end of year wages

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Our gardener is paid monthly, at the end of the year (Christmas), legally should we pay him 2 months or 3 months wages ?

Jan 17, 2009
You should give me an extra month of salary, if he worked for the entire year, else you can pro-rate it.

However, if he's not on a salary and he's hired to come once a week as an independent contractor, I don't believe you owe him an extra salary. I believe it applies to employees only--whom you have registered and are paying into the social security system here (which includes health benefits)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Every Dominican worker will expect this extra months Christmas bonus payment regardless of if they are legally entitled to it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Every Dominican worker will expect this extra months Christmas bonus payment regardless of if they are legally entitled to it.

Well, not really, the gardener that comes to mow our grass monthly is not getting any Christmas salary, he's providing a service for which I pay him, he's not my employee. The gardeners who come take care of the common area of our Residencial: same thing.

Our maids are ofcourse not officially employees but they do get their double salary, but any independent contractor / iguala that comes regularly is not getting any double pay.

And definitely not three months. If he IS your employee you would owe him vacation too, but that's 15 working days, based on a 43 hour work week. So if he works 1 day per week for you, you owe him about 3 working days of vacation, after a full year.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The gardeners who take care of the common areas will receive their christmas bonus from their employer.ie..the administration. Independant contractor is an employer and not an employee and will need to pay those who help or work for him . What windeguy was pointing out is that if you have an employee who is not registered and to who is not in any social security scheme , he or she will still excpect the extra month

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
The gardeners who take care of the common areas will receive their christmas bonus from their employer.ie..the administration. Independant contractor is an employer and not an employee and will need to pay those who help or work for him . What windeguy was pointing out is that if you have an employee who is not registered and to who is not in any social security scheme , he or she will still excpect the extra month

Thats the point.... they will want it but you are under no obligation to provide it. We churned our maids over quite frequently and paid them as contractors. We never paid them anything more than a $ 10 gift until the last one. They knew I meant business and would go to my kind hearted American white bread wife and ask for additional pay. The moment they did that it was their death sentence.

The rest of them ie painters, errand boys etc can go to hell too. If they really wanted to get the extra month of pay they should have got a real job, but that is not their style.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Legally no you don't have to. But ,why wouldn't you? I am sure his salary isn't super expensive, and your worker could use it.
I pay the xmas bonus and all that is legally required for my 2 employees, before anyone asks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Legally no you don't have to. But ,why wouldn't you? I am sure his salary isn't super expensive, and your worker could use it.
I pay the xmas bonus and all that is legally required for my 2 employees, before anyone asks.

you said it all...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
legally no you don't have to. But ,why wouldn't you? I am sure his salary isn't super expensive, and your worker could use it.

i would pay what you legally require and fire his ass for trying to swindle an extra month out of you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

you said it all...

I will explain why you might not. Because you hire someone and they do a good job for the first three months. Then they start to screw off and hang on to be "liquidated"... As if getting some extra money for being let go for not doing a good job and now having no job is a good thing. It happens and it happens a lot.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
i would pay what you legally require and fire his ass for trying to swindle an extra month out of you.
If he swindled ,stole, or cheated I would fire him as well. But if he asked, and has done I good job I would give it to him.
If I had the large amount of employees as you do, Bob, I would have to be more , constant to maintain order.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I will explain why you might not. Because you hire someone and they do a good job for the first three months. Then they start to screw off and hang on to be "liquidated"... As if getting some extra money for being let go for not doing a good job and now having no job is a good thing. It happens and it happens a lot.
Yup that is exactly what happens, I could never say your wrong.
I realize I am probably the odd man out on this issue, haha. But my 2 employees do a good job, have been loyal over the last 18 months, and do a wonderful job. So I will alway do the right thing until I have a reason not to.
To the O.P., its your business relationship, and your money, do what is in the best intrest of you.
Me I won't be the gringo that will take advantage of poorer people. ( by no means am I saying anyone who says not to pay the extra month is that gringo) That's just me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If he swindled ,stole, or cheated I would fire him as well. But if he asked, and has done I good job I would give it to him.
If I had the large amount of employees as you do, Bob, I would have to be more , constant to maintain order.

