Do you really need to buy a car?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've been here for almost 16 months now. I did buy a pasola shortly after arriving so I do appreciate the need to be immediately mobile at least during the daytime.

Cars, I suppose there are two though processes in play. When you decide to buy a car you have two choices, a newer vehicle or an older one. Doesn't much matter which option you choose, you will pay significantly more for either, than you would where you come from unless that happens to be upper Mongolia where you will probably have to pay a premium as well.

I personally don't go anywhere far away most of the time. Just to the local stores, bars, pharmacias etc. If I bought a car it would sit in my driveway more days than not. A car is certainly drier when it's raining, but if it's raining, I would probably choose not to go anywhere anyway.

Granted I don't have a lot of people to move about, nowhere that I really have to go often and usually not far to go when I do go out. For me and I am sure for lots of others, paying a pile of money for an over priced used car, plus insurance, plus repairs, plus marbetes, plus revistas may not, in the end, be the best reasoned choice.

Here's my plan. I am going to establish a relationship with a largish established local rental company. I'm going to give them a copy of my passport, cedula and driver license. I'm going to sell them on the idea that all I want to do is call them, they fill out all the paperwork, they drive down the street to pick me up, I go in, pay and leave. A little more expensive than the local guy on the street corner with a sign in the window of a vehicle advertising its availability, but a better quality vehicle, in better condition with everything working. A much better option for those long haul trips to SD, Punta Cana etc where comfort and piece of mind is a consideration.

I'm going to set up the same arrangement with a local Gringo or Dominican rental guy. A little cheaper, a vehicle that is a little older and rougher around the edges but ok for those semi local trips of an hour or two in duration.

The advantages as I see them, no ongoing insurance payments (apart from those during the rental period), no sticker renewals, no repairs and no large upfront outlay of cash. If it breaks I make a call and get picked up in another car. No hassles.

We know the costs of buying a car here are insane for what you get. Sure one can find a deal from time to time but you really have to look and be patient. Most of us come from a place where car ownership is seen as mandatory and we bring this line of thinking with us to the DR. True some of us do live in an area where a vehicle is a requirement because of distance or the need to travel somewhere everyday. But that's not everyone's situation and it certainly isn't mine.

If I want a Porsche for a fun trip to Las Terrenas with the wife, a pickup truck move stuff about or a SUV for a trip to Monkey Jungle after a deluge, I just want to make a phone call.

I looked at a 2001 Suzuki and they wanted $5000 in the window. I couldn't stop laughing. At home, maybe $1000 - it's a 15 year old throw away car! Here even with a master negotiator undoubtedly to buy will be more than $2K and probably more than $3K and will come complete with all the headaches of a 15 year old car at no extra cost. A 2011 something was $20K. When I do the math, I can rent vehicles worry free for years before spending that much money.

Anything I buy today would probably need to be replaced by the time I spent the equivalent amount in vehicle rental charges. So for me, no car parked in my driveway rusting away. It'll be parked 10 minutes down the road where the rust and all the hassles and costs of vehicle ownership are someone's problem.

The increased costs of living on an island are very real. The costs of vehicles on this island is pretty insane as are the costs of a lot of other things. As always, those with dollars falling out of their pockets are free to spend them however they wish, no argument. For me, owning any vehicle (that is not a gift or a repatriation steal) in my mind is just throwing money away for the sake of purchasing on going expenses and headaches. Now, if I can find an armored personnel carrier with a machine gun turret, I just might decide to purchase one of those solely for its practicality on the roads here.

Anyone want to gift me car? :rolleyes:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Armored , turret machine gun..... my neighbor in the US had one.... John DuPont
Yes, that John DuPont... currently in jail for killing the wrestler

I support the rental route.
Very common in NYC and other big cities these days... ride shares, etc.

Cars here can be a headache.
my Jeep Wrangler is 10 yrs old - I have never had a 10 yr old car in my life.

When the water pump failed y'day.... I am flummoxed.....
I have never waded into this type of repair.

I need a car - 2 actually- because of where I am.

In your case, I would rent.... get the equivalent of the frequent flyer program from them.

Good luck

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Your best bet for a water pump is get a hold of a dealer or jobber in Florida. Have your vin handy. Order from them and have it shipped here. I would get hoses, a thermostat and the gaskets you need as well.
This way it will fit and they could have it within a couple days.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I don't know. My car parts buying experience is on the east coast. Even Higuey doesn't seem to have anything. Good luck.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I agree rental is the way for you to go.

As to parts; most parts here are aftermarket knockoffs and many times of poor quality. You are better off ordering parts from the US or Canada and have them shipped here. I have learned this lesson the hard way and after replacing replacement (local parts) multiple times I only get parts from the US. I even bring in my own brake pads (last twice as long).

I too have never owned a car more than three years old. Here we have a 10 year old Toyota (bought new here) and a 19 year old Jeep Wrangler bought here a few years ago from an expat who bought it new and brought it here with him. We have been very happy with both vehicles.

Bob K

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Having a car is obviously a personal choice, we all have different reasons. I could never imagine living in the DR without a car.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What's the definition of a "jobber"?

They may not exist any more.
At one point they were a level in the auto parts distribution chain...

Sort of from a warehouse to a distributor to a jobber to a mechanic..... in between the large and small

The chain is shorter now in many countries

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
If one of us or a neighbor is seriously ill I want to be able to drive to the hospital asap so a car is a absolute need for us. To break up our daily routine, the freedom to spur of the moment set off on a day trip to discover a new hidden gem of a place is one of the joys of living here. From neighbors who rent cars we have heard of too many stories of being stranded with a poorly maintained vehicle. From a selfish practical standpoint, I have never aspired to schlep groceries on the back of a moto while acquiring a Dominican tattoo, not my idea of a good lifestyle choice.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I spent the first year or so here without a car, but going on the bus to the supermarket for the weekly shop, then motoconcho to the supermarket and back again laden with bags was a pain, however much the moto drivers and bus conductors helped with all the shopping. I also love visiting friends and places and although I will take public transport where it makes sense, often a car is needed. For transporting animals to the vets, for taking people to hospital - again a car is needed. I think it also depends where you live. When I live now there are no motoconchos, one bus an hour which is usually full so you have to wait around 3 hours and the nearest shop is 30 minutes walk away. My current car, a 30 year old Jeep Wrangler, is in hospital and has been for a while so I am walking everywhere. It isn't the end of the world but I am looking for the Jeep to recover.
Marbetes, revistas, insurance are nothing like as expensive as in the UK - although petrol is.

Matilda