Any update information on Dengue or Chicachunga (?)

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'm sorry to say I think I have one of these, bad headache and achy legs. I have been taking anti grippe meds and that takes the pain away but it comes back.

Any miracle solutions or suggestions would br greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Ro

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
go to the doctor and take blood test. stop taking whatever meds you are on if they contain aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen.

symptoms of both include fever, body pain, headache and rash. if you start to vomit get to the hospital asap, it's not a good sign.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Just had a blood test taken;not taking aspirin, ibu or naproxen. Have no fever or rash. Should have results later today on one test and Monday on the other. Then I'll know. And we'll go from there. Thx

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dengue may not show up on an early blood test.

Fluids - Pedialyte if you can get it... Gatorade/Powerade if you can't.
Drink Ensure

Forget the local 'fruit juice' cure/idea... not much good.

As dv8 says, acetaminophen only.

There is no antidote.
You may need the pain pills....Tylenol type
6-9 days if you have it.

re-reading,
if you had no fever, it's not dengue

VERY high fever to start dengue and continues at 101-102 thereafter

Good news for you. -- no fever

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
good thing for hydration is agua de coco but don't overdo it. you can also buy hydrating powder from the pharmacy, a bag should cost about 50 pesos and there is variety of flavours. mix with one liter of clean water. it's not tasty but very effective.

i forgot to add that in critical stage of dengue (between 3rd and 7th day) the temperature may go down. so no fever is not necessarily an indication of being dengue free.

there has been few articles in the press lately about increased number of patients with gripe, it's a seasonal thing, apparently. so don't worry.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The initial temperature spike has been my 'tip off'...

and is has never abated during the incident.... never.

as I have reported, skin peels off afterwards.
This past time, my elbows peeled.... forehead, hands & feet other time

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
First lab results are back, negative for Dengue. More results on Monday - hope they can tell me what it is I have!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
First lab results are back, negative for Dengue. More results on Monday - hope they can tell me what it is I have!

i'm glad to hear that. hope you get better soon. don't overdo things during holidays, just chill and rest.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There are so many different virus going around that it could be anything.. The chikungunya ,which I had for some 18 months , normally presents itself with rashes somewhere on the body , it could be wrists or ankles or feet or hands and if you have that you really cannot even move out of bed. So from what you write , I would suggest it is a virus that you can treat with paracetemol , lots of fluids and rest.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thank you all. I'll wait until Monday to see the results and then act accordingly. And I plan to lay low for the weekend and upcoming holiday. It helps that i have a 4 or 5 week old kitten that I rescued. Happy Holidays.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Flying down early tomorrow, just made a run to the store to buy a giant bottle of Tylenol, after reading this thread. We're normally naproxen/ibuprophen users, but just in case.

Of course, now that I've bought it, we probably won't need it. Let me rephrase that - I hope we won't need it!!!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Harleystock, hopefully Monday I'll know for sure. So far so good. The pharmacy gave me good meds that take the pain and aching away. It's called Dolfenex. And my kitty is a sweetie, little trained, sleeps through the night and is now eating kitten food, as compared to me feeding her with a syringe.

Harleystock, hopefully Monday I'll know for sure. So far so good. The pharmacy gave me good meds that take the pain and aching away. It's called Dolfenex. And my kitty is a sweetie, little trained, sleeps through the night and is now eating kitten food, as compared to me feeding her with a syringe.

Sounds like a good kitty, Ty for Saving her!

I thought I had dengue yesterday but I think it is just sickness from my tooth infection I had. I have never been so nervous when getting headaches before!! Lol I'm feeling much better today, hope you are too!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I think I'm on the mend. Wanted to say the lab I went to was Labortorio Clinico Puerto Plata in Sosua across from Playero. One person there spoke English, very nice, very clean, took me promptly. Had I gone to a doctor and had a Rx it would have been covered by insurance. I didn't so it was 1120 pesos ($25 approx). The results would be one test the same day, the other tests on Monday. They have the available for online results giving me a user name and password, and the results were to have been posted in an hour. Well it was Dominican time but it was posted eventually. So I can check on Monday to see the other results.

If I want any explanation or more details, I can go back to the lab.