Another electricity question.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
Is it legal to run a line from someone else's meter to power your own house if the person gives you permission?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Can't see why not as long as you hook it up on the paying side of the meter.
You would probably be better to hook up off the breaker panel that way you will have some level of protection

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You had mentioned that you had a box in your apartment, and that's a good sign. But you could still have lines coming out of that box going to someone else's unit. The only way to know for sure is to have a good electrician trace all the lines coming out of your box. You would want to do that prior to spending any money on modifications.

I don't have their names, but there are one or two good gringo electricians on the North Coast.

Honestly though, I think you'll have other problems with this landlord if you stay.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
You had mentioned that you had a box in your apartment, and that's a good sign. But you could still have lines coming out of that box going to someone else's unit. The only way to know for sure is to have a good electrician trace all the lines coming out of your box. You would want to do that prior to spending any money on modifications.

I don't have their names, but there are one or two good gringo electricians on the North Coast.

Honestly though, I think you'll have other problems with this landlord if you stay.

I agree. I am looking for another apartment. Hard though because I have 2 large dogs.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Best to get an electrician. I did my sons basement in Canada this past summer. Code there is no more than 4 boxes off a 15 amp breaker. High use items like microwaves, toaster ovens etc should have their own breaker.
If you run AC then you also have to go to 220 volt.
One other big thing is the house you are drawing power from should have at least 100 amp service. If its lower than that it will probably cause you both grief.
You might want to consider your own meter.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I think the legality will be the least of your problems.

Cable rating,routing and length together with the consumption you expect are quite critical if you are looking for a safe hook-up.

Probably ok for a few lights etc. but not for heavy consumers like water heaters or electric stoves etc.
How would you calculate how much to pay the neighbor?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Apart from all that.

I dont think it is legal. We have a guy living away from the road in our campo. Electricity company and water company dont want to hook him up.
Well they do, but roadside, up to him to pull wires up to his place..... and its quite far.
Anyway BIL, runs an extension up to his house/hut, and they split the bill.
BIL unhooks extension the days they come round to read counter.
I asked why.
BIL says an aunt used to do the extension thingy for the guy, and edenorte cut her off, and she had to pay reconnection fee.

And anyway you lose the cheap first 200 kwh., if u do that.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Is it legal to run a line from someone else's meter to power your own house if the person gives you permission?
No. My landlord hooked up his son's apartment downstairs to his brother's house next door and disconnected mine. I signed a contract today with Edeeste so I will get my own meter within 5 days.

So, what you are saying is that you are not intending to do it, just wondering if the landlord was doing anything illegal !

Kinda indicates the landlord was having his tenant in the 2nd unit pay for most of his son's electric, and now that you are on to it, he's connecting next door where they are possibly bypassing the meter for some of the electricity.

Edeeste will not approve of the connection to the other house.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
More words of caution:

Since the place you live is a Duplex, there is still the possibility that some of the wiring connections in your half of the duplex (After the breakers) are connected to circuits in the other half of the duplex.

Some will advise that you turn off all your breakers and see if the meter still runs. Not so simple a test, that only works if they are connected between your meter and your breaker panel. Because it's a duplex, parts of each half could still be connected after the breaker panel.

I just installed a DoorPhone Camera in my second house, I thought it would be simple to power it off the 24/7 inverter circuit that feeds the door bell out front at the gate. The wire feeding that circuit goes to 7 other wires, none of which goes straight back to the breaker panel.

Wait until night when the "son" has his lights on in the house, then have someone shut off all your beakers and watch to see if any of his lights/TV etc goes off. I would not trust your landlord.

You're in the D.R., all is possible, leave no stone unturned.
I get into trouble a lot for thinking that way. :):):)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I would say it is not legal to tamper with an electric line or property that you don't own. The power company does not look favorably upon playing with their wires. They may come along and cut the wire down. I would not do this without their approval. You have a better chance of having them put in a separate meter

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My feeling is that the "Landlord" wants to "assure" you know that the electric for the half of the duplex being used by his "son" is totally separate from your electric. That way you will not question your electric bill even if some of his son's electric may still be paid for by you.

Shell Game?

RED FLAG:

Why else would he all of a sudden decide that his son will now be "connected" next door when he has a "good separate" meter already when Edeeste connects your new meter?

I'm betting someone is being ripped off, either you, Edeeste or both.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
More words of caution:

Since the place you live is a Duplex, there is still the possibility that some of the wiring connections in your half of the duplex (After the breakers) are connected to circuits in the other half of the duplex.

Some will advise that you turn off all your breakers and see if the meter still runs. Not so simple a test, that only works if they are connected between your meter and your breaker panel. Because it's a duplex, parts of each half could still be connected after the breaker panel.

I just installed a DoorPhone Camera in my second house, I thought it would be simple to power it off the 24/7 inverter circuit that feeds the door bell out front at the gate. The wire feeding that circuit goes to 7 other wires, none of which goes straight back to the breaker panel.

Wait until night when the "son" has his lights on in the house, then have someone shut off all your beakers and watch to see if any of his lights/TV etc goes off. I would not trust your landlord.

You're in the D.R., all is possible, leave no stone unturned.
I get into trouble a lot for thinking that way. :):):)

Omg, that is a good idea. Wish I would have thought of that last night while I was sitting here in the dark contemplating life, lol.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
My feeling is that the "Landlord" wants to "assure" you know that the electric for the half of the duplex being used by his "son" is totally separate from your electric. That way you will not question your electric bill even if some of his son's electric may still be paid for by you.

Shell Game?

RED FLAG:

Why else would he all of a sudden decide that his son will now be "connected" next door when he has a "good separate" meter already when Edeeste connects your new meter?

I'm betting someone is being ripped off, either you, Edeeste or both.

He connected next door I realized because he never paid the electric bill so edeeste turned off the power. I gave him my share but he could not afford his share or refuses to pay his share, not sure.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I would say it is not legal to tamper with an electric line or property that you don't own. The power company does not look favorably upon playing with their wires. They may come along and cut the wire down. I would not do this without their approval. You have a better chance of having them put in a separate meter

Filled out the paperwork for my own meter. They told me to come back to the office in 5 days. Not sure why I need to go back into the office and unclear as to when my meter will actually be installed though.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Omg, that is a good idea. Wish I would have thought of that last night while I was sitting here in the dark contemplating life, lol.

That's what I was talking about with an electrician doing a trace of lines coming out of your box. He can confirm they all go to your unit, or he'll tell you one or more are going somewhere else. Flipping breakers on and off to see if your neighbors lights go out is fine, but what if they don't have a light on that circuit? An electrician doing a trace will be able to give you a good analysis.