Worldbank approves $120M Loan To Fix DR Electric Problem

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
The good news came in but hope this will keep the promise and end the rolling backouts in DR. it says it will help 1M dominicans to get 24/7 electric.

Press release from Worldbank:

WASHINGTON, December 15, 2015 ? Today, the World Bank Board of Directors approved US$120 million to support the Dominican Republic?s efforts in improving the financial performance of the three electricity distribution companies (EDEs) in selected circuits and increasing electricity access in the targeted communities.

"This funding supports two cornerstones of the strategic plan of the Dominican Corporation of State Electricity Companies which aim to reduce losses and improve the efficiency of the distribution companies," said Ruben Jimenez Bichara, Vice President of the Dominican Corporation of State Electricity Companies (CDEEE). "These resources will help find a holistic solution to the country?s electricity problems?.

The energy sector is critical for growth in the DR and access to electricity is considered the biggest obstacle to doing business in the country. Despite many reforms, the DR has one of the most widespread rolling blackouts in the region due to ineffective metering, billing and collecting system. More than half of the clients of the three regional distribution companies (EDEs) pay a fix amount as they are not metered, and the power sector deficit has grown from US$700 million in 2010 to US$1.3 billion in 2014, about 2 percent of GDP.

?By increasing access to reliable electricity in poor communities, this project not only aims to improve the quality of life in poor neighborhoods, but also address a key bottleneck to boost inclusive growth in the country,? said Sophie Sirtaine, World Bank Country Director for the Caribbean. ?This funding will allow scaling up a successful project which already benefited more than 100,000 Dominicans in the metropolitan area of Santo Domingo?.

This project is aligned with the National Comprehensive Plan for the Electric Power Sector and the electricity pact which is being negotiated to provide all Dominicans with reliable, competitive and sustainable electricity services within the next 15 years.

Specifically, the Distribution Grid Modernization and Loss Reduction project will:

Rehabilitate 1,003 km of distribution networks and upgrade electrical interconnection of more than 120,000 customers in priority areas;
Reduce commercial losses by installing more than 138,000 remote meters and converting over 73,000 illegal users into regular clients;
Increase the number of hours of electricity supply to 24h service to all clients in all intervened circuits.
The project will be implemented by the CDEEE and will benefit over one million Dominicans mainly located in the districts of Santo Domingo, San Crist?bal, Santiago, La Vega, Puerto Plata, and San Francisco de Macoris. It will be financed under a US$120 million loan over five years with a 20 year maturity period and a grace period of 4 years. This will be complemented by additional financing from the Inter-American Development Bank, the OPEC Fund for International Development and the European Investment Bank.

URL: http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/pr...-dominicans-receive-more-reliable-electricity

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yet still no financing announced for the two coal-fired generators that are supposed to go on-line next year..

Those numbers for upgrades, and connections and metered service seem too small...in many barrios when the meters go up,
the rocks start to fly. The incredible lack of civic pride is brought forth. Their cry is that the "poor do not have to pay" for anything!

Oh well, someone will get a new SUV or better out of this. Perhaps finance a child's education in Europe or the states...

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the bond issue comes just in time to finance the reelection campaign of the PLD. 20 years from now, the electricity delivery will be no better then it was 20 years ago.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
the bond issue comes just in time to finance the reelection campaign of the PLD. 20 years from now, the electricity delivery will be no better then it was 20 years ago.

Electricity issues need to be improved but just loaning money to the government to do it is like throwing the money away... Only the guys in dumb think tanks and such will think all these upgrade plans will work without outside intervention and monitoring. These plans look good on paper to the world bureaucrats and public but the actual implementation and on-going maintenance is never adequate.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Electricity issues need to be improved but just loaning money to the government to do it is like throwing the money away... Only the guys in dumb think tanks and such will think all these upgrade plans will work without outside intervention and monitoring. These plans look good on paper to the world bureaucrats and public but the actual implementation and on-going maintenance is never adequate.

my first trip to the DR was 1989. back then, they said that there would be 24 hour electricity in the DR in 10 years.

i don?t see it.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I was a bit excited when I heard four years back when a Nuclear plant was being considered. I was excited because that meant outside investment and professionals would install and operate the plant and grid. However, the focus shifted via US money to banking and information projects (new world order stuff) and not the real needs of industry and commerce. Hot potato issues like Nuclear would have side tracked the new president's reform agenda. This money for patching electrical problems given to an already corrupt and mismanaged organization is unlikely to fix the 24/7 electrical problem or raise a substantial amount of money to fund the electrical companies as any extra money will be ****ed away and there isn't that much more to be gained anyways. Meters is the answer to stop people from steeling electricity? Really?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was a bit excited when I heard four years back when a Nuclear plant was being considered. I was excited because that meant outside investment and professionals would install and operate the plant and grid. However, the focus shifted via US money to banking and information projects (new world order stuff) and not the real needs of industry and commerce. Hot potato issues like Nuclear would have side tracked the new president's reform agenda. This money for patching electrical problems given to an already corrupt and mismanaged organization is unlikely to fix the 24/7 electrical problem or raise a substantial amount of money to fund the electrical companies as any extra money will be ****ed away and there isn't that much more to be gained anyways. Meters is the answer to stop people from steeling electricity? Really?

i cannot imagine what would happen to the island, and maybe the entire region, if there was to be a nuclear accident in the DR. nuclear would never be allowed to come here. the US has too much stake in Puerto Rico.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Not sure how an infusion of World Bank funds can get people who have stolen electricity for generations learn to actually pay instead of steal.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i cannot imagine what would happen to the island, and maybe the entire region, if there was to be a nuclear accident in the DR. nuclear would never be allowed to come here. the US has too much stake in Puerto Rico.

Unless the prevailing trade winds were to suddenly shift, PR would not be threatened by a nuclear accident in the DR.

As for the money to fix the problem discussed in the OP, I doubt anything will come of it to help end the blackouts.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
??The project will be implemented by the CDEEE and will benefit over one million Dominicans mainly located in the districts of Santo Domingo, San Crist?bal, Santiago, La Vega, Puerto Plata, and San Francisco de Macoris.??

So the rest of the country is just sh*t out of luck?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
??The project will be implemented by the CDEEE and will benefit over one million Dominicans mainly located in the districts of Santo Domingo, San Crist?bal, Santiago, La Vega, Puerto Plata, and San Francisco de Macoris.??

So the rest of the country is just sh*t out of luck?

Not to worry, the entire country will still be SOL with regard to electricity.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Nobody has the balls to actually make people pay for electricity.

I can see Maribel taking over the administration of the loan. She did such a good job in the Colonial Zone im shure she can do the same with this loan.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The Dominican politicians and business owners who will get their hands on this money are already salivating at what that money will buy them.

My first trip to the DR was 1989. back then, they said that there would be 24 hour electricity in the DR in 10 years.

Is this the same guy who told us Dominican school kids will be able to bypass a regular education and lead the way towards a new schooling movement with laptop computers that never materialized?

Or how we are going to be able to drive through some woebegone campo and buy a mango and a couple of yuccas from the humble fruit and vegetable stall owner with a debit card?

I had no idea you knew PICHARDO for that long.:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Electricity issues need to be improved but just loaning money to the government to do it is like throwing the money away... Only the guys in dumb think tanks and such will think all these upgrade plans will work without outside intervention and monitoring.
I know everyone here is cynical about this, and I am too, but surely the World Bank isn't stupid enough to hand over the cash without some degree of intervention and monitoring. Or maybe they are that stupid?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know everyone here is cynical about this, and I am too, but surely the World Bank isn't stupid enough to hand over the cash without some degree of intervention and monitoring. Or maybe they are that stupid?

when the IMF loans money, they have some strict rules about how your monetary and fiscal regimen functions going forward. the World Bank has far more relaxed regulations and oversight regarding its use, which is why so much WB money has been wasted over the decades.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

All they care about are the interest rates being charged. They could care less if the work actually gets done and maintained to benefit Dominican society.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
What is the point to improve the electricity supply to the poor communities? Maybe they can improve it at least for the rich communities that pay for it? Or, once again, it's about VOTES?