Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice Needed for Reliable Internet Service

Hello, I had a three week trip cut short earlier this year because I could not get reliable internet service.

For full disclosure, I was staying in a budget hotel in Gazcue area, SD.

With that said, can I get some advice on how to book a place with reliable internet?

Should I look for Air bnb deals where people rent out their apartments? If so, should I ask the renter who their provider is?

I really need to count on stable internet for work. Not just internet for facebooking, but for full scale browsing on alaptop. I lived in the Philippines for two years, and my service was reliable. If the Philippines can do it, then so can DR...I would hope...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robalec View Post
    Hello, I had a three week trip cut short earlier this year because I could not get reliable internet service.

For full disclosure, I was staying in a budget hotel in Gazcue area, SD.

With that said, can I get some advice on how to book a place with reliable internet?

Should I look for Air bnb deals where people rent out their apartments? If so, should I ask the renter who their provider is?

I really need to count on stable internet for work. Not just internet for facebooking, but for full scale browsing on alaptop. I lived in the Philippines for two years, and my service was reliable. If the Philippines can do it, then so can DR...I would hope...
    they build Mitsubishi vehicles in the Philipines. so, think again about the idea that if the Philipines can provide decent internet, the DR should be able to.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still trying to stay optimistic

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robalec View Post
    I'm still trying to stay optimistic
    optimism is good. however, i would not be optimistic about internet in the DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    optimism is good. however, i would not be optimistic about internet in the DR.
    I have no idea why you couldn't be. Internet through a mobile phone seems to work quite well and it is moderately expensive, provided of course you are in a place where there is good mobile signal, which generally is the case in Santo Domingo, most major cities and near main highways.

The function in your phone that allows you to "share" the phone's own data service with other devices you own is called "tethering". Most modern phones provide that feature.

Of course you want a prepaid local SIM card (nearly costless, you just pay for usage). Read the final messages of this thread for a relevant discussion. To summarize, for US$25 you'd get 3GB of pre-paid data and can use it over a month (can reload if need be, and there are other plans).
    As for wifi provided by hotels and apartment, it varies widely from place to place, and even from room to room. Sadly this is a world-wide problem.

6. Likes robalec, Garyexpat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are places with reliable Internet but its near impossible to know the details before booking. If you can get your host to publish a speedtest report, that could solve the problem I suppose. Or have a plan B, and plan C, for when your plan A turns out to have crappy Internet. Or just use the 3G on your mobile phone if thats enough for your bandwidth needs.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Iīve been dealing with this same issue, also for professional purposes.

I have not found a very satisfactory solution, but I have mobile internet from both, Orange and Claro, and mostly Claro does offer more reliable connection where ever you are in the country.

We have stayed three times in a budget hotel near Zona Colonial, and had slight issues with Claro as well, but it was sufficient for that short time.

Just to comment on mobile internet availability in the country, I have very strongly found out, that good reception does not always exist in logical places. That is to say, that a crowded place or shopping center is not a guarantee of good signal, at least from what I have seen. There are odd places where you can get 4-5 Mbps connection easily, and there are central places where you spend 5 minutes just loading Google Mail. I suppose this is one of the many illogical things of the DR...

As for the pricing information Virgo referred to above, just to point out, that better to pay good attention to the pricing scheme of Claro. They actually punish you for paying more. Supposing that any professional use of internet consumes at least 200-300 Mb of data daily, better to choose a small package, which costs only a fraction of a bigger Gb/time package, while the data amount does not drop in the same ratio.

9. Likes robalec liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience in the DR, I have never had reliable internet service. Some better than others but nothing close to a US or first world service. I understand Japan has super fast internet. Is that true?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

3GB of prepaid data is not enough. I develop web applications. I need lots of data. And, I work on a laptop, not a phone.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Were you able to tether mobile internet from Claro to your laptop?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast