Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Donating Blood~ residency required at Red Cross.

    My esposa's mom has been in the hospital for over a month now, and being O+, I was asked to donate for her for yet another operation. We went down to the Red Cross in Romana to do it, but when we got there, I was turned away for not having residency. Three months minimum to give blood. I've given in other countries as a tourist and never had an issue, and we had papers of a blood test I took the week before for HIV and Hep C.

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    My esposa's mom has been in the hospital for over a month now, and being O+, I was asked to donate for her for yet another operation. We went down to the Red Cross in Romana to do it, but when we got there, I was turned away for not having residency. Three months minimum to give blood. I've given in other countries as a tourist and never had an issue, and we had papers of a blood test I took the week before for HIV and Hep C.
    remember where you are.

  3. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
  4. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    485
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    go directly to the hospital they might do it there. they accept blood right at the hospitals in Puerto Plata and I am pretty sure they will accept a passport.

  5. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I went to donate blood for my sister-law at private hospital in the capital and was turned down for being over 65.

  6. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,746
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After the big bus crash near Otra Banda a few weeks ago the hospitals were asking for doners.
    I don't think anyone was turned away. This country sure does lack consistency.

  7. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    485
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They tried to turn me away for trying to give blood to a male friend, told me women's blood was weaker and so they could not use it in a man. I had a complete meltdown and they finally took my blood. lol

  8. Likes mountainannie liked this post
  9. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Re: Otra Banda, I would have tried to give for that(I'm in Higuey), but I was already planning on donating for the mom. When I was in Vermont, I used to give five times a year.

  10. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sylindr View Post
    They tried to turn me away for trying to give blood to a male friend, told me women's blood was weaker and so they could not use it in a man. I had a complete meltdown and they finally took my blood. lol
    Wow.. it's not like he has to do math afterwards!!

  11. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In Canada I started giving blood at aged 21.
    I have given blood in three cities and two provinces.

    I stopped when the transfusion service stopped understanding English.
    I walked out and never looked back.

    DS

  12. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dropshort View Post
    In Canada I started giving blood at aged 21.
    I have given blood in three cities and two provinces.

    I stopped when the transfusion service stopped understanding English.
    I walked out and never looked back.

    DS
    I am regular donor since the age of 18. A+ Let me know if you need...Though stopped giving blood in Switzerland cos it's super complicated and everytime i had to travel to my country, had to wait six months before i can give blood again due to security reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •