Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Becoming a used car dealer in Santo Domingo

Is it possible for someone to move to Santo Domingo and start a used car lot there. I am a car dealer who currently lives in Columbus Ohio and I plan to move in the next couple of months. Is it possible to import used cars from the US? If so can someone point me towards the right directions where i can find the correct information.
    -Michael

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Send a private message to playacaribe2. I'd bet he can answer all your questions.

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you want to do the paperwork and the expense of becoming a resident I think you are wasting your time. The auto industry here is controlled by a few prominent citizens and it would be very difficult to get on the inside of this group.

4. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldnt I just operate through someone that is already a resident? Someone I trust there?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mboydii View Post
    Couldnt I just operate through someone that is already a resident? Someone I trust there?
    Uh oh. Is this someone who you trust a love interest? A relative? Trust like that can be a disaster.

Admin
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That is not an answer. Why couldnt I just move through someone else?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

There are used car dealers on each corner and in between in Santo Domingo.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shark Bait ?

Quote Originally Posted by mboydii View Post
    Is it possible for someone to move to Santo Domingo and start a used car lot there. I am a car dealer who currently lives in Columbus Ohio and I plan to move in the next couple of months. Is it possible to import used cars from the US? If so can someone point me towards the right directions where i can find the correct information.
    -Michael
    Wondering why move to the DR when there is more opportunity and protection in the US?

How much time have you spent in the DR to immerse yourself into the culture, especially the business culture?

Yes, you can import cars from the US. Used cars that enter the country can be no older than 7 years.

News releases in recent months indicated three associations of about 1200 used car dealers complained to the government that Customs increased the valuation of used cars entering the country. The dealers allegedly are saying the action of Customs is forcing them into bankruptcy. Unless you belong to an association you have very little or no protection from the sharks circling you. If you have no Dominican roots you are shark bait.

The business is one of fierce competition for the few buyers able to afford used cars. You could do better selling aftermarket or used auto parts.

You need to research in the DR.

Regards,

PJT

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't seem to want to hear us. Send a pm as you where advised in post #2. If you still want to go ahead bring bags of cash and you will do well. Really you will be fine.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So what you are saying is that I couldn't make money selling a 2010 vehicle there when I am buying it for $3000 here in the states. I am almost tripling my money here. Why couldn't I do something remotely close to that there when the prices seem to be even higher there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast