online English lesson

May 29, 2006
This just happened chatting online with mi esposa. She wanted to learn body parts in English..

Como se dice pelo?
>Hair

Boca?
>Mouth

Dados?
>Fingers

Brazos?
>Arms

Nar?z?
>Nose

>>long pause<<

Nose nar?z?
>Si.

Es la parte de la cara arriba de la boca.
>Si nar?z. Nose.

?Que?
===

This took a couple minutes to figure out!!!

May 29, 2006
Dedos, dados.. her spelling is way worse than mine.. I often have guess a letter or two to run it through the online dictionary.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Dedos, dados.. her spelling is way worse than mine.. I often have guess a letter or two to run it through the online dictionary.
DAdo instead of DEdo....That's the kind of errors a native speaker never makes (unless an accidental typo, but probably not, since the E and the A are not that close in the keyboard). More than likely, you made the error while transcribing the conversation....easy for an English-speaker to make since the Spanish E actually sounds similar to the English A (as in ape, make, etc).

OTOH, she could have quite likely dropped the final S for plural, or even drop the second D...3 dedos may become 3 deo.

BTW, dropping a final S and the D in words ending in ADO, EDO, IDO is NOT a Dominican thing...it is widespread...the S thing comes from Southern Spain, and the D thing perhaps from the whole Spain.

May 29, 2006
The accent/ellipsis is a WHOLE nother thread...

For example:
?Que Ma? = ?Quieres mas?

But she's damn sweet.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Took me a while to figure that a koba was a broom!

Also I never understood why the man at the beach kept asking me if I wanted to try a Yaykee. Eventually the penny dropped and translated it to Jet Ski!

I now get complemented on how well I speak Spanish, but I reply and say I speak Dominican, not Spanish. I equate learning Spanish in the DR to like learning English in Glasgow!

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
The accent/ellipsis is a WHOLE nother thread...

For example:
?Que Ma? = ?Quieres mas?

But she's damn sweet.

No. ?Que Ma? probably equals ?Qu? M?s? which means, "what else?".

It is related to what you thought, but she is just dropping one final S (and maybe not putting the accent marks). Those are definitely expected things.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Took me a while to figure that a koba was a broom!

Also I never understood why the man at the beach kept asking me if I wanted to try a Yaykee. Eventually the penny dropped and translated it to Jet Ski!

I now get complemented on how well I speak Spanish, but I reply and say I speak Dominican, not Spanish. I equate learning Spanish in the DR to like learning English in Glasgow!

You probably hear Ecoba= EScoba...again a missing S.

Jet Ski is obviously a foreign term (not sure what the official Spanish translation is, if there is one).

Again, do not assume that the nonstandard Spanish you hear is necessarily Dominican. Read what I wrote above about how widespread dropping the S is in the Spanish-speaking world...it goes all the way to SPAIN proper.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You probably hear Ecoba= EScoba...again a missing S.

Jet Ski is obviously a foreign term (not sure what the official Spanish translation is, if there is one).

Again, do not assume that the nonstandard Spanish you hear is necessarily Dominican. Read what I wrote above about how widespread dropping the S is in the Spanish-speaking world...it goes all the way to SPAIN proper.

I can't underthand the lithping Thpaniards either!

The nicest Spanish I've heard is in Ecuador and Columbia, it sounds melodic.

Jul 28, 2014

I found the lisping aspect is more in the Madrid area, Spain has many dialects and words can vary or be substituted based on that...

May 29, 2006
No. ?Que Ma? probably equals ?Qu? M?s? which means, "what else?".

It is related to what you thought, but she is just dropping one final S (and maybe not putting the accent marks). Those are definitely expected things.

ah that makes sense, she said quieres mas? when I asked again. I often heae " alguin mas" when shopping.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The guy who provides my internet tells me the easiest way to communicate with him is on ekippy.

Matilda

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
ah that makes sense, she said quieres mas? when I asked again. I often heae " alguin mas" when shopping.

When shopping you probably hear ?algo m?s? meaning "something else?" (that is, do you want something else or are you done?)
You may also hear ?Qu? m?s? (what else?) although this sounds a bit less formal.

?alguien m?s? would mean "anybody else?" (for example a Taxi waiting for your group, after the first two get in, may ask that, in order to know whether he should keep waiting for others).

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I often say that I hope that this is the last time I have to learn Spanish! So much different than in Colombia or Panama. Does remind me of how the Marielitos from Cuba spoke. Driving past the Community Hospital in Florida I was asked by the three Cubanos with me why is there a Communist hospital here?

In the big scheme of things Spanish is relatively constant across the world, at least for native speakers. Colombian Spanish (specially from the coast as opposed to the inner mountainous regions) should sound very similar to Dominican and Panamanian (and Venezuelna, and Cuban and Puerto Rican) Spanish.

There are indeed differences (mostly vocabulary for specific items, or street slang) but the general pronunciation patterns should be virtually indistinguishable.

OTOH, Spanish from the region around the Argentine capital (including much of Uruguay) sounds similar to Italian (for good historical reasons), yet it is perfectly understandable to most native Spanish speakers (any of us can easily understand an interview of sport stars Leo Messi or Maradonna, for example, or a speech given by an Argentinian politician).

Native Spanish speakers (especially but not exclusively educated ones) can easily communicate with each other (regardless of their region) as well as watch each other's TV programs, listen to each other's singers, etc. Occasionally one has to clarify the meaning of a specific word or expression, (or it just sounds "funny") but it is rare that one has difficulties to communicate with any other native Spanish speaker. OTOH anyone who has learned a foreign language knows that regional accents can easily "throw off" even people with decent non-native proficiency.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Whoops, I made the same mistake as the Miss Universe presenter! It's Colombia, not Columbia!

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

The letter C in front of i/e and the letter Z in front of a/o/u are pronounced similar to the English TH (in "thing") around Madrid and much (but not all) of Spain. The benefit is that they never make the spelling error of writing an S where a C/Z should go.

They also once pronounced V/B differently (and similar to English) but now rarely anyone does (the normal pronunciation now is somewhat between the English B & V).

There is a significant difference between Colombian coastal and mountain Spanish...coastal Spanish should sound very similar to Dominican Spanish (with occasional vocabulary differences), which is based on Southern Spain Spanish.