Shipping items from Colorado to Cabarete/Sousa

jh1002

Dec 16, 2015
Hi- I have tried to research older posts to gleen the information I am looking for, but apparently I am not as clever as I think I am. I'm still confused! So I am going to ask very specifically what I need to know.
My sister is living in the Cabarete area. I need to send some things to her. I need to know the "best" method. As in cheapest, safest and fastest.
1) I will have a box of mixed items. Medicine, clothing, small used (not new) MP3 player, small non perishable food items, etc.

2) large box with a mattress topper and bed pillows.

Could someone please give me detailed information as to how I make this happen!

Thank you!!!:p

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I would contact CPS in Sosua for these items. They are about the cheapest in the area and do a good job. We ship with them all the time.

Bob K

jh1002

Dec 16, 2015
Bob, I am wanting to ship from Colorado to the DR, what does CPS stand for? How do I find them stateside?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Bob, I am wanting to ship from Colorado to the DR, what does CPS stand for? How do I find them stateside?

you have to ship your goods to a dom shipper... in heavy dom areas they have consolidaters gather 2000 boxes and ship as one...u either have to ship to one of these or send it via local shipping co..

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Have you sister set up an account with CPS in Sosua (see above contact info) they are on the main road just before you come into town. They will give here an account and a shipping address in Miami. You send the packages there and then they will get them to her here.

Bob K

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
CPS, EPS, and encargoPAQ or shipping forwarders. They are small time shippers, like UPS/Fed Ex who deal specifically with the Dominican Republic and import/export of goods. Remember, you are mailing things to another country. Customs and import taxes are a consideration.

These companies have warehouses in Miami. Your sister needs to set up an account with one of them. Once she has done that, she will get an address specific to her account. She will then give you that address, in Miami, and you will ship what you want via a US carrier (USPS, FedEx, DHL) to that Miami address. The 'company', then puts those packages on a plane or ship and sends them to the Dominican Republic. They go through Dominican customs and an import fee, if applicable, is assigned. The company will then notify your sister that the package is ready for pick up. She can go to the business, pay the fee for shipping and any taxes, and pick up the package.

I use encargoPAQ. Here are the links to the shippers.

EncargoPAQ It is $3.80 a pound, via air. It'll take about a week to get from Miami to their office in Sosua. It is about half the cost if it goes by ship, but takes 2-3 weeks to get there. Your sister can log into her account at encargopaq.com and select air or ship. She can also choose to have all packages over a certain weight be shipped via ship and not by air.

CPS I have never used CPS, but they do come recommended.

EPS I used EPS once, they were expensive.

Now, as far as the taxes. Anything over $200 will be taxed. A lot. Do not send anything that has a value over $200 unless you are prepared to spend up to 50% of the value on import taxes. The $200 value includes the cost of shipping also. As an example, if you order a tablet off of Amazon that is $199 with free shipping to Miami, you are fine. No taxes. If that same tablet costs $5 to to ship to Miami, then it will be valued at $204, and you will have to pay ~$80-$100 in import taxes.

Also, you need to have a shipping label on each package including all of the items in the package, and their cost. This needs to be taped to the outside of the package.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When I first saw this post, I immediately thought of Bob K who came here from CO a few years ago..
The couriers mentioned are all top rate. The process is easy and painless and MUCH cheaper than trying to ship anything to the DR
via FedEx or DHL....
Just follow the guidelines laid out for you in the previous posts and you will be fine,

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since the OP is in Colorado, it is not as easy for him to ship a barrel with the items in it from a Mudanza located in New York or Miami. That would be the cheapest way to do it, but Colorado does not make that option as attractive.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Since the OP is in Colorado, it is not as easy for him to ship a barrel with the items in it from a Mudanza located in New York or Miami. That would be the cheapest way to do it, but Colorado does not make that option as attractive.

I was going to suggest he ship the stuff to one of the mundanzas, but he specified "fast" in the OP, and they all ship via boat, which can take 4-6 weeks.

jh1002

Dec 16, 2015
Then let us know how many hundreds of dollars it finally ends up costing!!!
Don't do it!!!!
We have all those things here!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon - Some of the things are personal and very specific, such as prescriptions. Additionally my sister is housebound needing a wheel chair 98% of the time. Her Husband is not Dominican. I have been told some of the things she needs she has been unable to locate, such as quality bed pillows and a mattress topper. Most things they have found, the quality seems to be highly questionable. Neither my sister or her husband are saavy travelers, this process has them struggling both financial and logistacally. they have no transportation, nor do they know where to go. So thank you for your concern, I am going to edit as much as possible but in the end Life should not have to be such a struggle. Happy Holidays.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The mudanza will pack the barrel... but the shipping time may be too slow.

My $125 trimmer cost more than that to ship..via the MIA route.

Only lighter things are what I send now..... DVD's etc.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I got decent pillows at La Sirena. Since your sister is housebound you might look online at Ikea. There is one in Santo Domingo and they deliver to your house. I think they deliver to the North Coast at least once per week.
There may be a minimum for free delivery but sometimes you can find people who want to combine to meet the minimum by posting here or FB. Ikea would have the pillows and mattress topper.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hear you on the quality pillows. They do not seem to exist here (including La Sirena) for me.

If you are shipping meds, be careful there are not any controlled substances. Are the meds also not available in the DR?

I sounds like your sister and her husband are not in a good place for them.