in the DR. Also workers in the DR do not have to pay high taxes on their wages.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've read/heard of remittances being on average US$500 a week. That's a lot of scratch. According to "PanAmerican World" in 2014, remittances are the DR's third largest source of income.

http://www.panamericanworld.com/en/article/remittances-third-largest-source-foreign-income-dominican-republic

i have no idea how to translate the 500 dollar average per week. i do not know if it means that if you divide the total amount of remittance by the population, it averages 500 dollars per. that is so ridiculous, it does not merit examination. if the average Dominican was getting 500 per week, that would be close to 90,000 pesos per month!!

Aug 6, 2006
What percentage of the population could be called middle class, and how much do they earn monthly?
I am guessing that at least RD$80,000 would be needed to actually raise a typical family of four, even in the provinces.
In Barahona, the largest businesses (banks, mining, sugar) belong to owners who live most of the time in Santo Domingo, or are foreign owned. The midrange businesses seem to be mostly run by what are called in much of Latin America "los turcos": who are Syrian, Lebanese and Palestinian, and I assume either Christians or nonpracticing Muslims, since I don't think there is any sort of mosque in Barahona. There is a prosperous-looking "Club L?bano-Sirio-Palestino".
Among the largest businesses in Barahona are the Khoury cement block factory and the "Tres Esquinas de Jacobo" stores which sell clothing, hardware and other stuff.
Jacobo is more expensive than stores in SD, but there are always two prices: the official price (that no one pays) and the "descuento" price which you get just for being you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What percentage of the population could be called middle class, and how much do they earn monthly?
I am guessing that at least RD$80,000 would be needed to actually raise a typical family of four, even in the provinces.
In Barahona, the largest businesses (banks, mining, sugar) belong to owners who live most of the time in Santo Domingo, or are foreign owned. The midrange businesses seem to be mostly run by what are called in much of Latin America "los turcos": who are Syrian, Lebanese and Palestinian, and I assume either Christians or nonpracticing Muslims, since I don't think there is any sort of mosque in Barahona. There is a prosperous-looking "Club L?bano-Sirio-Palestino".
Among the largest businesses in Barahona are the Khoury cement block factory and the "Tres Esquinas de Jacobo" stores which sell clothing, hardware and other stuff.
Jacobo is more expensive than stores in SD, but there are always two prices: the official price (that no one pays) and the "descuento" price which you get just for being you.

the ethnic echelons are no different in the British caribbean. the only difference is that the Hispanics call them Turcos, and we call them Syrians. the constructs are the same