Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Another electricity question.

Is it legal to run a line from someone else's meter to power your own house if the person gives you permission?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't see why not as long as you hook it up on the paying side of the meter.
    You would probably be better to hook up off the breaker panel that way you will have some level of protection

3. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    Can't see why not as long as you hook it up on the paying side of the meter.
    You would probably be better to hook up off the breaker panel that way you will have some level of protection
    Agree

5. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Duguay View Post
    Is it legal to run a line from someone else's meter to power your own house if the person gives you permission?
    And then you'll pay for his?

7. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You had mentioned that you had a box in your apartment, and that's a good sign. But you could still have lines coming out of that box going to someone else's unit. The only way to know for sure is to have a good electrician trace all the lines coming out of your box. You would want to do that prior to spending any money on modifications.

I don't have their names, but there are one or two good gringo electricians on the North Coast.

Honestly though, I think you'll have other problems with this landlord if you stay.

9. Likes Andrea Duguay, KateP, Tracym liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    And then you'll pay for his?
    No. My landlord hooked up his son's apartment downstairs to his brother's house next door and disconnected mine. I signed a contract today with Edeeste so I will get my own meter within 5 days.

11. Likes frank recktenwald liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    You had mentioned that you had a box in your apartment, and that's a good sign. But you could still have lines coming out of that box going to someone else's unit. The only way to know for sure is to have a good electrician trace all the lines coming out of your box. You would want to do that prior to spending any money on modifications.

I don't have their names, but there are one or two good gringo electricians on the North Coast.

Honestly though, I think you'll have other problems with this landlord if you stay.
    I agree. I am looking for another apartment. Hard though because I have 2 large dogs.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Best to get an electrician. I did my sons basement in Canada this past summer. Code there is no more than 4 boxes off a 15 amp breaker. High use items like microwaves, toaster ovens etc should have their own breaker.
    If you run AC then you also have to go to 220 volt.
    One other big thing is the house you are drawing power from should have at least 100 amp service. If its lower than that it will probably cause you both grief.
    You might want to consider your own meter.

14. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the legality will be the least of your problems.

Cable rating,routing and length together with the consumption you expect are quite critical if you are looking for a safe hook-up.

Probably ok for a few lights etc. but not for heavy consumers like water heaters or electric stoves etc.
    How would you calculate how much to pay the neighbor?

16. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

ha i ran a 100ft extension cord for two weeks once what a pain...

18. Likes Andrea Duguay liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast