air mattress / foam bed

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Wondering if there are any good sources for a decent air mattress, folding cot, or one of those 4 or 5 inch thick foam pads used as a VERY occasional bed for a couple of nights. When we need to host an extra person or two.

Don't want junk that won't last a night... and willing to pay appropriate price, but not looking to get gouged.

In El Cortecito area, willing to drive a bit to get one. Illumel? (probably pricey), Plaza Llama (quality???), the place out near Friusa that specializes in bamboo furniture (forget the name).

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I recall seeing air mattresses at Pola. Seemed good. National sometimes has some too, camping type.

May 29, 2006
I was thinking of making a mats of dollar store pool noodles, but they're $5 apiece in the DR and it takes ten to make one. I need something for her two kids when they stay over.

I don't trust air mats.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are many stores, usually fabric stores in the DR, that sell the high density foam used for mattresses and usually the fabric for covering it. We had ten made for the school here in Jarabacoa.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pricesmart has intex air mattress, queen size. cannot remember exact price, 3,000 pesos?

May 29, 2006
There are many stores, usually fabric stores in the DR, that sell the high density foam used for mattresses and usually the fabric for covering it. We had ten made for the school here in Jarabacoa.

Do you recall the cost? I'm hoping between 4000 and 5000 for two, vynyl covers if possible. They would be around 25" x 60" for the kids.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
twin size blow up at walmart are under twenty bucks. have your guests bring them. no bigger than a shoebox

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
They actually have very good mattresses at IKEA in Santo Domingo. You can check their online katalog and they send the items to their pick up point in Punta Cana or in Santiago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Do you recall the cost? I'm hoping between 4000 and 5000 for two, vynyl covers if possible. They would be around 25" x 60" for the kids.

this foam stuff is dead cheap. just go to the nearest tapiceria and ask about the price. make sure the covers have a zipper so they can be taken off and washed if necessary.

twin size blow up at walmart are under twenty bucks. have your guests bring them. no bigger than a shoebox

they may be small but air mattresses are heavy, they would take a lot of weight from the pitiful limits set by airlines.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ the OP, first thing I would consider are the ages of the overnight guests. Sure a thick piece of covered foam would work just fine for kids. If the guests will be adults I would just dig a little deeper in my pocket and go for a quality queen size air mattress.

If you can get your hands on something like this you will never regret it. I have had this one for three years without a single problem.

120s5dj.jpg

Use your imagination and you would be surprised how often the air mattress will come in handy for other than overnight guests.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I sent you PM.. I have queen sized air mattress ( motorized) if you want.. had it before the furniture arrived apparently we live close.. cheers..