A new mosquito virus threat - Preparing for Zika

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Preparing for Zika

The Ministry of Public Health has issued a general alert about the imminent arrival of the zika virus in the country.

The alert was announced by Public Health Minister Altagracia Guzman Marcelino, with National Health Service director Ramon Alvarado, deputy minister of Collective Health Nelson Rodriguez Monegro, director of Epidemiology Raquel Pimentel and a representative of the Pan American Health Organization.

The zika virus is transmitted by the same mosquito that carries dengue and chikungunya and needs the same conditions to breed.

Guzman Marcelino called on Dominicans to take preventive measures and eliminate all areas with standing water where the insects can breed. She also said the authorities would be making arrangements for training health personnel and ensuring reinforcements were available for hospitals when the virus arrived in the country.

The zika virus has symptoms similar to dengue and chikungunya, such as fever, strong headaches, muscle pain, vomiting and a general feeling of malaise. The difference with zika is that victims also suffer from conjunctivitis and a skin rash.

Source: DR1, Lisitndiario

Dec 15, 2015

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
They will set the tigres selling sand in bags for clorine on the streets that will fix everything. If you live in a home with air conditioning in every room and screens on all windows with maids swating everything that flies. I think you will not catch anything air born!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I had chikungunya for about 18 moths including all imaginable pains and I had Denque type 1 this year ..I wonder if I have some sort of immunity against Zika..it is coming at a different time of the year. I suppose that if it is the same mosquito ,it thrives in clean water lying around rather than the dirty swampy water one always assumes is the problem

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I had chikungunya for about 18 moths including all imaginable pains and I had Denque type 1 this year ..I wonder if I have some sort of immunity against Zika..it is coming at a different time of the year. I suppose that if it is the same mosquito ,it thrives in clean water lying around rather than the dirty swampy water one always assumes is the problem

What I heard from my medico is that you can have dengue over and over again. Chikungunya---if you have it the "right" way (with very high fever and the horrible rash) imparts immunity. Not sure about Zika.

But here's the thing:

The good news is that is soon as you become symptomatic--and you have to be aware of the symptoms if you live/stay here for any length of time--you get the blood test to find out which one it is. There are tons of doctors who make house calls, so you just hook up with one, who will fire up an IV (because they LURVE the IV---see my blog posts on this site) that will provide the necessary hydration. Hydration is the secret.

It's no worse than having 'flu (which sux, especially if one is alone), but with sufficient salt/mineral/electrolyte replenishment, and liberal doses of naproxen/tylenol/ibuprofen/codeine/analgesic of choice, it's not the end of the world. Get somebody to bring you coco water. Smoke some reefer, so good for aches and pains. Not that I would know anything about obtaining an illegal substance....

And call me. I make great chicken soup.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Well, at least I can pronounce this one.

Unlike chikagumanyaya, or dengewey

Cue the people who sell those natural 'medicines' on the FB Everything Cab/Sosua pages... You have a new client base to fear monger!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you Meemselle yes I most certainly had all the pains and rashes that Chikungunya brings, doubled in pain as I am arthritic in the first place. I actually have some pain killing drugs which have some cocaine in them..perfectly legally purchased abroad and openly brought into the DR and what with these and massive amounts of gatorade , I have so far survived. But, I can do without zika.