Donating Blood~ residency required at Red Cross.

May 29, 2006
My esposa's mom has been in the hospital for over a month now, and being O+, I was asked to donate for her for yet another operation. We went down to the Red Cross in Romana to do it, but when we got there, I was turned away for not having residency. Three months minimum to give blood. I've given in other countries as a tourist and never had an issue, and we had papers of a blood test I took the week before for HIV and Hep C.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My esposa's mom has been in the hospital for over a month now, and being O+, I was asked to donate for her for yet another operation. We went down to the Red Cross in Romana to do it, but when we got there, I was turned away for not having residency. Three months minimum to give blood. I've given in other countries as a tourist and never had an issue, and we had papers of a blood test I took the week before for HIV and Hep C.

remember where you are.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
go directly to the hospital they might do it there. they accept blood right at the hospitals in Puerto Plata and I am pretty sure they will accept a passport.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
After the big bus crash near Otra Banda a few weeks ago the hospitals were asking for doners.
I don't think anyone was turned away. This country sure does lack consistency.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
They tried to turn me away for trying to give blood to a male friend, told me women's blood was weaker and so they could not use it in a man. I had a complete meltdown and they finally took my blood. lol

May 29, 2006
Re: Otra Banda, I would have tried to give for that(I'm in Higuey), but I was already planning on donating for the mom. When I was in Vermont, I used to give five times a year.

May 29, 2006
They tried to turn me away for trying to give blood to a male friend, told me women's blood was weaker and so they could not use it in a man. I had a complete meltdown and they finally took my blood. lol

Wow.. it's not like he has to do math afterwards!!

dropshort

May 18, 2008
In Canada I started giving blood at aged 21.
I have given blood in three cities and two provinces.

I stopped when the transfusion service stopped understanding English.
I walked out and never looked back.

DS

KITTU

May 13, 2015
In Canada I started giving blood at aged 21.
I have given blood in three cities and two provinces.

I stopped when the transfusion service stopped understanding English.
I walked out and never looked back.

DS

I am regular donor since the age of 18. A+ Let me know if you need...Though stopped giving blood in Switzerland cos it's super complicated and everytime i had to travel to my country, had to wait six months before i can give blood again due to security reasons.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
just when I think I have heard it all re: DR something like this pops up. Old blood is no good, non residents no good, man for womans blood is no good. Amazing. Anything is posible here.