My wife just fired a woman because she was openly screwing around on her husband, but our gardener, who is an occasional employee did get a Christmas bonus, well earned too.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Yup that is exactly what happens, I could never say your wrong.
I realize I am probably the odd man out on this issue, haha. But my 2 employees do a good job, have been loyal over the last 18 months, and do a wonderful job. So I will alway do the right thing until I have a reason not to.
To the O.P., its your business relationship, and your money, do what is in the best intrest of you.
Me I won't be the gringo that will take advantage of poorer people. ( by no means am I saying anyone who says not to pay the extra month is that gringo) That's just me.

I didnt spend a lot of time around gringos per say but they arent the ones taking advantage of poorer people. Their white mmiddle class angst and guilt prevents that. Domincans are world class at taking advantage of poorer people or really any people that they can.

Dont be a sucker for these people, its like having a dog, it never ends well. Treat them as the commodity that they are

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
My wife just fired a woman because she was openly screwing around on her husband.
I give anyone who runs a business here, espacally over an extended period of time lots of credit. It not peaches and cream. This topic is a perfect example and a must read for the next newbie who want to open that bar. Hahah

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I didnt spend a lot of time around gringos per say but they arent the ones taking advantage of poorer people. Their white mmiddle class angst and guilt prevents that. Domincans are world class at taking advantage of poorer people or really any people that they can.

Dont be a sucker for these people, its like having a dog, it never ends well. Treat them as the commodity that they are

Wow, that's some strong advice.
I will always treat every person that works on my property as a human, not as a commodity. I except them to respect my property, and I respect them as men.
How the Dominican treat other people, I can't control. There are a lot of things in the Dominican society I will never emulate, my treatment of others for one.
Having a dog never ends well. Really? Then you never had the respect of a dog, there is no other loyal being on the face of the planet than a well trained dog.
Oh ,I have been posting on this site a long time, other people know that I am the farthest thing from being guilt ridden or full of angst.
But anyway, have a safe N.Y E.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I love dogs and still pay for the care of one of our Dominican dogs at our campo property, we brought two to the states with us. Iam referring to the inevitable tragic ending of the relationship. In the dogs case they get poisoned, the neighbour kills them etc. With the help they end up stealing, lying, cheating or asking for more money

Enjoy your night bro.

I am on call for my employer and will be posting rubbish on the interwebs throughout the evening

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
One thing learned the hard way is that it's better to pay the severance and get rid of a bad employee sooner than later because it'll come back to bite you in the ass. We had a girl come on her hands and knees begging for a job. She hadn't finished high school but my wife hired her as a classroom assistant, which she was actual good at, but she turned out to be pregnant and didn't inform my wife until after she had been on the job long enough to have medical coverage ( yes she was pregnant before asking for the job) , then a year later the government decided that anyone working with kids needed a minimum of high school or proof they were going to school. My wife told her that she needed to go to school or she couldn't work in the classroom. She said she wouldn't go back to school so my wife told she would keep her as a bathroom monitor and cleaner at the same wages until she made up her mind about going to school. She called my wife a few nasty names and left in a huff. Next day a visit from the labour office with a letter saying we owned her .... for termination and why hadn't we given her medical coverage. Well, we hadn't fired her and it was easy to prove she had medical insurance...etc. Rather than get our lawyer involved , it was easier and cheaper to just pay her off. No more mercy hires.
I know many Dominican business people with real horror stories about some of the employees they've had.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It sounds harsh what rfp says but I have the same experience. You treat them well they treat you bad. I'm to polite to have a maid: I ask if they can please make me a coffee when they have a moment. They'll do it, but I know I'm actually the pendejo. My brothers or father in law say: Fulana, cafe!, and it works like a charm. They are used to be commanded not to be asked favors.

Still feel uncomfortable giving orders though.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I agree with what everyone says, Dominicans mistake kindness for weakness, everytime.
It's the delivery that counts, I don't have to lower myself to protect my intrest.
BOB S, I agree with out 100%, a person can do more damage from the inside than outside.