ITBIS to go up again in 2016

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from dr1 news:

Tax increase on food products in January 2016

The Tax Agency (DGII) is reminding consumers that new tax increases will be applied in January 2016, raising the ITBIS (value added tax) on consumer products including yogurt, butter, coffee, edible oils, sugar and chocolate from 13% to 16%. The measure is included in the tax increases ordered by Law 253-12.

In response, Grupo Ramos (La Sirena, Pola and Ole supermarkets) has announced that it would be absorbing the increase during the first month of January 2016.

in spanish here: http://www.diariolibre.com/economia...bis-por-reforma-tributaria-del-2012-IN2285596

most importantly, tax on alcohol will also go up so stock on your booze while you can.

happy new year!

May 29, 2006
I'm bringing about forty pounds of food goodies with me in a couple weeks. Do I have to worry about paying ITBIS?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
wow so tax on imported things go down but never actually hits the consumor so now the tax goes up....and all the articles about how good the d.r. is doing....revenue up ??? ha ha ha tourism up????haha

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is hardly the fault of the IMF when , as everyone knows that most people living here go out of their way to avoid paying all other types of taxes, and ITBIS is the one tax that is very difficult to avoid except in the markets...But yet even many restaurants try to avoid it by not charging their customers ITBIS if they pay by cash . ITBIS is a regressive tax which I do not like but is necessary here .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is hardly the fault of the IMF when , as everyone knows that most people living here go out of their way to avoid paying all other types of taxes, and ITBIS is the one tax that is very difficult to avoid except in the markets...But yet even many restaurants try to avoid it by not charging their customers ITBIS if they pay by cash . ITBIS is a regressive tax which I do not like but is necessary here .

it is not the fault of the IMF. however, as you quite rightly stated, there is too much evasion and avoidance of direct taxation, therefore indirect taxes have to go up in order to meet the shortfall. the IMF is just a loan enforcer. if you borrow money from any international lending body, the IMF is there to make sure you pay it back. if you have to raise revenue by selling sea shells, that is what is going to happen.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ITBIS is a necessity. note that even shopping in the markets does not really equal escaping it as most of locally grown fresh produce is tax free anyways.