dune buggies, streets legal?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone

Im planning to buy a dune buggy to drive on the streets

How can I get it legal, with matricula, insurance?
What are the process and costs
:)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Who are you buying the dune buggy from? Dealer or private individual? If you don't know the process you are already behind the eight ball. The person you are buying the vehicle needs to provide you with a letter from the local police stating that there are no legal problems with this vehicle. He/She needs to provide you with a contract for the purchase of the vehicle. You will need the current title and proof of insurance and go to Motor Vehicle, probably in Santo Domingo to get the dune buggy registered in your name. If you don't speak Spanish this could be problematic in trying to get this done. Also usually it is part of 2 days to get this accomplished. Good luck.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Yes the are street legal. They are considered a motorcycle and you will provided with a motorcycle plate.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Yes kind of home made

These are the ones the tourists drive to have fun in the campo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let's define dune buggy a bit better. Where I come from they are usually converted VW bugs. Should have the original VW paperwork. But if home made it is a different story.

Very unlikely it is a dune buggy. Far more likely it is a "four wheeler".

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Yes kind of home made

These are the ones the tourists drive to have fun in the campo

To ensure you get the right advise, you may want to post a photo of the vehicle...failing that, you could post an image found on the net of a similar vehicle.

For example, is it something like this?
hqdefault.jpg

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
no its home made buggy
with 150 or 200 cc engine

DGTT define '(four wheel) motor o motocicleta' as attached extract from their Manual de Conduccion.......engine size and weight limits apply. (But don't always believe that what they have written is up to date!)

2ug05z5.jpg

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Hi everyone

Im planning to buy a dune buggy to drive on the streets

How can I get it legal, with matricula, insurance?
What are the process and costs

It needs a license plate, like everything else. And pretty much any insurance company will sell you a basic policy for it. Make sure you at least get the title, and I'd recommend getting the seller to put it into your name.

The downside of these is the rain, for what should be the many obvious reasons.