Any DR Drone Opeators Out There?

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I am planning to bring my Drone out there next visit. I have some questions for other operators to make sure I have all the requirements and connections necessary. I have been flying but I am new to aeriel video and traveling with gear. If you are out there please respond. thanks in advance.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Hello thanks for the response. First I have a Phantom 3 Standard. I have it with a mini ipad that gets internet thru my cell phone. Do you have a contract phone out there that connects to internet wi fi? I know I have an old blackberry that I use out there on hot spots. Do the contract phones have good service wi fi internet in many regions?
Second do you have any issues transporting lipo batteries? I looked it up on Jet Blue website and all it says is I must have it on carry on and in some sort of fire retardant case. Do you take your controller in carry on also if it has lipo rechargeable batteries in it?
Third are there any rules where a drone can be flown or not? Any registration or something like that?

That's a start and I do appreciate your input.

Joe

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
Interesting subject. I thought of taking my drone and get some aerial of my land in Costambar and the beach close by. Maybe do some panoramics of some of the real estate that's for sale in the area and see if any of the agents wanted the footage.

Jan 9, 2004
Hello thanks for the response. First I have a Phantom 3 Standard. I have it with a mini ipad that gets internet thru my cell phone. Do you have a contract phone out there that connects to internet wi fi? I know I have an old blackberry that I use out there on hot spots. Do the contract phones have good service wi fi internet in many regions?
Second do you have any issues transporting lipo batteries? I looked it up on Jet Blue website and all it says is I must have it on carry on and in some sort of fire retardant case. Do you take your controller in carry on also if it has lipo rechargeable batteries in it?
Third are there any rules where a drone can be flown or not? Any registration or something like that?

That's a start and I do appreciate your input.

Joe

IDAC, the civil aviation authority has recently issued rules/guidelines and registration requirements to legally operate a drone in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
IDAC, the civil aviation authority has recently issued rules/guidelines and registration requirements to legally operate a drone in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Who will enforce these rules? AMET? :squareeye

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I too have a Phantom, only Vision Plus. My controller emits a wifi signal that connects to the drone's camera and to my IPhone and it is through the IPhone that I get the FPV, no internet necessary. I think your drone works very similarly to mine, so internet on the phone, or 3G or 4G signal will not be an issue. I had good satellite connectivity everywhere I flew,m which was in Santo Domingo and Las Terrenas.

I flew JetBlue and like you I was concerned about bringing the batteries on the plane. I did not have any issues. I bought a foam backpack specifically for the drone and brought it on as a carry on. It does seem to me that if one of those batteries exploded mid flight and ignited a bag, or something, it could be disastrous. A plume of toxic smoke would quickly fill the cabin and I don't know if the air handlers on the A-380, or whatever, are good enough to clear out that kind of smoke... I think hard fire proof carrying cases for such batteries is a reasonable regulation but as far as I know, there is no such regulation or requirement.

I was vaguely aware of the IDAC regulations. But I figured there are countless laws and regulations in the DR that are not enforced, drone regulation is pretty far down the list.

PM me if you would like the link to a video I made, including drone shots and non-drone shots!

Good Luck!

Jan 9, 2004
Who will enforce these rules? AMET? :squareeye

That will be the responsibility of the Ministry of Drones to be headed by a yet to be announced relative of a politico, and enforcement will be carried out by the appointment of a new General and staff right after the next election and procurement of the necessary office space, apartments and furnishings, cell phones, jeepetas and ATV's.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That will be the responsibility of the Ministry of Drones to be headed by a yet to be announced relative of a politico, and enforcement will be carried out by the appointment of a new General and staff right after the next election and procurement of the necessary office space, apartments and furnishings, cell phones, jeepetas and ATV's.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

all Dominican ministries are Ministries Of Drones.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
What are you planning on using the Drone for? I think if you stay away from all the major Airports and the like you should be fine.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What's the probability of it being shot down by the trigger happy Dominicans?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Fly low. Stay under the radar and you will be just fine.
Asking around for "permission" from the authorities and like minded folks will only cause you problem$.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I fly my P3P around without any problems. I use a Apple Mini 2 with WIFI. I cache the map before I leave my home.
I practice safety, I don't fly over crowds. Its those stupid people that will get this hoppy destroyed.

Here is an example of one of my flights:
[video=vimeo;138807306]https://vimeo.com/138807306[/video]

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Good advice. I have a P3 Standard. I use an iPad mini for the FPV. But I am concerned about without an Internet connection to get map data I won't have a nice satellite view or map view. I imagine just a track would show. Cashe the data hmmmm yeah that sounds like the move. How do you do that? I also bought a lipo bag for the plane large enough to store the batteries and controller that I think has lipo batteries also. I will take these carry on. The phantom and the rest in a hard case in the plane cargo battery free.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
As far as the DR regs I will definitely not be near an airport. For AA fire I don't plan to go over private property either. I think the drone shot at may have been doing a bit of spying. Possibly collecting license plate numbers or some private eye move. Not sure just a guess based on the reaction. Looked like the response of a security detail from behind that very concealing gate.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
when i hear that pkgs and things will be delivered by drones... i think of the " Jetsons" and wonder when a pkge will come to me....

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
and around how much do those drones cost hobbyguys ???

Like everything in the "first world binge column", you can spend a couple hundred bucks, or a couple thousand. The optics, recording, camera gyros and such, is what starts to crank the price up. You can get a set up (if you shop around) for about a grand, and be pretty happy with it.