Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Meaning of "one"

I have recently happened upon the word or abbreviation, "one", inscribed on the wall at the entrance of my residence. I paid it no mind, at first thinking it was some graffiti or somes kid's message of some sort. What subsequently got my interest was it was also posted outside other homes in my area. I asked around, nobody seemed to have an answer. I traveled to Higuey and saw the same thing outside the homes and businesses of some friends. I inquired of them and they had no idea of what was occuring. A common factor for them all, the writing was in red and on occasion there was an actual numeral adjacent to the written word.

I don't know what is going on, feel as though there is some Passover type thing (marking the doors with lambs blood) being played upon us for some reason. Anybody have knowledge of this? Regards, PJT

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CDE

Could it be the electric company setting up their new meters and billing system? Last year in Sosua they were marking all the homes while installing the meters so that they could efficiently (hah!) invoice their customers.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking one reply

Jane, thanks for your response. Someone else had offered that explanation and I had dismissed it because my area is serviced by a private power consoritium with a 7/24 power supply and Higuey's supply is public, subject to brownouts. I don't think the graffiti is common to both. Regards, PJT

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have another theory

It could be that ONE (Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas) is making some sort of property census in your area. It makes lots of sense to me, the next census is supposed to be done this year.

Check: www.one.gov.do

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One is the loneliest number.....

I would prefer to think of it as DR cheerleading, as in We're Number One.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Organisacion Nacional de Epidemias

I think it is the control of diseases, like malaria and others...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas

Pib, thanks, your reply makes the most sense. There has been some communication recently that the government will be assessing property for taxes. This may be an indication of the beginning of the process. Regards, PJT

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Organisacion Nacional de Epidemias

Originally posted by Squat
    I think it is the control of diseases, like malaria and others...
    Did you make that up? I have never heard of that.

I still believe that it has to do with some kind of census. ONE is the one in charge of censing and next census is fast approaching. I've seen the sign on many places already.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default vaccines register

Like Squat mentioned, in my neighborhood every house was marked last year that contained children, for the Polio vaccine.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ONE

Quoted from Listín Diario
    ...se está haciendo trabajo de campo para actualizar la cartografía de Santo Domingo, San Cristóbal, Santiago y Monte Plata. En las demás provincias ya se realizó esa tarea...
    La actualización de la cartografía permite establecer las nuevas viviendas que hay en un lugar y las que se han eliminado. De esa forma se pueda hacer un trabajo con más exactitud. El próximo paso es agrupar de forma gráfica los datos. Esta tarea está a cargo de un equipo de arquitectos que trabaja en la ONE.
    Explica
    In short: ONE (Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas) is doing some field work in the entire country to design the maps that will be used for the next census. The census is scheduled for "the next months".