More Fun Once Again With The ATM Debit Card

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I just received this new card from my bank with the chip and now I can barely get any money out of the ATM's here in Santo Domingo.

Before with the magnetic strip only card, I was able to take out money with Asoc. La Nacional with no problems and large amounts as well.

Now the transaction times out after going through all of the particulars and no money. Interestingly, it debits the account, but then automatically reverses the debit right away.

I was able to get some money with the card at Banreservas-before my magnetic strip card would not work at all with this bank, but now works with the chip card. However, it appears that I can only get RD$2,000 per transaction at the ATM. I tried $RD4,000 and $RD5,0000 and both timed out and no money dispensed. Crazy that I can only withdraw $RD2,000 per transaction out of this Banreservas ATM.

I will try Banco Progreso next. I called my bank (Schwab) and they said it is all on the end of the banks here in DR that are causing these problems.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
They all seem to be different. But, Banco Popular has seemed lately to be consistently limit 8000 pesos per transaction, 195 peso fee. They seem to want to collect more fees. You can do multiple transactions of 8000.

Last time - Scotia Bank (they have had a higher limit), the limit was 12,000 pesos. (Screen said you could withdraw 20,000). But 200 peso fee.

Progresso used to be better. But, I think their limit is still 10,000 compared to BP, where I have my money.

For comparison of worst situation, Bayahibe, Banreservas. Limit 2,000 pesos. Same fee. Can do multiple transactions, but what a cost.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
They all seem to be different. But, Banco Popular has seemed lately to be consistently limit 8000 pesos per transaction, 195 peso fee. They seem to want to collect more fees. You can do multiple transactions of 8000.

Last time - Scotia Bank (they have had a higher limit), the limit was 12,000 pesos. (Screen said you could withdraw 20,000). But 200 peso fee.

Progresso used to be better. But, I think their limit is still 10,000 compared to BP, where I have my money.

For comparison of worst situation, Bayahibe, Banreservas. Limit 2,000 pesos. Same fee. Can do multiple transactions, but what a cost.

I've done two transactions with Banreservas with the chip card of $2,000 each over the last few days and no fee at the ATM in Ikea-SD. Problem is that I can't do anymore than $2,000 per transaction. Before at Asoc. La Nacional, I was withdrawing as much as $15,000 per transaction and no fee.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Walk into the bank and get cash advance with the card, limits are higher.

Not sure you can do a cash advance with a debit card at the banks in DR. Even so, there is probably a fee involved of some sort-let alone the risk involved with them making a photocopy of your card-which is never a good idea here.

Sep 4, 2012
Not sure you can do a cash advance with a debit card at the banks in DR. Even so, there is probably a fee involved of some sort-let alone the risk involved with them making a photocopy of your card-which is never a good idea here.
Of course it can be done, I've many times, no fees.

Sep 4, 2012
I've used banco popular and reservas not sure the limit, although I believe it can be tied to the limit on your own DC.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
-let alone the risk involved with them making a photocopy of your card-which is never a good idea here.
If the card is a chip-only card the risk you incur when they make a photocopy should be nearly zero. The chip card cannot be easily copied and cloned as a magnetic-stripe card can because the micro-chip (a tiny computer) contains advance circuitry inside, that cannot be easily reproduced by unauthorized parties. That is why they are moving to chip-cards. See THIS, which includes:

======================
"If someone copies a mag stripe, they can easily replicate that data over and over again because it doesn't change," says Dave Witts, president of U.S. payment systems for Creditcall, a payment gateway and EMV software developer.

Unlike magnetic-stripe cards, every time an EMV card is used for payment, the card chip creates a unique transaction code that cannot be used again.

If a hacker stole the chip information from one specific point of sale, typical card duplication would never work "because the stolen transaction number created in that instance wouldn't be usable again and the card would just get denied," Witts says.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
girls are taking chip cards whats the problems here?? just spend it all there maybe she give you change

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have a Lloyds bank card from the UK which also has a chip in it. it has become less and less acceptable in many ATMs. The exception being Banco Popular. I can withdraw up to RDS10,000 per transaction with a fee of RDS195. I once used my card over the counter inside a bank to withdraw from the visa debit card. Got well and truly stung with the fees and exchange rates.

Feb 7, 2007
You probably should try ATMs for the banks that already issue chip cards in the DR, I know Banco Santa Cruz works well with chip ATM cards (at least their own ones).

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I have a Lloyds bank card from the UK which also has a chip in it. it has become less and less acceptable in many ATMs. The exception being Banco Popular. I can withdraw up to RDS10,000 per transaction with a fee of RDS195. I once used my card over the counter inside a bank to withdraw from the visa debit card. Got well and truly stung with the fees and exchange rates.

This is my concern as well about withdrawing money at the counter in the bank-being hit with fees, etc. Also, the security concerns, but several posters say they are doing withdrawals at the counter without fees and there shouldn't be a security issue with a chip card. However, there is a lot of cloning going on with cards in DR and my concern is they make a photocopy of your card in the bank.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

I would recommend Western Union instead. Between the foreign exchange and ATM fees with multiple transactions, WU is cheaper and does not require you to turn your ATM card over to anyone that could photocopy it.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I would recommend Western Union instead. Between the foreign exchange and ATM fees with multiple transactions, WU is cheaper and does not require you to turn your ATM card over to anyone that could photocopy it.

In my case, it is far less expensive to withdraw cash from the ATM with this card-since all the fees are reimbursed. Also, far more convenient than the WU process of obtaining money. Problem is finding an ATM that will disburse larger amounts of cash using a chip card in DR-sounds like BP and Banco SC might work.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Have you spoken to your bank and asked them to increase the withdrawal limit on your card? My chip card issued by BanReservas allows $15,000 per day in a single transaction. I haven't yet tried to do a second withdrawal same day.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Have you spoken to your bank and asked them to increase the withdrawal limit on your card? My chip card issued by BanReservas allows $15,000 per day in a single transaction. I haven't yet tried to do a second withdrawal same day.

I can do $45,000 per day on my card-that's the limit.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

It doesn't matter what your bank has your limit set at - ours is $1,500USD a day. It's the individual ATM that sets the amount of how much they will give you in one transaction. Sometimes ATMs from the same bank, in different locations, have different amounts as a maximum withdrawal.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
It doesn't matter what your bank has your limit set at - ours is $1,500USD a day. It's the individual ATM that sets the amount of how much they will give you in one transaction. Sometimes ATMs from the same bank, in different locations, have different amounts as a maximum withdrawal.

Yup-Banreservas ATM's with no fee-$2,000 max withdrawal-those with a fee-probably much higher, but I have not tested it yet.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
So give us a step by step of how to withdraw money from one's bank account with Western Union. This has been recommended here on DR1 before, and I have never been answered as o how it is done.
Thanks
Der Fish

I have a Scotiabank account in Canada. I can do a Western Union Money transfer from my account online. The maximum per day is $999.99CAD. The fee for the maximum is $18.96CAD. The option to do this is under the transfer tab option online. I also have a TD Canada Trust account with the same options.