Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Donating Blood~ residency required at Red Cross.

My esposa's mom has been in the hospital for over a month now, and being O+, I was asked to donate for her for yet another operation. We went down to the Red Cross in Romana to do it, but when we got there, I was turned away for not having residency. Three months minimum to give blood. I've given in other countries as a tourist and never had an issue, and we had papers of a blood test I took the week before for HIV and Hep C.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    My esposa's mom has been in the hospital for over a month now, and being O+, I was asked to donate for her for yet another operation. We went down to the Red Cross in Romana to do it, but when we got there, I was turned away for not having residency. Three months minimum to give blood. I've given in other countries as a tourist and never had an issue, and we had papers of a blood test I took the week before for HIV and Hep C.
    remember where you are.

3. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

go directly to the hospital they might do it there. they accept blood right at the hospitals in Puerto Plata and I am pretty sure they will accept a passport.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to donate blood for my sister-law at private hospital in the capital and was turned down for being over 65.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

After the big bus crash near Otra Banda a few weeks ago the hospitals were asking for doners.
    I don't think anyone was turned away. This country sure does lack consistency.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They tried to turn me away for trying to give blood to a male friend, told me women's blood was weaker and so they could not use it in a man. I had a complete meltdown and they finally took my blood. lol

8. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Otra Banda, I would have tried to give for that(I'm in Higuey), but I was already planning on donating for the mom. When I was in Vermont, I used to give five times a year.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sylindr View Post
    They tried to turn me away for trying to give blood to a male friend, told me women's blood was weaker and so they could not use it in a man. I had a complete meltdown and they finally took my blood. lol
    Wow.. it's not like he has to do math afterwards!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In Canada I started giving blood at aged 21.
    I have given blood in three cities and two provinces.

I stopped when the transfusion service stopped understanding English.
    I walked out and never looked back.

DS

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dropshort View Post
    In Canada I started giving blood at aged 21.
    I have given blood in three cities and two provinces.

I stopped when the transfusion service stopped understanding English.
    I walked out and never looked back.

DS
    I am regular donor since the age of 18. A+ Let me know if you need...Though stopped giving blood in Switzerland cos it's super complicated and everytime i had to travel to my country, had to wait six months before i can give blood again due to security reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast