HIV Prevalence in DR

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I was really shocked to discover that HIV was prevalence was so high in the Caribbean. Here in the DR, it is 0.7% which is low the Caribbean which can range up to 3.7% for the population. But, wow! I had no idea. It's the highest outside of sub-Saharan Africa. Higher than Thailand.

For the DR, 0.7% is 20x the prevalence in the United States. It's roughly the same as the male gay population in the United States.

Even more concerning is the prevalence among sex workers. And given the casual prostitution as so few women self-identify as sex workers even though there is clearly frequent quid pro quo sex in both the population and in areas such as Sosua. The percentages range from 6-12% which is staggering. This should be alarming to anybody.

Of course, all the numbers are estimates and generally fuzzy and not precise.

I'm curious why there isn't more HIV education? Or how is the DR addressing the issue? I know there is free quarterly screening for the women in Sosua for STDs and such. I assume there is some education that goes along with that.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am curious why you do not read the various threads that have already dealt with the question of HIV in the DR, relative to other countries.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was really shocked to discover that HIV was prevalence was so high in the Caribbean. Here in the DR, it is 0.7% which is low the Caribbean which can range up to 3.7% for the population. But, wow! I had no idea. It's the highest outside of sub-Saharan Africa. Higher than Thailand.

For the DR, 0.7% is 20x the prevalence in the United States. It's roughly the same as the male gay population in the United States.

Even more concerning is the prevalence among sex workers. And given the casual prostitution as so few women self-identify as sex workers even though there is clearly frequent quid pro quo sex in both the population and in areas such as Sosua. The percentages range from 6-12% which is staggering. This should be alarming to anybody.

Of course, all the numbers are estimates and generally fuzzy and not precise.

I'm curious why there isn't more HIV education? Or how is the DR addressing the issue? I know there is free quarterly screening for the women in Sosua for STDs and such. I assume there is some education that goes along with that.

i do not believe the numbers for a moment. i refuse to believe that the real numbers can be .7 in the DR, and up to 3.7 in other islands. i would like someone to explain the factors which make this even remotely probable.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

I don't think education is the problem. Everyone knows about "SIDA" (AIDS) but for various reasons not everyone protects themselves adequately - often due to pressure from sexual partners not to use condoms etc.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i do not take anything that i read in Dominican media at face value. just last week, i read a self congratulatory article which was headlined by the assertion that the Dominican Republic is the best scuba diving area in the world. not the caribbean. the world. turns out it was just some puff piece from one individual, and the reality is that if you check any other publication regarding scuba, the DR does not appear. so, take things with a grain of salt...or several.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_the_Dominican_Republic

"The prevalence of HIV/AIDS in the Dominican Republic is estimated to be 0.7 percent, which is relatively low by Caribbean standards. However, the percentage among sex workers is estimated to be much higher, ranging from 2.5% to 12.4%, depending on the locale.[14]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate
http://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/caribbean

Digging around, I could find no numbers to refute it.

It's more than possible. There's speculation that the blood plasma trade in the Haiti amplified HIV considerably in the early days of AIDS and that legacy is still with us. This occurred in other areas of the world, but these labs were destroyed so there is no evidence to document (or refute) this.

Apologies if it's a FAQ.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I don't think education is the problem. Everyone knows about "SIDA" (AIDS) but for various reasons not everyone protects themselves adequately - often due to pressure from sexual partners not to use condoms etc.

I agree with the axiom that people are stupid, but I've been to other countries where signs and warnings are pervasive. Of course, efficacy is a different matter as I didn't see any evidence that it dampened business. Hopefully, they made a difference during those critical moments when things are usually out of sight.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Ask a group of minimum wage workers if they know how they can catch HIV and chances are most will say that only happens to homosexuals. I find that people (adults) are just starting to understand how risky unprotected sex can be and even then they'll assume that if someone looks healthy it means they're clean. Very little education in the DR on this subject.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Ask a group of minimum wage workers if they know how they can catch HIV and chances are most will say that only happens to homosexuals. I find that people (adults) are just starting to understand how risky unprotected sex can be and even then they'll assume that if someone looks healthy it means they're clean. Very little education in the DR on this subject.
I suppose it must depend where in the country you are. Where I live on the north coast people from the barrio know about it and know that women can contract it.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
After so many years of HIV being around, who doesn't know?

Have to live under a rock not to. IMHO

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
...EVERY chica in Sosua and at the car wash insists on condoms ..even and especially the Haitians (at least that's what I heard) if one is having unprotected sex he is an extra large idiot

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In general Dominicans do not practice safe sex. This accounts for high pregnancy rates and high std rates. Practice safe sex and its not a problem. Like they said its the result of a lack of education. So long as the catholic church rules there will be no sex ed in schools and it will just go on and on and on. Sad. I do not believe any statistics related to the DR. Last census was a joke.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
i think that its a cop out to blame the church. Resonsibility lies with the parents. Too bad Daddy isnt around and Mom is at the Salon and parties on the weekend.