A different Christmas for me in the DR

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This Christmas is the first year I spent in the DR that I felt better. I dont usually get caught up in the whole shopping buying presents for everyone which they usually return within a few days anyway. People say Christmas is about giving, especially to those who need it most. Mi esposa is perfect example of one who really loves her country, her people and the beautiful mountains and beaches. The three things she is not proud of is; the high crime, garbage on the streets (littering) and the amount of hopeless poor people. She has been doing little things for a few years now like helping the poor by providing free dental work, organizing groups of people to pickup garbage in the parks/streets etc. And this year we took it to a higher level. We collected used clothes from friends/acquiantances, (she even went door to door asking people if they had any) We collected a few small donations which we added our own money and purchased bags of food which we also gave out. I have some fotos and caught a few minutes on my Smartphone video of handing some of this to the people in Santo Domingos poorest barrios. Here is the YouTube video of that https://youtu.be/DLGtn6yRlQA . This country and its people need a lot of help and the government as we know just looks past it. I encourage everyone (I know many of you already do this) to do whatever you can to make a difference for those in need. Mi esposa has inspired me this year to do so and I hope her message can do the same for you. You can see some of what has been done over christmas on her Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/drdientesblancos/ I hope you all had a great holidays and a happy new year!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I hope you are encouraging Dominicans to do the same.

Good point! this is an expat mainly f?rum but YES she is definitely trying to spread the Word locally. She has even met with Domingo Contreras and other political types in hopes of inspiring them as well.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This effort is ongoing and not just for Christmas so if anyone is interested in supporting the cause please do by Giving what you can to those who need it most. If you live in SD or want to send ?tems to SD we can make sure they are dispursed to the right people. If this is the case join Rosa' page and keep in touch there as she is not on dr1.com. https://www.facebook.com/drdientesblancos/. I hope you all have a chance to watch the 2 minute video and share it through your networks so maybe we can inspire others. Thanks in advance!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I will never understand the love of garbage folks have here.

It has to be that; how many times have you seen colmados with folks sitting surrounded by empty bottles on the floor around them?
People who eat something from a bag and throw the empty bag and napkin on the ground in front of them?
Folks who throw garbage in ca?adas and streams where it collects outside their house?

it is plain laziness to dispose of it properly.

It has to be that; how many times have you seen colmados with folks sitting surrounded by empty bottles on the floor around them?
People who eat something from a bag and throw the empty bag and napkin on the ground in front of them?
Folks who throw garbage in ca?adas and streams where it collects outside their house?

The first time I went to a baby shower in my barrio I was pretty shocked when the man of the house took my plate and cup from me and just threw it over the barbed wire fence in the cow pasture. I was like...did that just happen?! Iya!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

This part of the culture is disgusting to me! It seems kids are not taught this at home or school. Garbage makes floods worse which causes diseases such as malaria, dengue, plus make sthe country look and smell like a garbage dump. Here is a 1 minute video i took on Christmas eve day. This across the streets from the Malec?n cinema between colonial zone and gascue. https://youtu.be/hJ8vbQrjmIE

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
And they love their plastic plates and cups..even at home. Is it so hard to do some dishes??

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Every Dominican school kid learns about protecting the environment and the ills of pollution , however children follow the examples of their parents and peers. Until the government develops a strategy of both education and enforcement, nothing will change. What the DR really needs to about a half dozen solid waste plants than turn garbage into electricity.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-burning-garbage-to-produce-energy-make-sense/
Is a great idea but probably will raank far below the "lining of pockets" on the government level. As for enforcement, I agree 100% this is the way plus extra collections for the coffers. If you litter you pay 2000dop 1st offence and it scales for repeat offenders. If someone is too poor to pay, they will have to do 1 day in jail 1st offence and again scale up for repeat offenders. Their wallets or their freedom should clean up the country. Better yet they go on "garbage duty" if they cannot pay

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
How to encourage garbage cleanup

2jdhzlh.jpg
[/IMG]
That would be the best for learning is to spend a day picking up along the side of the road or in a field filled with garbage. Set a quota of so many kilos of trash instead of making it a one day thing.
Der Fish
Here is a collage of fotos from some of last weeks outings, my point look on the back of Rosa' blue dental t-shirts. Bottom left foto on collage.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The follow up New Years eve Giving! We spent all day on new years eve in the Colonial zone, we gave out some money and food to the poor people. We made a 5minute video that was a last minute experiment with a Dominican friend to see how Giving people will be on this day. What was really sad is an old lady probably 75+ lives and sleeps on the conde and has very Little. Mi esposa Rosa spent some time with her and the lady offered her some bread she had to eat. She has no family and seems quite intelligent. Its sad to see someone at this age in this position. We gave her some money that really made her happy. We will check in with her from time to time and make sure she is ok.We captured some on the Smartphone and may upload another time. Here is the video we did make. https://youtu.be/k5ZmVpz8W8Q

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This Christmas is the first year I spent in the DR that I felt better. I dont usually get caught up in the whole shopping buying presents for everyone which they usually return within a few days anyway. People say Christmas is about giving, especially to those who need it most. Mi esposa is perfect example of one who really loves her country, her people and the beautiful mountains and beaches. The three things she is not proud of is; the high crime, garbage on the streets (littering) and the amount of hopeless poor people. She has been doing little things for a few years now like helping the poor by providing free dental work, organizing groups of people to pickup garbage in the parks/streets etc. And this year we took it to a higher level. We collected used clothes from friends/acquiantances, (she even went door to door asking people if they had any) We collected a few small donations which we added our own money and purchased bags of food which we also gave out. I have some fotos and caught a few minutes on my Smartphone video of handing some of this to the people in Santo Domingos poorest barrios. Here is the YouTube video of that https://youtu.be/DLGtn6yRlQA . This country and its people need a lot of help and the government as we know just looks past it. I encourage everyone (I know many of you already do this) to do whatever you can to make a difference for those in need. Mi esposa has inspired me this year to do so and I hope her message can do the same for you. You can see some of what has been done over christmas on her Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/drdientesblancos/ I hope you all had a great holidays and a happy new year!

You truly have the spirit of the holiday in your heart and mind. Thankyou.