Hello From Jacksonville

littlebhuddha

Dec 17, 2015
I've been lurking for a few months but now it's time to join the community. I have been to the DR once, last
September. I am going back for three weeks over the holidays. I am currently engaged to a lady from Santo
Domingo. We are planning a June wedding and I am planning to move to Santo Domingo permanently in
January of 2017. I'm too young to retire completely so I will probably start some sort of small business
(suggestions welcomed). I am not especially enamored of Santo Domingo. Seems crime is a big problem
(any thoughts, comments or suggestions welcomed). I plan on visiting the north shore over the holidays. My
fianc?'s family has some farm land in San Juan. Anybody know anything about the San Juan area? I grow up ona ranch in Montana so I wouldn't mind getting back to my roots. One last question. Anybody have any recommendations on reputable places to buy amber and larimar jewelry? Thanks. Jim

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My fianc?'s family has some farm land in San Juan. Anybody know anything about the San Juan area? I grow up ona ranch in Montana so I wouldn't mind getting back to my roots. One last question. Anybody have any recommendations on reputable places to buy amber and larimar jewelry? Thanks. Jim

Welcome to DR1.

I spent some time in the area of Padres Las Casas which is quite close to San Juan and it is indeed lovely countryside in those parts and much quieter and seemingly more secure than the center of the country. Can't offer any advice on the San Juan valley beyond San Juan yet though.

For Larimar, I would recommend a visit to the Larimar museum in Baoruco south of Barahona and visit some of the small workshops in the area to see the artisans at work. You can also go and visit the small workings where they mine the Larimar in the hills nearby. Unfortunately it is at the opposite end of the country to the North Coast and where you will find your best Amber outlets, so a plan for the future.

littlebhuddha

Dec 17, 2015
Good Idea

Since you are a farmer already, maybe try out aquaponics here in the DR? There is at least one guy doing it that I am aware of.

Not a bad idea. I have some experience with hydroponics from my college days+:D
But seriously it is a good idea. I am going to do some research on it. Should be pretty easy to put together. Thaks

littlebhuddha

Dec 17, 2015
Thanks for the welcomes and the information. I look forward to contributing once I have something to contribute. Til then probably just a bunch more questions.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I've been lurking for a few months but now it's time to join the community. I have been to the DR once, last
September. I am going back for three weeks over the holidays. I am currently engaged to a lady from Santo
Domingo. We are planning a June wedding and I am planning to move to Santo Domingo permanently in
January of 2017. I'm too young to retire completely so I will probably start some sort of small business
(suggestions welcomed). I am not especially enamored of Santo Domingo. Seems crime is a big problem
(any thoughts, comments or suggestions welcomed). I plan on visiting the north shore over the holidays. My
fianc?'s family has some farm land in San Juan. Anybody know anything about the San Juan area? I grow up ona ranch in Montana so I wouldn't mind getting back to my roots. One last question. Anybody have any recommendations on reputable places to buy amber and larimar jewelry? Thanks. Jim

Ok, not trying to be disrespectful , but you went to the DR once and you are engaged to a lady there? Were on line chatting for a long time prior to this face to face. Just saying. I hope you know what you are getting yourself into. Do you have any Spanish skills? Opening up a successful business is tricky for a Gringo. Also, you know that you will need to apply for residency. This process starts in your home country. You will need to get certain documents together, translated into Spanish and approved by a Dominican Consulate in the US before bringing these to the DR to complete the process. This includes a criminal background check with digitial fingerprints by your state police. Once you bring these to the DR you will need to hire an attorney to complete the process. Good luck.

littlebhuddha

Dec 17, 2015
Ok, not trying to be disrespectful , but you went to the DR once and you are engaged to a lady there? Were on line chatting for a long time prior to this face to face. Just saying. I hope you know what you are getting yourself into. Do you have any Spanish skills? Opening up a successful business is tricky for a Gringo. Also, you know that you will need to apply for residency. This process starts in your home country. You will need to get certain documents together, translated into Spanish and approved by a Dominican Consulate in the US before bringing these to the DR to complete the process. This includes a criminal background check with digitial fingerprints by your state police. Once you bring these to the DR you will need to hire an attorney to complete the process. Good luck.
Yes we have been chatting since sometime in March. I spent 10 days with her in September and will be there for three weeks over the holidays. the wedding is planned for June so if things aren't right I still have to back out.I do speak Spanish. I was married to a Colombian for 12 years. As for knowing what I am doing, why start now?:D Thanks to this website, I have been able to figure out what needs to be done to get residency. As with almost everything in the DR, it isn't a cake walk. But I have time. Thanks for the response. I appreciate the info.