Cat and her food through Customs

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
In bringing a cat through customs, I understand it is necessary to have a letter from a USDA certified vet that the cat is in good health. Anything else?

Are you able to ship a bag of sealed cat food through a mundanza or bring it with you in a suitcase?

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
In bringing a cat through customs, I understand it is necessary to have a letter from a USDA certified vet that the cat is in good health. Anything else?

Are you able to ship a bag of sealed cat food through a mundanza or bring it with you in a suitcase?

Tonchi, as I understand it, the USDA certificate is only necessary if the cat flies cargo. If you bring the cat on-board the aircraft with you in a carrier that will fit under the seat, you just need a good health letter from a vet. This was explained to me last spring when we brought my sister in laws cat back with us from Miami. We brought her aboard, just a vet letter, and a quick look and the payment upon arrival, no problem at all. We had no USDA letter/certificate.

The food is no problem either, sealed or not, just put it in your luggage inside another bag maybe, in case it bursts, and it will be fine.

I had envisioned all kinds of possible scenarios when we brought the kitty but it was very easy with no issues.

We flew into Santiago (STI)

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

People are confusing the issue. Simply go to your vet. He will fill out the International Travel document showing your cat has been given all necessary shots and it is current. Bring this with you when you check in at the airport. When you go thru security you will need to take the cat out of travel bag and carry thru. Make sure you have a soft sided travel bag and not a hard case. You will need to put at your feet under the seat to some point. Also, bring to the DR any flea and tick or other medicine you may have. Bugs are bad in the DR. Mosquitos are exceptionally bad after dark. When you arrive in the DR come thru customs and immigration and someone from animal control will spot you and ask you for your document. He/she will fill out a DR form and give you a copy. You will pay approximately $10usd. Keep your US Vet document and the copy of the DR document. You will need it when you return to the US. When you arrive at the airport for your return trip you need to check in with DR animal control and give him your forms before checking in at the airline gate. If you are coming into SD the animal control office is found to the left of the main entrance to the airport lobby, in a series of offices that are at ground level. Give yourself enough time to do it all. If you are going to be in the DR for more than a couple of week you may need to update your travel form witha Dominican Vet. The form from the US has a time limit on it. Good luck. Remember be careful in the DR with your pet. This is a whole different environment than what he/she is used to . Yes, you can bring in food in your luggage.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Tonchi, as I understand it, the USDA certificate is only necessary if the cat flies cargo. If you bring the cat on-board the aircraft with you in a carrier that will fit under the seat, you just need a good health letter from a vet.

You need the USDA certificate.

anarquista

Dec 15, 2004
I was worried about this when I brought my cat this year but the USDA endorsement was not required.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I ended up going to a USDA certified vet who gave me the appropriate letter. The biggest problem was with American Airlines. The ticket agent wasn't sure the proper vaccinations were given. They were. Then after you pay $125 per cat, I learned that the two carriers counted as carry-ons. And you cant have more than two. This forced me to put two cats into a single carrier. Then there was that $400 charge for having two bags a total of 30 pounds overweight. I would have been easier and less expensive to buy a suitcase and just pay $200 for that bag, but the flight was already boarding. Took over 2 hours to get thru the gate.

In Puerto Plata, just took them to the inspector who took my $20 and my papers and never looked at the cats.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Go to your regular vet and have him fill out an International Travel form which shows that your cat is in good health and has had all its shots. Make sure you also brings any medication for fleas and ticks and mosquitos. There are many bugs in the DR. When you get to the airport and go through customs someone will spot you and check your paper work and fill out a DR form and give you a copy. Hold onto this. You will need to turn it in when you leave the country. You will need to pay around $10 usds. If you are coming into Santo Domingo and leaving from there you will need to go to the Animal Control office when you leave. This is located in an office which run on the outside of the airport to the left of the main entrance. Good luck and good travels.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I ended up going to a USDA certified vet who gave me the appropriate letter. The biggest problem was with American Airlines. The ticket agent wasn't sure the proper vaccinations were given. They were. Then after you pay $125 per cat, I learned that the two carriers counted as carry-ons. And you cant have more than two. This forced me to put two cats into a single carrier. Then there was that $400 charge for having two bags a total of 30 pounds overweight. I would have been easier and less expensive to buy a suitcase and just pay $200 for that bag, but the flight was already boarding. Took over 2 hours to get thru the gate.

In Puerto Plata, just took them to the inspector who took my $20 and my papers and never looked at the cats.

All's well that ends well.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Appreciate this post as I'm going to take my rescued kitten to the States this Summer.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

OR, get a new cat here in the DR!
We have too many!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Appreciate this post as I'm going to take my rescued kitten to the States this Summer.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????.
Bring some "Plantanos" when you come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC