Alquilation what is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROJOBRAVO

Nov 12, 2015
I have a farm worker i pay 6000 pesos a month, i understand i owe him double
for the month of december as a courtesy for christmas which makes 12,000 pesos,
then he says i owe him 14,000 more pesos for alquilation what is that? Is this a scam, or is it true,
please help me

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
To start with, you have obviously treated these people too well for them to be making demands. Tell this muerto de hambre to go to hell.

I have no idea what alguilation is ? liquidaci?n is the severance that you have to pay when you get rid of them and one of the main reasons that respectable multinationals no longer touch the rd

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I have a farm worker i pay 6000 pesos a month, i understand i owe him double
for the month of december as a courtesy for christmas which makes 12,000 pesos,
then he says i owe him 14,000 more pesos for alquilation what is that? Is this a scam, or is it true,
please help me

I am sure rfp is correct and he is talking about liquidation. If you are not getting rid of him and he is trying to screw you over fire him and pay him his liquidation. There is a web site where you can input the necessary information, time employed and how much you pay him, to figure out the liquidation amount.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
First of all, is that worker working with you for a year? If yes then he gets the double salary for christmas but if not you do not need to give him 100%. You can check the website of TSS or the official website of ministerio de trabaja to calculate how much you owe him if and when you are going to fire him

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Is this a scam, or is it true,
please help me

Feliz Navidad! Tis the season for scams.

As others have stated, you only owe him double if he has worked the entire year for you. If not, you owe him x/12(RD$6000), 'x' being the number of months he has worked for you.

You don't owe him liquidation unless he is quitting, or you are firing him.

Here is a link to the calculator others are talking about.

If you get him this extra money, you will have failed the Stupid Gringo test and you will have a fren' for life.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
If he is quitting don't believe you owe him liquidation, as it's his choice to leave.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is best the OP do the leg work with the labor people before the worker does his.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You don't need to pay liquidacion. Some employers choose to pay it yearly , so when a workers needs to get fired you calculate what liquidation pay you would need to pay him and deduct the amounts you already paid over the years (need to document that well and it's kind of outside the law, but the labor ministry will accept it since it's in the interest of the employee to have a chance to extra money yearly.

You're not obliged to do that, only if you want, personally I wouldn't do it. Also, it's good to find out if farm workers are entitled to any liquidacion, trabajadores in your house for example aren't.

You DO have to pay vacations yearly, or give them the free days. When an employee leaves you do have to pay the portion of the Christmas salary and vacation days that he 'collected'.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When we fired the 'farm worker' that we had last August, we went to the Labor Dept with him to calculate liquidation. The woman we met with said that because we do not sell anything grown on our property that he was not entitled to any liquidation, only the prorated vacation and Christmas pay. He raised a huge fuss, but the woman would not back down. He refused to accept the liquidation and sign the document she prepared. We offered him more money, and he still said no, because 'someone' told him we probably owed him 80,000 pesos or more. The labor lady was angry that we offered him anything more than she said, and we all ended up just leaving.

A few days later someone got it through his head to take what we were offering because it was a lot more than Labor said we had to pay. We paid him, he signed the document, and that was the end of the matter.

To the OP, be sure that you get a signature if you choose to liquidate annually.

PS. Just to clarify, because we use whatever we grow ourselves, or give it away, he was considered a domestic worker. If we sold anything at all, we would have owed him full liquidation.

Last edited:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Just to clarify, because we use whatever we grow ourselves, or give it away, he was considered a domestic worker. If we sold anything at all, we would have owed him full liquidation.

Does this mean a domestic worker is not entitled to liquidation?

KITTU

May 13, 2015
If he is quitting don't believe you owe him liquidation, as it's his choice to leave.

You still have to pay him liquidation even if he choses to quit. Only untill he doesn't show up to work for 3 days. Then you do not need to pay him anything if you prove that he has abandoned his job.Three consecutive days you have to send a letter to the nearby labor ministry office to report that a certain worker is not coming to work.
Anyways i do not know if these laws apply to farm workers. But overall, do not fall for the scam. One thing you must remember, workers like yours who are demanding, can be a poison and will spread it to all the others.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I've found that using this website, and printing the document for them to sign helps. I think they think that it is official.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
A farm worker being paid 6000 pesos a MONTH......no wonder he's trying to negotiate a few extra bones

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
not exactly. a worker who quits is still entitled to proportion of vacation and proportion of xmas pay.

True but that is not considered as liquidation perse, that is benefits earned. have seen this done in Codetel we had people quit and it was up to management if they wanted to go ahead and pay liquidation or not.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
True but that is not considered as liquidation perse, that is benefits earned. have seen this done in Codetel we had people quit and it was up to management if they wanted to go ahead and pay liquidation or not.

not liquidation, in this case, cesantia part.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think that a lot of you people need to go to the labour office and let them work out the amount and whether the man is liable for his severence pay . To pay a farm worker 6000 pesos a month, prima facie seems cruel and is below the minimum wage that the Government has stipulated .. I do not think farm workers are exempt from receiving a minimum wage. If you are talking about severance pay the rule used to be that this was payable by the employer no matter who gives notice . The only thing that used to nullify the termination pay was a criminal act..and that was hard to prove.
I do not go along with the view that employees are always tring to screw the employers.. Iam certain it is the other way around and it is the reason that the poor can not improve their lives in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.